First Experience in the Ruins in DST

Not a caver by nature so I know very little about them.   I traded an item to get the location of the ruins and then me and another player set up a base just outside them and stocked it with plenty of gear.     Went in solo as my friend returned to the over world.    First trip was pretty good as I found the telltale flooring that indicated I was close to the clockworks and pseudo science station.  On the way back a Slurper got me, didn't know what to do, team mate said to remove it from my head slot but my miners hat dropped with it.   Picked a glow berry that was luckily not attached to a depth worm, just made it back to the cave base, recuperated and then made the 2nd attempt.   This went very well despite the nightmare cycle (had 5 armor on) and was able to kill off about 7 clockworks monsters (mostly with blow darts) and 7-10 shadows.   Also found the Pseudo Science Station.

So far so good.   My buddy came back down and we teamed up to build the construction amulet, fully restore the station and make the deconstruction staff, all went pretty much without a hitch.  I needed to get one more thucelite and that is when the fun began.   He headed back up to the over world while I went off for the last mission.   Well..besides the monkeys, and shadow monsters there was one little problem.   $&*#&$#( depth worms.   Made it back to my base but was being chased all over the place, couldn't make food, couldn't sleep, couldn't even stop running.   My friend came back to help, I died, resurrected with a meat effigy, died again and he barely made it out.   Went to the touchstone near the cave base for the final resurrection and then left the caves, meanwhile he nearly died as well.   In the over world winter had just come (we had prepared) but right on schedule Deerklops and the hounds appeared.   Geesh.   We both survived that and I made it back for one last run to the caves to get that singular thulecite, which happily went well.

So...I had no idea how vulnerable bases are in the caves.   You got moleworms stealing stuff, monkeys stealing, slurtles stealing and the depth worms are always (literally always, we had 1-4 in the base for days, killing them didn't help either) there.   So far I've learned not to store anything valuable at a cave base, to have two of them in case one gets infested with depth worms and to bring in rock lobsters to control the situation.    The monkey are mildly annoying but very easy to avoid, the shadow monsters and clockworks not an issue.    What can make it really hard is being harassed by 4 different mobs/creatures at the same time and not being able to stop running..ever.    

First experience.

It is always dark, splumonkeys are obnoxious and should not exist, nightmare time is not fun time.

Second experience.

It is still always dark; but now has mining hats, splumonkeys still should not exist, and stealthing around clockworks to salvage statues is really exciting until a rook breaks the only pseudoscience station available to you.

When the worms come, try running to the monkey area, then running around there until they de-aggro on you and turn on the monkeys. Also, unlike hounds, worms that come in waves will not travel that far from where they spawn. If you run from base when you here them roar, even if you can't get to the monkeys, they won't actually follow you all the way back to base. You can run them to slurtle nests, whack the nests until slurtle come out and then run around until they aggro on the slurtles.

Yep.  Unfortunately our base is right in the middle of a biome full of depth worms so its non-stop harassment.   I will create another base further away in a safer place.   

It was a blast (despite dying which I really hate, and watching my stuff get eaten).

Archived