Is there any way to make the dupes prefer items in storage rather than on the ground?

Is there any kind of setting or priority to get the dupes to prefer supplying from a compactor/refrigerator/pump instead of loose items on the ground?  It seems that my dupes will ignore 100t of compacted Granite to run half way across the map for the 2kg necessary to finish the job, even with proximity checked.  Ditto with 1kg Peppers, 100g of water, etc and it gets maddening to see the waste of time.

Yes, I know you can force this to some degree with door permissions but inefficient dupes are still better than idle ones.  Even if they aren't :)

The short answer is "Not Yet". For buildings (Ladders, Tiles, Machines Etc.) I fill a compactor near the area of said project 1st, then que up said project to "Kind" of prevent them from running far away to grab said item for the project. It doesn't work most of the time but it will more or less make the dupes travel less sometimes.

I remember a few upgrades ago there was an issue with dupes ignoring stuff in storage unless you dropped it on the ground. It had nothing to do with the dupe being closer to the debris. They would basically ignore full containers of ore and walk outside the base to pick it up. I had my dupes stuck for 3 cycles in a ladder loop (pick up from the bottom, run out of breath and drop it back) while the storage in the base had over 10t of the requested material.

It stopped being such a big issue lately but i`m not sure if it was fully fixed.

Archived