• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

Charlie, a playable character mod (RoG and DST compatible!) 1.4

5 Screenshots

About This File

Howdy! AmaLee here to present to you a playable character mod for Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together; Maxwell's assistant, Charlie!

(If you're not sure who Charlie is, may I perhaps persuade you to take a look at the William Carter Puzzles?)

This description is for all the basic stuff. I'll provide a few more tidbits on the forum thread you can find here.

Currently, I have her uploaded to Steam Workshop here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=395417557&tscn=1424403116 (DS)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=395420686 (DST)

How this mod was possible:

Charlie was made with the Extended Sample Character Mod provided by Dleowolf!

TheDanaAddams' tutorial was also a big help in some of the scripting processes that need to be done to get her perks to work.

The text for her name in her big portrait for DST was graciously given by Jeff Agala over on tumblr, which may be found here!

Thanks to The Noon Fish and Dryicefox for helping me out with her ghost and sounds!

Basic information on the mod:

Charlie's character design was based on the designs seen in 8th William Carter Puzzle. Currently, she has two different "perks": her sanity is drained at a higher rate (x1.25) and her damage updates depending on the time of day. Currently, the rates are as follows:

• Day: x1
  • Dusk: x1.5
  • Night: x2

This should apply to all equippable weapons, as well as disarmed damage.

Sound

Charlie has custom sounds available (meaning she gets her own voice!) in Don't Starve AND Don't Starve Together! Unfortunately, there is a problem with Steam Workshop where custom character mods with custom sound won't get added into the mod lists of players who are subscribed to said mod. So! Charlie with custom sound will only be available here. Please make sure when playing DST that all of your party has the same version of the mod! Sorry for the inconvenience!

(Note: This character will be differentiated from the custom-soundless one as "Charlie (Sound)")

Thank you for checking out my mod! May all of your adventures be gruesome, and if you have any suggestions, please visit the thread linked above!

What's New in Version 1.4   See changelog

Released

Don't Starve

• Charlie now has custom intros from Maxwell in Don't Starve's base game and RoG!

Don't Starve Together

• Updated artwork. New compatibility with pants
  • Updated dialog
  • Update sound: New pose and emote sounds. Just as in Don't Starve, the mod with sound will be known as "Charlie (Sound)". Please make sure that everyone in your party has the same Charlie before playing to avoid complications!
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

hi! i really want to try it but doesnt work for me :/ and charlie is a wonderfull character, im sure in future releses maxwell will try to free her and confront the shadow watcher :A i hioe wilson can free himself and then help maxwell or viceversa . thanks anyway it was to see the character :3 have a nice day :A

So wanted to try this one... First time I have used mods from this page, always used Steam. But since I wanted sound I went here. Altho, i downloaded it and unzipped it in the mod-folder, ingame i activate the mod - it say its activated, but she dont show up on the pick-character-place! :( Sadness... any ideas? Since im a nab at this page maybe its something obvious i do wrong? I downloaded for DS. Looks awesoome... me wanna plaaayyy

hi! i really want to try it but doesnt work for me :/ and charlie is a wonderfull character, im sure in future releses maxwell will try to free her and confront the shadow watcher :A i hioe wilson can free himself and then help maxwell or viceversa . thanks anyway it was to see the character :3 have a nice day :A

Oh dear. Is the game giving you a hard time about using her? Are you getting any specific errors?

So wanted to try this one... First time I have used mods from this page, always used Steam. But since I wanted sound I went here. Altho, i downloaded it and unzipped it in the mod-folder, ingame i activate the mod - it say its activated, but she dont show up on the pick-character-place! :( Sadness... any ideas? Since im a nab at this page maybe its something obvious i do wrong? I downloaded for DS. Looks awesoome... me wanna plaaayyy

That's very odd. Would you mind sending your log file my way, or PMing me so we can try to fix this?

I've been using this one and It works like a charm! I really love it, thank you so much for making it! It runs very smoothly aswell.

it does not work :( select the character Charlie and I apply my selection and up there all right, but when I enter the world does not leave me the appearance of Charlie I always get the appearance of Wilson .... I have tried many times and with the other characters do not this happens, certainly I do not have any other mod on my game with which you can generally conflict Can somebody help me?

On 3/1/2016 at 2:10 AM, AJ said:

it does not work :( select the character Charlie and I apply my selection and up there all right, but when I enter the world does not leave me the appearance of Charlie I always get the appearance of Wilson .... I have tried many times and with the other characters do not this happens, certainly I do not have any other mod on my game with which you can generally conflict Can somebody help me?

Since the mod has not been updated yet, you can add shipwrecked_compatible = true to charlie's modinfo.lua

She'll be missing oars while rowing the boat though. But that's the only problem

• Like 1

Heyo! I really do enjoy this mod and have been playing as her for quite some time now, however I could never seem to get her custom sound to work for whatever reason. It isn't a huge deal however I would definitely appreciate some help with what to do with her custom sound file. I have tried dropping it into her mod folder inside the Don't Starve steam app folder whatever thingy, and I still haven't had any luck with it. Would appreciate some guidance, but it sure ain't gonna stop me from playing as her. Though after a while the flute does degrade on my sanity. Great mod either way, and it would be really epic to see it progress more and more down the line!

With the New Reign developments - especially how Charlie is showing internal/external conflict - I'm happy looking at this mod in the context of the Literal Split Personality trope. Charlie as the Night Monster. Charlie as the master on the Shadow Throne. And Charlie as the innocent victim of Maxwell the Magnificent's hubris.

• Like 1

It would be cool if you give her an ability like how about a hand mirror that emits light when use and repels and kill shadow monster this could be very useful inside caves. every time she equip the mirror it give her sanity boost but using the ability of the mirror to fight shadow monsters will make it break and have to wait 3 days before she can use it again hence she will say "Uh, its broken" if you try to use it again and even though you use the mirrors ability the sanity boost will not be gone as long as you're equipping it though can no longer emit light it can still be use as weapon.

Charlie likes to look at her self in the mirror and uses it to do her makeup when preparing for every performance she does with Maxwell. The mirror was given by Charlies grandmother as a gift before she dies no one knows why it has white magic. while going inside the cave the mirror was a great help for Charlie to be able to go deeper and deeper as she try to find the answers about this world and a way on how to escape this world she wanders too deep and end up meeting the very source of evil beneath where it keeps all its victim alive and imprisoned, including the people of ancient civilization that once live through this world. she fought with it for 6 days straight till she got weaken, thinking that this might be her last breath she offered her life force to the mirror thus releasing immense white magic but it wasn't enough to defeat the source of evil but her sacrifice didn't go to waste for it was able to trap the evil along with her for eternity beneath the earth thus limiting the evils power and its influence above ground. :(

On 2/22/2015 at 9:32 PM, pfm2001 said:

is she immune to the darkness now, seeing as how she is the grue?

Or does she undergo a 'Woodie-like' transformation when she gets swallowed by the darkness? Like, she trashes a random place in the map and then just wake up the next day with decreased stats? IDK, I'm just speculating here.

On 03/06/2015 at 10:26 PM, ColorByNumbers said:

AmaLee - What a wonderful character! I have a lot of fun playing her. The graphics are top notch, the voice is great, and even the dialogue is well thought out (I hadn't noticed before how short she is in the William Carter puzzles!).

With respect to the folks here clamoring for some kind of night vision or darkness immunity, I think that would deviate too much from what the game is supposed to be about. Her dialogue and fear about not letting Them take her back explains the situation just fine.

She plays kind of like Wolfgang - scared of the dark; you go wreck monsters when the time is right.

Two qualities really define Charlie: 1) once and future Night Monster, and 2) Maxwell's apprentice. Her dialogue does a good job with #2, but the mechanics with her character are all about #1. What can be done to show both sides of her? Rapport with rabbits? Less of a sanity hit for using magic? Craftable silk hair-flower that does. . . something?

Really high quality character. Thanks a lot.

I agree with him - rapport with rabbits, less sanity out of control your personality! Strange new powers for she, please.

I could update the game so that charle can see in the dark as in the DST DLC please I would like that not only the DST DLC is I wish it was for all the DLC until the base game since it is only the appearance and damage multiplier because there is no point in her chatting dying by herself, it doesn't make sense is that please I hope you will listen to me and do me the favor I know that you do wonders in don't starve, I hope that wonder is what I beseech.
Edited by RigobertoLara