Can we talk about Liquid Density?

I was wondering why my LOX tank fills up so much faster than does my LH tank, even when O2 intake is throttled down to 25%.

Turns out LOX natural* density is only about 500kg/tile. Compare that with LH, H20, and pH20 at 1000kg/tile. The two screenshots below are LH and LOX in both vacuum tank.
Definition of natural density: when liquid is free-flowing without being pressurized by tile.

20181228020012_1_crop.thumb.jpg.3460275c2d97abbdb94ef0c8e1552132.jpg20181228020016_1_crop.thumb.jpg.ad90e6de93f966ca14f610f25ce10339.jpg

Being curious, I jumped around and checked other liquids natural density. Crude oil is at 1000kg/tile, but Petroleum is at ~750kg/tile

20181228030309_1_crop.png.38cc76d44ee230d6218f79418d3a7f70.png

1 hour ago, gbudiman said:

Either it's a bug or something survivalists need to be aware of when building their LOX tank. Or who knows what sandboxers could do with it.

No, it's not a bug.

Liquids even have different density the lower they're in the pool :) upd. well, you actually made a remark about that.

5 hours ago, gbudiman said:

Crude oil is at 1000kg/tile, but Petroleum is at ~750kg/tile

Yes, which is why you should always leave extra space in any tanks you use to boil oil.  I lucked out the first time and left plenty of room.

Interestingly this also has a big effect on the efficiency of the liquid reservoir as well, as that holds 5t regardless of the liquid's density.  For lower density liquids, this increases its space efficiency compared to keeping them "in the world" vs "in the container".  Of course, there's nothing stopping you from doubling up by creating liquid reservoirs and then flooding the area they're stored in.  This is doable with gasses too.

10 minutes ago, Arcus2611 said:

Though on a related tangent, I do find it a bit odd that water floats on top of oil, when in real life it's the other way around.

The same is true with natural gas, which is heavier in game, though IRL it's used as a lift gas for certain applications.

51 minutes ago, Arcus2611 said:

It's not a bug.

Though on a related tangent, I do find it a bit odd that water floats on top of oil, when in real life it's the other way around.

Yeah it's really weard, even in the game oil has a lower density than water and pwater but water still floats above oil. The same thing with petrolium I think.

2 hours ago, Kabrute said:

its likely 8x the atomic count to result in the same grammage, grams are grams, they don't care about "counts" as weight isn't a measure of quantity per se

Uh, gas pressure works off the number of molecules in a given volume. Assuming ideal gas behaviour, the equation is PV=nRT (pressure x volume = number of moles x ideal gas constant x temperature in kelvins).

So having 8 times as many gas molecules in a given volume would give you 8 times the gas pressure (and actually, it would be 16 times as many H2 molecules for the same mass of O2)

Obviously it doesn't quite work like that in ONI, because for one thing temperature isn't factored in. Hydrogen is probably the way it is because if hydrogen reached its maximum "natural" pressure at 125g per tile it would be an absolute pain to deal with (good luck reaching any reasonable pump efficiency)

Archived