Wanted some feedback? Here's some!

Really happy we get to finally touch this beauty ! 

My thoughts on two things however : 

-It's actually the first time we see a bit of the game played in normal speed! It looks so weird ! The cycling speed of the manual generators and the oscillations of the digging tool look really really slow. Too slow. For the manual generator it doesn't feel like the dupes are putting any energy in it, and for the digging tool it doesn't look like.. digging. For me increasing the animation speeds of these rwo things in normal speed would put a bit more juice visually. 

-I like the red alert concept, however having it being global looks really constraining. Couldn't we have a way to have it take place only on certain places, like having an alert building that will only wake up duplicants in a certain range ? That way we can make intervention teams for problems during the night while other duplicants can rest, and also if we ever make two separate bases you don't have duplicants at the other end of the map waking up ? 

It did feel weird it being on normal speed after seeing it sped up every time, however, I assumed they were performing so slowly because they're currently untrained and would speed up as they get better at that skill, will be interesting to see.

I like the idea of alert towers with the possibility of setting certain dupes to react to certain towers/alarms. Depends how often you're likely to need to hit the big red button I guess.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on it in 5 days!! :)

20 hours ago, PudgeBalloon said:

It did feel weird it being on normal speed after seeing it sped up every time, however, I assumed they were performing so slowly because they're currently untrained and would speed up as they get better at that skill, will be interesting to see.

I like the idea of alert towers with the possibility of setting certain dupes to react to certain towers/alarms. Depends how often you're likely to need to hit the big red button I guess.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on it in 5 days!! :)

placing red alarm lamps would fit in amazingly, or a siren or something like that.

3 hours ago, sp33dlink said:

My feedback:

Shouldn't the coal generator consume oxygen and create co2?

Could be cool to deal with the venting for the generators and keeping the co2 away from the dupes :)

I think this already happens, they put the coal generators at a room with That air locker just to "jail" the co2... It's just a thought, maybe they did that because the coal generator creates so much heat, and this may cause the dupes to freak out.

My suggestion is to put a radioactivety system, with some cool radioactive elements like uranium and plutonion and the dupes uses that in a nuclear reactor! 

4 hours ago, sp33dlink said:

My feedback:

Shouldn't the coal generator consume oxygen and create co2?

Could be cool to deal with the venting for the generators and keeping the co2 away from the dupes :)

I was hoping someone asked this question.... I felt the coal generators should consume oxygen and since the room didn't have an oxygen vent, it should stall out once all the o2 in the room was consumed.

I'm not 100% sure they said this but I think they said that water can be split into oxygen and hydrogen and that that hydrogen can then be turned into energy. Pretty sure hydrogen is burned to produce energy though which means using it to produce energy after getting it from water wouldn't produce any energy (I could be wrong though).

1 hour ago, Michi01 said:

I'm not 100% sure they said this but I think they said that water can be split into oxygen and hydrogen and that that hydrogen can then be turned into energy. Pretty sure hydrogen is burned to produce energy though which means using it to produce energy after getting it from water wouldn't produce any energy (I could be wrong though).

You are 100% right. If you build a machine called eletrolyzer, you can absolutely do this! They said that on the first or second stream!

35 minutes ago, DNsingbanana said:

I hope we then get a deelectrolyzer that lets us combine oxygen and hydrogen into water ^^ 

I was wondering about that, like: you throw some oxygen in a room full of hydrogen and, with the pressure, they react and forms water! That would be  be so  cool!

4 hours ago, DNsingbanana said:

I hope we then get a deelectrolyzer that lets us combine oxygen and hydrogen into water ^^ 

You only need to burn the Hydrogen to do that, since the result product is water and also the reaction releases energy:

2H2 + O2 = 2H2O + Energy

In the other hand, electrolysis does the exact opposite: consumes energy to get Oxygen and Hydrogen:

2H2O + Energy = 2H2 + O2

Note: I'm talking about chemistry on a game forum... Yes. I'm that fun at parties...

• Developer
1 minute ago, Octyabr said:

You only need to burn the Hydrogen to do that, since the result product is water and also the reaction releases energy:

2H2 + O2 = 2H2O + Energy

In the other hand, electrolysis does the exact opposite: consumes energy to get Oxygen and Hydrogen:

2H2O + Energy = 2H2 + O2

Note: I'm talking about chemistry on a game forum... Yes. I'm that fun at parties...

I have a feeling I'll have an excuse to play this game and chat about it on my study breaks.

3 hours ago, Octyabr said:

Imagine that an insanely accurate version of this game could be made for teaching purposes like Valve did with Portal...

I mean, they are also teaching just about everything with Minecraft (I still get coding, but history?).

I, for my part, hope, this game doesn't become a part of school and instead encourages people to do research in their free time.

Magical portals used for teaching purposes ? X) 

From what i've seen thought, they sseem to have gone the route of "nothing's created, nothing disappears, everything transforms" as there don't seem to be materials that are lost. The only thing they might have forgotten is that duplicants should emit heat as they consume calories, but i would like to see if you basically consume as much water for food as the duplicants then eject or things like that

36 minutes ago, Cha0Z said:

So, ONI will be an educational game...LOL

To a certain extent... yes. Only some basics of course (inorganic chemistry and some thermodynamics here and there, etc.)

36 minutes ago, Cha0Z said:

The energy produced by electolysis of water is less than required to split H2O in H2 and O2, but the process can be favorable using a solar catalyst.

Electrolysis actually consumes energy, but if you mean the energy produced by burning the resulting hydrogen, then yes, it will be less (it always be less...) thanks to entropy, which I hope the devs don't include.

Hmm... Entropy not Included... Nice name...

I know they've said they don't want to be able to start with customized dupes probably to add to the realistic and random parts of the simulator, but I think it'd be cool to have a system to customize your own dupes (with balance making mechanics) that can then be added into the rotation of random dupes you can start with/get while playing.

3 hours ago, Zapkat said:

I know they've said they don't want to be able to start with customized dupes probably to add to the realistic and random parts of the simulator, but I think it'd be cool to have a system to customize your own dupes (with balance making mechanics) that can then be added into the rotation of random dupes you can start with/get while playing.

like in projekt zomboid, where you can only give your character that many possitive quirks and level it out whit negative ones..

Archived