Chess piece sketches

It says that I can mine rook Knight and bishop statues found in the world for their sketches (for potters wheel). I have to do it during full moon, but on the full moon statues turn into mobs, so I can't mine living npc. What am I doing wrong? I want to avoid looking for trinkets that can be turned to sketches using pig king, bc the chance of finding them is very low 

The sculptures will turn into real clockworks only if mined (one hit), then they'll drop their sketches. So if you want to pick it up, you must be fast or kill them.

It's not like the pigs, who turn into werepigs every full moon, but similarily to the (with the sketches created) sculptures they can be mined to turn them into the corresponding clockwork, but won't turn just by themselves.

47 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

The sculptures will turn into real clockworks only if mined (one hit), then they'll drop their sketches. So if you want to pick it up, you must be fast or kill them.

It's not like the pigs, who turn into werepigs every full moon, but similarily to the (with the sketches created) sculptures they can be mined to turn them into the corresponding clockwork, but won't turn just by themselves.

Won't they turn to the shadow version of clockworks when I mine them? 

46 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

No, that's the set of statues that you make with the sketches you get from mining the ones made with the suspicious marbles. There are two different statue-mining by moonlight events.

So to summarize:

Naturally spawning chess piece statues will turn into regular clockwork and drop sketch upon mining during full moon.

The statue first need to be connected with 'suspicious marble' part that I need to carry on my back. 

Once I get sketch and build my own rook knight and bishop statues, I can mine them during full moon and get shadow clockworks. 

Is that correct? 

BTW. I thought I can basically farm gears each full moon bc of the clockwork spawn. 

9 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

So to summarize:

Naturally spawning chess piece statues will turn into regular clockwork and drop sketch upon mining during full moon.

The statue first need to be connected with 'suspicious marble' part that I need to carry on my back. 

Once I get sketch and build my own rook knight and bishop statues, I can mine them during full moon and get shadow clockworks. 

Is that correct? 

BTW. I thought I can basically farm gears each full moon bc of the clockwork spawn. 

Yes, that's correct, the only thing that you don't mine but hammer during new moon the statues that you built on the potter wheel from the sketches. And yes, it's not god for gear farming as the scultpures can turn into clockworks only once... however as the ruins will regenerate, you can get gears there quite easily.

4 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

So to summarize:

Is that correct? 

Exactly.

1 hour ago, Rellimarual said:

Is it also true that the rook/knight/bishop statues only convert to shadows on the new moon if they are made out of cut stone rather than marble? I have been under that impression.

I believe that it doesn't matter which material they are made from, they convert anyways. I haven't tested it lately, but at the beginning I remember that I made a whole chess-set and hammered one on the new moon to see what happens. I had unbelievably many shadows chasing me... :D 

12 hours ago, Parusoid said:

So to summarize:

Is that correct? 

Well, you can also mine the big statues during the new moon to spawn the shadow clockworks, and along with dropping the sketch they also drop the (normal)clockwork's loot(gears) as if you just killed them. It's confusing, I know.

Archived