Steam Power

29 minutes ago, Vilda said:

It just occurred to me - has anyone tried to use Thermothingie for cooling down steam? Could work better than a condensation if pipes wont have a problem of gas turning into a liquid in transfer.

Yes, i tried. It's not effective - it do consume too many energy and do not cool goo enough for steam to become water at reasonable rate, at least for now. Also it do output heat outside itself, so you cant put it in steam room (to make it run in cycle), as it will heat gasses there again.

I am thinking it will be more effective build special design of halls so air will become water and cool out by its own. But this approach need more investigation and tests.

P.s. i tried both designs on last build 207380:

On 2/21/2017 at 5:28 PM, Elviraa said:

I fiddled a ton with magma and a steam room last night. It seems that with space around a hydrogen generator you can create a ton of steam quickly. I had two generators side by side but with no space for steam creation nothing happened. As soon as I removed the second this happened.

The room I have now is a train wreck after hours of experimenting. I think I can get a clean set up tonight and share a man made distillery that actually quickly produces alot of steam.

457140_screenshots_20170220234826_1.jpg

On 2/22/2017 at 8:39 AM, Elviraa said:

Base I started tonight with a steam room in mind....If you look at the left hand side of the base you will see the area for the steam room. The contaminated water to fuel it is below the batteries.457140_screenshots_20170221233037_1.jpg

Didn't worked out effective for me.

I am currently building a large room, down upon magma/hot rock, it generates steam good enough but for now it does not rises too far because there is a crapton of contaminated oxygen on top of it. I build a hatch to let CO2 in and will see what happens after the gasses exchange a bit.

5 minutes ago, Vilda said:

I am currently building a large room, down upon magma/hot rock, it generates steam good enough but for now it does not rises too far because there is a crapton of contaminated oxygen on top of it. I build a hatch to let CO2 in and will see what happens after the gasses exchange a bit.

Be aware, heat can be your next problem, i faced it when was experimenting on steam from magma >.<. You will need to prevent it from spreading from bottom, as it tends to raise up, which can be issue as your plants wont produce food if in heat.

Would love to hear about results of your experiment when it finished :)

Just now, O.n.y said:

Be aware, heat can be your next problem. You will need to prevent it from spreading from bottom, as it tends to raise up, which can be issue as your plants wont produce food if in heat.

Heat is already an issue but so far I am managing. Worst case I rebuild to grow in a fridge :) Should do that eventually anyway with plants effectively filtering CO2.

I'll give the man made one another go but at this point I' am almost HOPING that a means of simply boiling water will be implemented into the game. The amount of goofying off with the current mechanics make the water/sand issue a bit of a block for the time being for me.

Working with translation, apparently we will have building to produce steam from contaminated water :p

#. STRINGS.BUILDINGS.PREFABS.DISTILLATIONCOLUMN.EFFECT
msgctxt "STRINGS.BUILDINGS.PREFABS.DISTILLATIONCOLUMN.EFFECT"
msgid "Separates any <style=\"liquid\">Contaminated Water</style> piped through it into <style=\"gas\">Steam</style> and <style=\"solid\">Contaminated Dirt</style>."
msgstr "Разделяет <style=\"liquid\">Загрязненную Воду</style> прогнанную через него на <style=\"gas\">Пар</style> и <style=\"solid\">Загрязненную Землю</style>."

#. STRINGS.BUILDINGS.PREFABS.DISTILLATIONCOLUMN.NAME
msgctxt "STRINGS.BUILDINGS.PREFABS.DISTILLATIONCOLUMN.NAME"
msgid "Distillation Column"
msgstr ""

1 minute ago, mrbunnyban said:

Did anyone notice their battery rooms DRASTICALLY dropping in temperature recently? Maybe since the last patch? My battery rooms use to maintain temperatures of 500'c pluss. now it's dropped to a whopping 120 'C

Maybe another "feature" of debug mode? Certainly seems like temperature exchange rate has been dramatically increase, like with factor 10 or so.

10 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Maybe another "feature" of debug mode? Certainly seems like temperature exchange rate has been dramatically increase, like with factor 10 or so.

I think the devs are reading what we write here about battery boiler rooms and decided that is NOT how they want the game to be played lol. H2 generator boiler rooms may be the next target haha.

2. On another note I think H2 generators must be ON to create heat. Air in my insulated H2 gen room which had been off for some time is now around 37C, but after switching it ON for some time the temperature rose to about 280C.  This is in spite of the temp of the H2 gen always showing as 918C, on or off.

3. I tried using copper gas permeable tiles as the flooring of the battery rooms in the hopes that it was a better boiling surface than insulation tiles. No dice, like furniture and other built times they seem to stay the temperature of the materials they are made off.  It is odd considering the non-insulated tiles conduct heat but the heat of the non-insulated tile itself never changes.

4. Considering the way built goods stay heated forever by materials it is made off, I'm thinking we heat up materials PLACED in superhot rooms.  It'll take some time but eventually reach crazy temperatures, then use those materials to build "stoves" to boil water that stay superhot forever and boil water immediately.  But this is an exploit which Devs probably will fix

What I've basically garnered from this topic is that I need to get a hydrogen supply, build a Hydrogen generator in the gas, leave one tiles worth of natural rock (not placed foundation) above it to act as the pan, then have contaminated water above that. Sounds complicated but isn't really. Or iv just read it all wrong. I'm sure the natural placement of tiles in the world will be more important than anyone realises. What about a contaminated water source that has a layer of sand underneath and then a mesh tile below them? This in principle is a filter in of itself?

Even in debug mode, with ideal conditions, a combination of batteries, thermo regulators and hydrogen generators take a painfully long amount of time to heat up water.

I'd expect no less than 15 cycles to heat up the water under impossibly ideal conditions.  With just batteries and thermo regulators, the air never heats up enough to steam the water.  Combining those with a hydrogen generator should do the trick, but it would require half the map's combined hydrogen just to start the steam.

On 21.2.2017 at 4:28 PM, Elviraa said:

I fiddled a ton with magma and a steam room last night. It seems that with space around a hydrogen generator you can create a ton of steam quickly. I had two generators side by side but with no space for steam creation nothing happened. As soon as I removed the second this happened.

The room I have now is a train wreck after hours of experimenting. I think I can get a clean set up tonight and share a man made distillery that actually quickly produces alot of steam.

457140_screenshots_20170220234826_1.jpg

its just that the raw metal stays at the same temperature, but it conducts better

Archived