Playable Charlie Mod! (Information provided, sound assistance and testing needed!)

AmaLee

As the title suggests, I've gone ahead and made a playable Charlie mod! So far she's compatible with Reign of Giants and Don't Starve Together, but having the person who made the mod be the only tester isn't the most reliable source of information! So! I invite everyone to go give her a try by downloading her here.

Currently, I have her uploaded to Steam Workshop here:
http://steamcommunit...tscn=1424403116 (DS)
http://steamcommunit...s/?id=395420686 (DST)

I've already made a a description for the mod, so I'll put what you can find in the description over at downloads in a spoiler here:

Mod Description

Howdy! AmaLee here to present to you a playable character mod for Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together; Maxwell's assistant, Charlie!
(If you're not sure who Charlie is, may I perhaps persuade you to take a look at the William Carter Puzzles?)
This description is for all the basic stuff. I'll provide a few more tidbits on the forum thread you can find here.

How this mod was possible:
Charlie was made with the Extended Sample Character Mod provided by Dleowolf!
TheDanaAddams' tutorial was also a big help in some of the scripting processes that need to be done to get her perks to work.
The text for her name in her big portrait for DST was graciously given by Jeff Agala over on tumblr, which may be found here!

Basic information on the mod:
Charlie's character design was based on the designs seen in 8th William Carter Puzzle. Currently, she has two different "perks": her sanity is drained at a higher rate (x1.25), she has a lower maximum health (113) and her damage updates depending on the time of day. Currently, the rates are as follows:
  • Day: x1
  • Dusk: x1.5
  • Night: x2

This should apply to all equippable weapons, as well as disarmed damage.

What's with the sound folder?:
You may notice in both the DST and DS files that there is a folder marked "sound". I am currently planning on giving Charlie her own sound files, all of which are provided in the folder. Unfortunately, I have yet to figure out how to get her sound files working. I have tried using the character sound mod tutorial made by Malacath, but have yet to get any promising results. If you're interested in helping I'll provide more information on the separate forum thread linked at the top.

Sound Stuff continued (please read this if you think you can help!)
So, yeah. I've taken a look at a couple of sound mod tutorials and keep finding myself stuck. I followed the tutorial as closely as I could, yet kept founding Charlie to be silent. Now, I'm not sure if it's because I've put the code in the wrong spot (I found that to be a pretty big problem when I was trying to get the damage change on phase change effect to work) or if I'm just not naming things right, but the simplest error I tend to get is:
"FMOD Error: Can't play event dontstarve/characters/charlie/talk_LP: The requested event, event group, event category or event property could not be found. "
Or at least, that's what tends to stand out at the bottom of the log file. I'll provide the log files as an attachment to this post. If you'd like any other information that I haven't put, I'll be happy to tell you whatever I can.

OH MY SWEET SWEET PUMPKIN PIES IT IS WORKING. Thank you Kaptain for directing me to that tutorial OTL

Anyways! So yeah. Besides the tutorials, I've kinda just been working on this mod by myself for the past few weeks. Because of that, her dialog might be a little iffy person to person (not because of any questionable bits; I kept the dialog very clean, thank you). It's just kinda hard to make it when all you've got are a couple notes she made in the puzzles and hints from Maxwell. All this kind of stuff is subject to change, especially if any more puzzles relating to her are released!
If you have any questions or suggestions, I'm totally open! Thank you for taking the time to read all this, and I hope you enjoy playing as the Assistant! May your adventures be... gruesome!

Here's a video tutorial to get the sound to work. If you follow the instructions it works, 100%. 

http://www.twitch.tv/dryicefox/c/5747495

That being saidyour mod will not download. Currently your mod in the workshop won't go to anyone's download folder, and I haven't pinpointed the reason yet. It happened to me as well, so I deleted my custom sounds folder, and uploaded it in its original state, sans custom sounds.

If you give the video a watch, and you find yourself stuck I'm "Captain Jujubes" on Steam. You can add me and I'll try to help you on there. At the very least, the sounds will work when you use your local mod file, just not the workshop version.

Here's a video tutorial to get the sound to work. If you follow the instructions it works, 100%. 

http://www.twitch.tv/dryicefox/c/5747495

That being saidyour mod will not download. Currently your mod in the workshop won't go to anyone's download folder, and I haven't pinpointed the reason yet. It happened to me as well, so I deleted my custom sounds folder, and uploaded it in its original state, sans custom sounds.

If you give the video a watch, and you find yourself stuck I'm "Captain Jujubes" on Steam. You can add me and I'll try to help you on there. At the very least, the sounds will work when you use your local mod file, just not the workshop version.

Thank you a ton! I will give that sound tutorial a look asap.

Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of people having issues on Steam Workshop. Is it at least downloading here, or is it having troubles in both places?

I'm totally bummed that someone stole it, but also kinda... honored? That someone though what I did was good enough to upload. Hmm. Thank you to everyone that's supporting me and trying to get it reported! I've tried reporting it myself, so hopefully something gets done.

Also I would like to put a suggestion. Maybe if the cause of death is darkness, (A.K.A. Grue) then she will pass out with low stats rather than dying becoming a ghost

That's actually a pretty good issue to address. If I keep true to what I've been thinking happens when Charlie gets trapped in the dark, I almost feel like having her pass out would be too... docile? Maybe it could be some kind of "game over" for the player? Maybe I'm just mean w

That's actually a pretty good issue to address. If I keep true to what I've been thinking happens when Charlie gets trapped in the dark, I almost feel like having her pass out would be too... docile? Maybe it could be some kind of "game over" for the player? Maybe I'm just mean w

What do you mean by a "game over"?  it's kinda vague in terms of don't starve.

Also, where did you get the voice for Charlie? They sound beautiful.

What do you mean by a "game over"?  it's kinda vague in terms of don't starve.

Charlie's voice files were pretty much made by me taking an orchestral harp font through FL studio and making a few tunes out of it (if you want the soundfont, I'd be happy to send you a copy of the file .w.)

Game over, I mean like, in terms of DST, I guess the player perma-dying? I just have no idea how that would work out without killing the rest of the server OTL

Might be out of place as I haven't gotten into DST modding very much, but how bout something like this.

For simplicity, I'll refer to "being attacked in the darkness with spooky sound effects" as the "Grue effect".

Charlie should affect other players in the darkness. When Charlie is alive, other players shouldn't have the Gruu effect. When she's dead, the player who used Charlie should see the effects of Grue on other players. She can be forced to wander around close to players, especially targeting those who are in darkness, depending on how much they're into it (players in less light prefered over those in more light).

When there are multiple players in complete darkness, the Charlie player should be observing one of them at random, but they would all experience the Grue effect (equally?).

When there are multiple Charlies, they will each prefer to attack a different player, if possible (if there's just one target, they'll gather up on it).

Things to note.

Charlie should not be attackable by the players when in the Grue state.

The player using Charlie should have a client side light, as night vision. Possibly with a tint to add spookiness.

Grue should always avoid players during the day, and remain far away enough to preserve the uncertainty factor.

Used "should" as a figure of speech, not to enforce these ideas in any way.

Charlie's voice files were pretty much made by me taking an orchestral harp font through FL studio and making a few tunes out of it (if you want the soundfont, I'd be happy to send you a copy of the file .w.)

Game over, I mean like, in terms of DST, I guess the player perma-dying? I just have no idea how that would work out without killing the rest of the server OTL

You could probably come up with something reasonable for a regular player but I wonder what a reasonable effect for the host would be.

Might be out of place as I haven't gotten into DST modding very much, but how bout something like this.

For simplicity, I'll refer to "being attacked in the darkness with spooky sound effects" as the "Grue effect".

Charlie should affect other players in the darkness. When Charlie is alive, other players shouldn't have the Gruu effect. When she's dead, the player who used Charlie should see the effects of Grue on other players. She can be forced to wander around close to players, especially targeting those who are in darkness, depending on how much they're into it (players in less light prefered over those in more light).

When there are multiple players in complete darkness, the Charlie player should be observing one of them at random, but they would all experience the Grue effect (equally?).

When there are multiple Charlies, they will each prefer to attack a different player, if possible (if there's just one target, they'll gather up on it).

Things to note.

Charlie should not be attackable by the players when in the Grue state.

The player using Charlie should have a client side light, as night vision. Possibly with a tint to add spookiness.

Grue should always avoid players during the day, and remain far away enough to preserve the uncertainty factor.

Used "should" as a figure of speech, not to enforce these ideas in any way.

I'm kiiinda not following. So, would the grue state pretty much be an another ghost form, only giving her the ability to attack? Would the player still be able to control her?

I'm kiiinda not following. So, would the grue state pretty much be an another ghost form, only giving her the ability to attack? Would the player still be able to control her?

Sorry, I realize after reading it again that I wasn't differentiating between the human player and the Charlie character properly.

No, the player's input (keyboard, mouse, etc) will have no effect on the character (Charlie's Grue form). Grue will automatically move around and stay close to other alive characters, and attack them when they're in darkness. The player will be able to see this, but not control or affect it (or maybe they can very slightly affect it, just to add a false sense of hope).

As an entity, it will be like a grue night monster with it's own automated stategraph brain. The player's view/camera will just follow it around to make it appear as if it really is the player. Since the player is unable to prevent Charlie/Grue from doing anything but harm, it will be like a "game over" for them.

Archived