Traps for Multiplayer

Assuming there is a pvp option in some form, I think Klei should put some more effort into traps from a pvp perspective.  For instance:

Trap Chests - being able to build a chest trap that when opened by other players will freeze them, start them on fire, put them to sleep, chest explodes, etc. 

Exploding structures - structures that will explode if hammered by opponents (or maybe even you!).  Also if set on fire.

Ice chest that will instantly freeze the enemy in ice, and/or immediately drain all their body and heatstone heat. 

A crock pot that only makes poisoned version of food.

Berry bushes that spawn spiders, or explode or something.

There's a ton of possibility here for pvp.  There's also the question of tooth traps.  I would say they should be invisible to enemy players/teams.   Once sprung they're visible, but enemies have to use a shovel to dig them up, then they can keep them.  Maybe there is also an option, with the same materials as a regular trap, to craft perhaps 3 single-use traps.  So as not to arm one's enemies with traps.

Most of this would be multiplayer exclusive I guess.  But oh well.

Great suggestions! I'm totally on-board with this, being able to craft traps/Set Pieces that other players aren't expecting or aware of definitely adds to the danger and survival from a PvP perspective.

Espionage is defiantly how PvP will work in the multiplayer. Sure we can just run at each other with spears but it's not very practical due to the games combat system. I would love to see new items added specifically for multiplayer and I would love to see the mechanics of items changed a bit to suit multiplayer. Like players on other teams (for example) can't see Bee Mines or Tooth Traps set by players

I think that tooth traps and bees mines are all that is needed to trap a enemy player, since the devs said that there wasn't going to be any multiplayer exclusive content.

I hope they change their minds about no multiplayer content. There is a few things that would work really well in Multiplayer that is pointless in singleplayer. Locked chests for example would be cool, where you need a key or something to open it to prevent players from stealing things.

I think that tooth traps and bees mines are all that is needed to trap a enemy player, since the devs said that there wasn't going to be any multiplayer exclusive content.

You'll have to forgive me if I take their word a little less seriously, given recent events.   I'm viewing that statement more as "this is what we think right now", rather than a hard stance.  Especially since from the posts I've seen by devs in some other threads, it sounds like they haven't really put a ton of thought into this whole thing.   I think they said that more to mollify the crowd that didn't want multiplayer, more than anything.  If they're going to do multiplayer they should make it the best mp it can be.   They're doing it for the players, after all.

I've seen a lot of people concerned with pvp and how easy it would be to just go around and steal and bash other players' structures, and traps came to mind as a way to make that a little less attractive of a strategy.  At least make the aggressor have to think about it a bit.  As long as traps use existing graphics and mechanics, I think they should be easy enough to implement.

I'm not sure how to deal with the 'set their base on fire' problem though.  I think there will need to be a host option to make base structures non-flammable, if people don't want to have to deal with that kind of stuff.   Doesn't stop enemies from burning all your bushes and grass and such.  But if flingers are made non-hammerable (or maybe the freeze the aggressor every time they hammer), flingers would then have another use besides for summer!

Archived