QoL Mechanics - Namely Commit to Attack System and Picking Items with Full Inventory

This is posted before the beta release, but would still apply if these features haven't been implemented in Hamlet, since I highly doubt my chances of getting a key.

First, in Don't Starve, the attack mechanic is a commit to attack feature, which means that if you were to attack a mob, you are committed to that attack and can't effectively stop yourself. A common example of this is fighting nightmares, where the following attack pattern is possible in DST: attack, dodge, attack. In DS however, you can't do that (or at least not easily, even with certain speed boosts) and have to do dodge, attack. 

Secondly, in Don't Starve, if your inventory is full and there is an item in your mouse/hand, you cannot pick other items on the floor. For example, let's say you were farming wood and you've filled your inventory with it. However in one slot, you have 20 twigs. If you try to pick other twigs, whether it be from the floor or from a sapling, well you just can't. In DST however, you can do that.

These are rather simple mechanics, but I feel that these two features can vastly improve quality of life, since these actions are constantly repeated in the game.

Thanks.

The attack lock mechanic is a feature that I love, every hit is consistant. In DST you sometimes think that you landed a hit but actually you dodged to quickly. Please keep it this way in DS. 

The item pickup thing should just be carried over tbh.

5 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

I'd rather prefer being able to dodge then take a hit because my character won't listen to my WASD if F was pressed.

Maybe thats just me then, I like how the DS attack system feels 10x better.

Archived