Cooling Iron Volacano Using Polluted Water

So I know most people who cool their metal volcano metal (or use them for power) use a vacuum, and usually because of this they don't use polluted water as it can make polluted oxygen which gets rid of the vacuum. I decided I wanted to experiment since I have a regular volcano, an iron volcano, and a polluted water geyser that generates more polluted water then I can use. Also wanted to see if I could be greedy and get some power out of it while i was at it. I'm sure it can be made more efficient in the future but right now it seems to work without overheating for at least 40 cycles so far so I thought I would share it since it seems like not a lot of people have tried this. This generates some dirt, refined iron, and up to 4000 watts of power while consuming 730 watts. Of course that only happens while the volcano is not dormant but this is mostly just to maintain the resources its creating.
Here's the main setup.

5c3d0362404ce_iron_volcano_normalveiw.thumb.png.db9ba926062b2887ad6a056ca236af12.png

The room is full of steam which the heat is spread out by the temp-shift plates, the tungsten metal tiles and the obsidian layer. The insulated tiles are all ceramic. The machines are all made of steel which is important. I made the conveyor belt out of wolframite but I don't think that's necessary anymore (originally was worried about the hot iron melting it but it doesn't seem to transfer the heat of the item its carrying until it goes into a tile, but then it gets spread out pretty fast). Originally I only had one steam generator but it seemed like the heat output was high enough for a second one. Which works although both don't run constantly which is fine. They're just there to cool steam and generate some power as a byproduct (albeit a very nice byproduct). The auto miner is just there because every once in a while the polluted water evaporating generates a tiny amount of sand. The thermo regulator is set to turn on if the temp goes above 490. So it only turns on the polluted water shut off if it starts to get too hot just to maintain temperature. I have the hydro sensor set to 100 kg just to keep it from sending out too much at once. The auto sweeper is connected to the themo sensor on a not gate as well just to make sure it doesnt overheat. The room is basically trying to maintain around 480-500 degrees so it doesn't go over the 527 overheat temp of the steel machines in the room.
In case you want to see the automation but its pretty simple.
iron_volcano_automation.thumb.png.9c701f01d573a16654ef3b0179bb82bb.png
 Obviously the cooling area on the side isn't staying or even remotely viable in a survival world this was just a temp setup in debug just so I could make sure the main part worked. I would probably replace it with an aqua tuner cooling loop which would generate more power with another steam turbine. 

So I tried to use materials that were only available to me at this point in the game even though I tested this (and remade it constantly) in debug mode. The metal tiles are tungsten though I'm not sure that is entirely necessary anymore. The temp-shift plates are diamond but that might be able to be changed I just haven't tested it yet. You do need them covering most of the room though to insure that the machines don't overheat and there is enough heat for the steam generators. The automation wiring was made of tungsten just to make sure it didn't melt, but I think you could get away with something cheaper as well though (probably keep it away from the main part of the volcano).
Let me know if you have any questions or if you test it and find something more efficient. I mostly just wanted something that could run without overheating and cooled down the metal quickly. I'm sure it could be made better but this is what has worked consistently so far.

4 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

Nice design. I’m trying to come up with a dry design myself. Using conveyors for heat transfer and whatnot but with all the new high temp metals it isn’t really important anymore.

This will do the job.

Yea I wanted a way to use some of my polluted water and get a continuous supply of dirt as well as my iron 

39 minutes ago, crbd115 said:

get a continuous supply of dirt

Boiling polluted water gives a really small amount fo dirt compared to using the water sieve. I think it might be more effective to sieve the water before pumping it to the volcano. It will boil at a lower temperature iirc and it won`t form occasional sand tiles when the dirt gets cooked.

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

Boiling polluted water gives a really small amount fo dirt compared to using the water sieve. I think it might be more effective to sieve the water before pumping it to the volcano. It will boil at a lower temperature iirc and it won`t form occasional sand tiles when the dirt gets cooked.

While I realize it's not a lot this is something that I can just leave running and my dupes don't have to waste time interacting with. If i use a siv I then have to give it sand, take the polluted dirt and put it in a compost pile which then I probably have to have a deoderizer which also has upkeep. Also that would take a lot more power since it would be running a lot more often then the auto miner since that only happens about once every ten cycles and also for barely a second of run time. 

Glad to know that worked.  I had a game a while back where there was a cool stream vent and a minor volcano like 5 tiles below it and a poluted water geyser near space, so I was trying to devise a method of dripping water from the poluted water geyser to the volcano to create steam and vent that steam through a steam turbine to the steam vent and then use a miner and autosweeper to remove any build up.  The whole game kept getting eaten by black holes so I ditched it, but it's nice to see that that concept might've worked.

It's also perfect too because my current game has an iron volcano (finally!!!) and I haven't had the fainted idea what to do with it.  This might just be the design I need.

16 hours ago, DemainaNyx said:

Glad to know that worked.  I had a game a while back where there was a cool stream vent and a minor volcano like 5 tiles below it and a poluted water geyser near space, so I was trying to devise a method of dripping water from the poluted water geyser to the volcano to create steam and vent that steam through a steam turbine to the steam vent and then use a miner and autosweeper to remove any build up.  The whole game kept getting eaten by black holes so I ditched it, but it's nice to see that that concept might've worked.

It's also perfect too because my current game has an iron volcano (finally!!!) and I haven't had the fainted idea what to do with it.  This might just be the design I need.

Glad I could help! 

I think you could get away with about 25% of the tempshift plates.  Would be curious to know how many you can remove without negative effect.  I've seen a thread where a lattice with one tempshift for every 4 squares actually out-performs a solid wall in thermal transfer.

58 minutes ago, Lawnmower Man said:

I think you could get away with about 25% of the tempshift plates.  Would be curious to know how many you can remove without negative effect.  I've seen a thread where a lattice with one tempshift for every 4 squares actually out-performs a solid wall in thermal transfer.

Yea I thought about that, I did try a few times but didn't find anything super consistent, The main problem is the second that iron comes out, and when it goes into the metal tiles through the conveyor belt it has to cool the room down to make sure it doesnt go over that 527 overheat temp on the steel machines. Maybe if I moved them as far away as possible I could start cutting some, but I'm also trying to reduce the size a bit as well.

The problem with the design is the pipe that brings in the PW.    It will break because of phase change.   And your design doesn't have  easy way to reenter the chamber to fix it.  No ladders.   etc.  Obviously done in debug or sandbox mode.  not practical live.  As I'm trying to reuse your design live and running into repair problems.

Nice design though.  As it semi works.   Just the pipe for the water is the issue at the moment. maybe a separate slot for dripping PW in and a door mechanism to release it. or maybe move the shut off valve to be outside of the room so the pipe doesn't have any content in the pipe in the room.   it only sends the pw further out.

6 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

The problem with the design is the pipe that brings in the PW.    It will break because of phase change.   And your design doesn't have  easy way to reenter the chamber to fix it.  No ladders.   etc.  Obviously done in debug or sandbox mode.  not practical live.  As I'm trying to reuse your design live and running into repair problems.

Why repair it? If broken it's just going to emit pwater anyway. If anything it's where the valve is that needs changing.

pretty sure when its broken   it won't emit anything. since nothing will flow through it.

you're thinking when it's partially broken and it will leak stuff.  but once it is BROKEN broken.  its done.

the part that breaks is from where the water is sitting in the pipe.  it doesn't break at the vent or the output line.  the pipe breaks at the  input square  and anywhere along the path that is sitting in the room with the heat building up.

most likely the best way to avoid it is just  have the water control point be on the outside where the shut off is not inside the chamber building heat.

14 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

pretty sure when its broken   it won't emit anything. since nothing will flow through it.

you're thinking when it's partially broken and it will leak stuff.  but once it is BROKEN broken.  its done.

the part that breaks is from where the water is sitting in the pipe.  it doesn't break at the vent or the output line.  the pipe breaks at the  input square  and anywhere along the path that is sitting in the room with the heat building up.

most likely the best way to avoid it is just  have the water control point be on the outside where the shut off is not inside the chamber building heat.

Just move the liquid shut off outside the room.  Should be fine because then the only liquid inside the room is the stuff being vented out.

As far as getting into the room, that's pretty easy honestly.  I just dug an oil lock into my set up when things broke during my first attempt.  Accidentally created a naphtha as well in that pool when I broke something and that's been my entry point into this setup.

2 hours ago, DemainaNyx said:

Just move the liquid shut off outside the room.  Should be fine because then the only liquid inside the room is the stuff being vented out.

As far as getting into the room, that's pretty easy honestly.  I just dug an oil lock into my set up when things broke during my first attempt.  Accidentally created a naphtha as well in that pool when I broke something and that's been my entry point into this setup.

Yea- I did that already when I suggested the moving it out.   it works fine now so far.

Archived