Unlocking characters in Don't Starve Together

Don't Starve Together characters  

356 members have voted

1. 1. Should all characters be automatically unlocked in Don't Starve Together?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should unlocked characters in Don't Starve Together be available to use in Don't Starve Vanilla?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Should unlocked characters from Don't Starve Vanilla carry into Don't Starve Together?

• Yes
    • No

I too would love an Adventure mode for Don't Starve Together. I also feel it should be made longer, more world's and more challenges. There should also be situations where it requires both players to do something simultaneously to proceed. To make things fair it should be 2 minimum for those who want to only play as duo and not be forced to play with more players just to advance.

BUT!

This is a topic for another discussion! Unless you're secretly hinting at unlocking a character in Adventure mode for Don't Starve Together?

Pretty much what has been said: People should be allowed to play with characters they unlocked.

If anything, I think it should be impossible to unlock characters in multiplayer. That way, you would need to gain some experience in single player, on your own, in order to play with more characters. That also includes characters like Wes, Maxwell and Webber. They should only be unlockable in single player.

I think playing ''high level'' characters (i.e. chracters that are unlocked with a lot of exp) should be earned on your own. I would hate to see a complete beginner survive because he is playing with an experienced player who does all the work and still get rewarded with new characters to play in the future.

Well, unless it's a standalone DLC, it will still require Don't Starve (vanilla) to work. I don't know, I find it a bit unfair that characters would get unlocked through multiplayer where you don't really earn them on your own and you can just be ''leeching'' exp from experienced players.

I guess your solution would be a decent one. Characters unlocked through multiplayer would be unusable in single player. I would still prefer if not ALL characters are unlockable in multiplayer, like Wes and Maxwell. Even Webber could be single player exclusive (i.e. all non-exp characters)! That would make it so there is a reward to play single player even if you prefer multiplayer.

Decided to quote rather than come up with a new way to say exactly the same thing. I agree 100% with everything you've said.

This is a topic for another discussion! Unless you're secretly hinting at unlocking a character in Adventure mode for Don't Starve Together?

nope. I just got off-track. But I wouldn't care if they did that. They haven't said there wouldn't be DST-specific content, after all, they implied potential for just the opposite, and I'm fine with that.

I'm sorta in favor of all the characters being unlocked from the start for the purposes of multiplayer. If PVP worlds aren't just going to be other players dropping into your world, but separate multiplayer balanced worlds. I'd rather there be as little carry over as possible. Just pick up and play, without having 3 new guys playing Wilson with a more experienced friend.

But I understand the obvious appeal of having it be based off of what you currently have unlocked, which I too would be in favor of if MP is just an extension of the SP game.

I don't get it, people complain about "multiply of the same character".

So what now? If I will play first time with other people who play first time We will have few Wilsons?

Get your stuff TOGETHER.

I can understand that, but take a second to think about the bigger picture. Don't Starve Together is going to attract many new players. Obviously these guys won't have played Don't Starve and so wouldn't have unlocked any new characters. Are you telling me all the new players won't be able to play online with others because you can't have more than one Wilson on screen in your game? What if they only bought Don't Starve just to play multiplayer? I doubt they will be happy if they find out they can't play multiplayer until they played singleplayer and unlocked some of the characters first.

Unless Klei allow multiple use of the same character or unlock all the main characters (only the ones obtainable through EXP) for Don't Starve Together, expect to see teams consisting of more than one Wilson or Wendy or Woodie etc...

I doubt this would be an issues with private servers. You'll most likely be playing with people who have already unlocked most of the characters through Don't Starve singleplayer.

I can understand that, but take a second to think about the bigger picture. Don't Starve Together is going to attract many new players. Obviously these guys won't have played Don't Starve and so wouldn't have unlocked any new characters. Are you telling me all the new players won't be able to play online with others because you can't have more than one Wilson on screen in your game? What if they only bought Don't Starve just to play multiplayer? I doubt they will be happy if they find out they can't play multiplayer until they played singleplayer and unlocked some of the characters first.

Unless Klei allow multiple use of the same character or unlock all the main characters (only the ones obtainable through EXP) for Don't Starve Together, expect to see teams consisting of more than one Wilson or Wendy or Woodie etc...

I doubt this would be an issues with private servers. You'll most likely be playing with people who have already unlocked most of the characters through Don't Starve singleplayer.

Most of time when i lurking on forum i see a lot of people whom keep posting "we shouldn't have multiply characters" "imagine 4 Maxwells".

I didn't heard what Klei plan about it, but if one thing isn't explained and we jump to the other one, you can keep writing how you see it and I can keep writing how i see. The rest is waiting how Klei gonna make it happen. I mean we have to wait till we have more information.

Most of time when i lurking on forum i see a lot of people whom keep posting "we shouldn't have multiply characters" "imagine 4 Maxwells".

I didn't heard what Klei plan about it, but if one thing isn't explained and we jump to the other one, you can keep writing how you see it and I can keep writing how i see. The rest is waiting how Klei gonna make it happen. I mean we have to wait till we have more information.

True.

Still Klei wouldn't have made this sub forum if they didn't appreciate what we have to say about how Don't Starve Together "might/may" work.

True.

Still Klei wouldn't have made this sub forum if they didn't appreciate what we have to say about how Don't Starve Together "might/may" work.

You got the point. They can see different perspectives and this can help them choose something from that. Most of threads around here work like that.

Easy make Wilson the only character that can be used more than once this way new people can all play together and everyone isnt the the same except for new players who can all be Wilson that way everyone is spamming the same character for their abilties

Easy make Wilson the only character that can be used more than once this way new people can all play together and everyone isnt the the same except for new players who can all be Wilson that way everyone is spamming the same character for their abilties

Easy make Wilson the only character that can be used more than once this way new people can all play together and everyone isnt the the same except for new players who can all be Wilson that way everyone is spamming the same character for their abiltiesEasy make Wilson the only character that can be used more than once this way new people can all play together and everyone isnt the the same except for new players who can all be Wilson that way everyone is spamming the same character for their abilties

This makes sense. Seeing as Wilson is the default character this could work.

Again because of lazyness and tiredness I skipped every single post.

In my opinion Newcomers should gain some experience first before going into multiplayer unless the want to be tore apart by spiders or just starve to death. But after you have said about them I think everybody should begin from the very beginning in DST.

Again because of lazyness and tiredness I skipped every single post.

In my opinion Newcomers should gain some experience first before going into multiplayer unless the want to be tore apart by spiders or just starve to death. But after you have said about them I think everybody should begin from the very beginning in DST.

I agree. New server, new game, world 1, day 1 etc...

In regards to EDIT 5 I think it's better for new players to only have Wilson unlocked in Multiplayer and that Vanilla transfers over to Multi, encouraging them to play the basics on the game on Vanilla to be good in Multiplayer. Not like many people don't already mod all the players unlocked already anyways.

I don't like the idea of starting fresh. It will anger the vets. I think the best way to handle this is just have Wilson,Willow,Wendy and Wolfgang avaliable in the start for only DST, then you have to unlock the rest in either single player or multiplayer including unlocking Willow,Wendy and Wolfgang for single player. 

Seems like the best option would honestly be a character creator with simple options like hair color/style, a few simple facial features, and a default shirt.

To keep them all from being Wilson palette swaps, maybe a menu with some new perks. I'm not saying anything overcomplicated or uniquely individual like the Codex Umbra or the book tab. Something like one perk to be Faster and Stronger and can collect resources faster, but has higher hunger requirements (sorta like permanately being half-mighty Wolfgang), or a green thumb type perk where plants grow faster, but they're strictly vegetarian. Maybe a character who is more efficient at sciencing like a built in construction amulet, but is weaker in combat. 

This is what I think would be the best option, but obviously it's quite a bit more work than using characters already made

I do feel that characters unlocked in singleplayer should be available in multiplayer, but you do raise a good point when it comes to newcomers for the game. If it's decided that you can't have more than one of every character on each world, then joining a server as a newcomer would be very difficult due to the fact that they are restricted to choosing just one character.

I feel that this can be dealt with by having maybe 4 different characters that have the exact same stats as Wilson. Maybe Wilson has 3 identical quadruplet brothers, or he has made clones of himself before getting abducted to the island, or they are old lab colleagues. Whatever.

These 3 extra Wilson-like characters should only be available in DS: Together and they should all be unlocked straight away. They should look different from each other, and have different voices, i.e. one of them wears glasses, the other wears a lab coat etc. etc.

This would be to allow plenty of newcomers to play on the same server while having a unique (in aesthetics) and identifiable character.

Let me know what you think of this idea.  :-)

Something missing from the Poll:

"Should characters be unlockable by playing Dont Starve Together?"

I vote no.

No doubt Don't Starve Together will entice many new players who will probably only play multiplayer. It wouldn't be a good idea if they were stuck as Wilson.

No doubt Don't Starve Together will entice many new players who will probably only play multiplayer. It wouldn't be a good idea if they were stuck as Wilson.

I think it will force them to learn how to live on their own and learn how to play. I think it would be actually a good thing to force the player to learn.

I could understand some people's non-acceptance of playing "identical' characters in multiplayer. After all, how would you explain the cloning, as we'd need a mad scientis...oh wait a minute ;)

Seriously, it does matter if you'd allow multiple copies of a character or not. If so, then limiting the player to the unlock experience what they got for characters unlocked could be done.

If not, then they would have to have a default "fully xp unlocked" option, but I'd only allow the Adventure Mode characters if that player had finished AM/found said hidden in AM character.  And IF DST allows MP AM, yes, if players completed AM/found the hidden character, I'd give the character unlock to ALL active players at that time for ALL single or multiplayer future games.  

As for xp carrying over to/from DST, I'd allow it. We learn from death/escape and the player should get that benefit. What I'd only allow though is the xp they get from THEIR OWN death/escape must come from their own "time" not another player's "time" upon death/escape.

If all characters are unlocked immediately for play in Don't Starve Together, they should be individually rated with a difficulty setting in DST.

That way new players will UNDERSTAND that they are using a character NOT meant for novice use - and that it is recommended they attempt to use them in Don't Starve SP before going into MP. If they want to accept the challenges of playing with a more advanced character, then so be it. If PvP is off other more experienced players playing as different characters will not affect the newer players all that much. Who would want to play on a PvP server their first time on Don't Starve Together anyways?

This prevents the 4 Wilsons issue, and also lets newer players experiment outside the classical boundaries of starting with Wilson, and lets new players think up ways of combining character abilities together if they do their research. This also addresses the issue of people FEELING and ACTING different. After all, why play a multiplayer game if you're all the same flavor? Isnt it just 4 player single player at that point? Perhaps there should be toggled option once you start the server (Like if RoG is on or not) for the host to choose if there will be multiples of the same character or not.

Here is my Difficulty list

• Wilson              (1/8) Basic, survives better in winter, can help support the team well. Flawless.
  • Willow               (2/8) Scout! Super Scout! Lower Sanity cap may be a bit harder to deal with.
  • Wolfgang        (3/8) Proper food management makes him strong. Improper makes him weak.
  • Wendy                (3/8) Without her ghost she's not as strong. Players wont suffer for not understanding advanced use.
  • WX-78          (5/8) Should you be playing him if you don't know how to get gears?
  • Wickerbottom  (5/8) Not being able to sleep and hating food spoilage is bad for new players.
  • Woodie             (6/8) Wilson just with less benefits, if a new player doesn't understand the curse they are boned.
  • Wes                 (8/8) This is a bad idea in general.
  • Maxwell         (7/8) Do you know how to get Nightmare Fuel? No? Why play Maxwell?
  • Wigfrid         (3/8) If you have no idea what you're doing she isn't terrible. Could be confusing.
  • Webber            (2/8) Free silk? Sign me up! Can also be a good way to teach players about taming mechanics.

That way we leave it in the players hands if they DO want to play a game with 4 of the same character or something ridiculous like that!
(Also PvP needs this feature as anyone playing PvP WILL want to be one of a few characters, namely Wolfgang, Wigfrid and Webber if their abilities are similar to what they have now.)

By the way, please do re-palettes for multiples of the same character, everyone should be able to find where they are - especially in a boss fight!

Also if you're wearing armour, that makes palettes less important, be sure to give players some kind of indicator to show where they're standing in the world specific to them like a colored ring beneath the feet etc etc.

Although... After writing up that difficulty list. It kind of does make far more sense now that you would need to unlock characters as you go along with some kind of EXP system. As certain characters are NOT as easy to understand off the bat without research.

Perhaps start the game with 3 basic characters, such as Wilson Willow and Wendy - there you go. Then have the rest unlock as time goes on based on your own individual progress across multiple servers based on your days lived and deaths.

To add spice, you could have EXP points be more like a bank your draw from to purchase characters with - as opposed to just UNLOCKING them in linear progression. This way players with more interest in one character can get straight to it and advanced players wont have to do the grind again!

Archived