What is the point of a stable?

30 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

the derivative creatures are called morphs. I don't know what makes a morb happy, I'm just glad it doesn't have teeth.

ok I have gone over the entire list of critters in ONI and nothing is called morphs

21 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

ok I have gone over the entire list of critters in ONI and nothing is called morphs

They should be brown and look like they are made from Plasticine because they eat any long chain Carbon molecule.

image.jpeg.3f9de313fdab0e303c84c06b6f7bd5e7.jpeg

On 1/25/2019 at 12:23 PM, The Plum Gate said:

Are you sure that it's the act of hatching that makes them tame and not, say, the critters eating out of a feeder? Because I've got hatches in the base also and they're all wild ( I assume because i've never groomed them, fed them from a feeder, etc ).

It depends on the critter from what I understand.  Hatchs, shine bugs, dreckos, pufts, and slicksters I know become tame from being groomed at a station.  Pacu become tame from eating from a fish feeder.  I've never raised a gassy moo or shove vole so can't speak for them.

But, after you tame a critter, all the eggs that critter lays will automatically be tamed upon hatching.

But yeah, shine bugs are hell if you don't confine them.  I had an open drecko ranch in my one base and just let my dreckos make the hop over to my mealwood farm to feast.  Little did I know that having that open door made my ranchers call in shine bugs and suddenly I had 500 some chugging my computer.

As far as getting different varieties though, it seems to just be food related for most critters.  I tend to feed my shine bugs phosphorite since I have so much from all my dreckos and over time my bugs eventually start to evolve to the higher tier ones, but I know a better way to evolve them is to feed them the specific food that will increase their egg laying chance.  Like with dreckos, feeding mealwood is much better for getting glossy dreckos, but bristles are so much easier to set and forget that I just feed them bristles and eventually I get enough glossy ones to handle my plastic needs for the early game.

@DemainaNyx I've been away for awhile since they introduced the new creatures, so I don't know much about the shove voles or the grassy moos, but it's good to know there's a selective breeding method. I was trying to figure out why my shine bugs weren't really evolving beyond sun bug variant, so food is a factor - this is good to know.

I also have population problems, they really explode and I don't feel like fooling with control so much as population maintenance, so I just cull a bunch of the eggs from time to time - otherwise they usually just lay all over the place.

1 minute ago, The Plum Gate said:

so food is a factor - this is good to know.

I also have population problems, they really explode and I don't feel like fooling with control so much as population maintenance, so I just cull a bunch of the eggs from time to time - otherwise they usually just lay all over the place.

If you click on each different type of shine bug, it should tell you the chance of it laying a different egg, and if you hover over those percentages, it will tell you what to feed it to increase it's chance.  The information doesn't appear in the database, which I really wish they would add so everything was in one spot, but it does tell you what each critter will eat in general.  Phosphorite will feed all shine bugs up to Abyss, so it's another easy thing to set and forget and know you'll be evolving them eventually.

One thing I've been doing recently is setting up a bunch of unpowered incubators at a high priority and setting them for each different type of shine bug egg (or multiple for whatever high level eggs you have).  Then I set up an egg cracker at a lower priority than the incubators to always break their eggs.  That way my dupes will crack eggs when they have nothing else to do, and the incubators ensure that I will always have at least one of each variety so my population won't die out.  It's not a fancy approach, but it works and allows my shine bugs to continue to fly around my base without needing to be confined to a specific room.

1 minute ago, DemainaNyx said:

The information doesn't appear in the database

An here I was using the codex - I should have know it was hiding in the tool tips. As far as I was aware, the codex wasn't a finished piece - there are still things lacking. Hopefully they fix this. It seems critical, actually. I figured setting up incubators was pointless for shine bugs because of it.

Fun fact, you can actually cook an egg into an omelet by dropping it in 85C water.. though I don't know if it's a small omelet for shine bugs, or a big one, or just part of one.

7 minutes ago, DemainaNyx said:

It's not a fancy approach,

I don't have any elaborate setups either - in fact none of my grooming stations are in stables for hatches or shine bugs. I may diverge on this for dreckos at some point.

6 minutes ago, Denisetwin said:

Just came back to the game after absence, I haven't noticed this can someone elaborate?

berries only require water.  wheat needs dirt.  dirt is hard to get sufficient quantities as only sieve polluted dirt as source.  fertilizers make fertilizer and not power but fertilizer also requires dirt.

edit. ability to make dirt sustainable is entirely dependent on PW geysers or rocket train to terra planet

Archived