[Fixed!] Question about Wes?

As I'm playing on PS4 I have to do full runs... There is no console option to uncover the map or check the paramters which were set when creating the world...

It's just luck and has nothing to do with skill and I'm not a very lucky person it seems...

I know you can't use the console and that's not what I was asking.  By full run I mean all of adventure mode, and by checking map and restarting I mean physically uncovering the map, then restarting without completing adventure mode.

This extremely low chance of Wes, has really no meaning, other than Klei hates its customers. I mean the developers who probably are beaten back to their homes by their wifes or boyfriends, decided to punish their fan base instead by leaving something to pure luck... Even in national lottery you have more chances to win than this...

And please... stop with these stupid things about Wes is the hardcore mode of the game. Difficulty has to do with skills, and luck is not a skill.

Well, why do you want him in the first place? Wes is mostly just for players that have been going on a single world for a long time and have gone through adventure a lot, as a reward for the people who play enough adventure to find him, not as something to be searched for on a quest for 100%ing and bragging rights. If you end up playing adventure mode 99 times on your own without hunting for Wes, you've probably played this game a long time. If you hunt for him outright, (and I seriously doubt the devs thought anyone would) then you've probably bought this game just to get 100% completion. Which the devs made clear that they didn't like with their PS achievements. He's not worth continually hunting for. Just take some time and wait for him to appear naturally.

I know you can't use the console and that's not what I was asking.  By full run I mean all of adventure mode, and by checking map and restarting I mean physically uncovering the map, then restarting without completing adventure mode.

I just uncover the first 4 chapters and then i restart adventure mode... for nothing... it's just a pure grind... and I though the developer didn't want something wich is grindy in there game...

I like the game ans it's fun but I also want to play with Wes and it's just annoying when you don't get him even after +100h :(

Enable codes then type in the code that uncovers the full map (which about you can search in google) and see in which world he'll be!

And no, that's not hax cause it's in the game just disabled which you can enable.

In my opinion this would be cheating and... there is no console option on PS4 so no codes are available ;)

Enable codes then type in the code that uncovers the full map (which about you can search in google) and see in which world he'll be!

And no, that's not hax cause it's in the game just disabled which you can enable.

You're right, it's not "hax", it's cheating.  But then most things people refer to as hacks these days aren't hacks, they just want to sound 1337 about their cheating.

Klei claiming Wes only appears in world 3 in adventure mode: https://www.facebook.com/kleientertainment/posts/646041578767684?comment_id=6160966&offset=0&total_comments=5&ref=notif&notif_t=feed_comment

Wes appearing on world 2 in adventure mode:

So for now at least people should stop spouting the 1% chance as fact, seeing as the devs at least intended for a 100% per adventure spawn chance under those conditions (though there appears to be a bug making it not be the case) and nothing in the files hints at a spawn chance.  The 1% was indeed pulled from someone's rectum, like the "frogs spawn from pond plants, so burn the plants to stop spawns" thing that people treated as fact.  And also the "as long as you don't open a sinkhole, lureplants will never start spawning in your world" thing.

ETA: As I mentioned previously, my (admittedly small sample) tests prior to unlocking Wes confirmed how the devs said it works.  I found him twice in a row in world 3 of two consecutive adventure runs prior to feeling satisfied that it was accurate.  That was awhile ago though, and since I've unlocked him I can't test to see if my results would be different today.

Any time now I hope, I already have an answer, but I want to make sure it's correct before I post it. 

Edit: Got some info. 

So, we spent a pretty substantial part of today discussing and investigating this. 

We think the issue is actually coming from a couple places. As it turns out he actually spawns quite a bit more frequently than originally intended and as a result, actually results in a problem with finding him. (Hold on a sec, this will make sense)

To lay it out basically, because this is kind of a complicated situation; this is what is supposed to happen. 

Essentially when entering adventure mode, the game has a choice of several maps as you progress. Of those maps Wes will NOT spawn on 2 maps; Archipelago and Two Worlds. Technically, this is a bug, as he should still spawn on Archipelago as well. 

However, Wes can spawn in any of the first 3 worlds (also a bug), which means, that if you are following the directions according to the wiki and only looking in the 3rd world, you may miss him if the game chose Archipelago or Two Worlds for the 3rd world. 

So, if you are specifically targeting Wes, and specifically looking for him in the 3rd world, You have a pretty decent chance of missing him.

Perhaps Two Worlds and Archipelago are being chosen for the 3rd world more than it should? We'll investigate that part tomorrow, but from here it looks like it's extremely likely that Wes will appear for you during a playthrough, as long as you check the first and second worlds as well. 

Let us know if your experience is different, and we will check it out!

This extremely low chance of Wes, has really no meaning, other than Klei hates its customers. I mean the developers who probably are beaten back to their homes by their wifes or boyfriends, decided to punish their fan base instead by leaving something to pure luck... Even in national lottery you have more chances to win than this...

And please... stop with these stupid things about Wes is the hardcore mode of the game. Difficulty has to do with skills, and luck is not a skill.

Troll detected. Report with extreme prejudice.

Thank you for looking into the issue with Wes and keeping us up to date with your investigation...

So for now I have to search the first 3 chapters, ok...

I have a question left…

When I start Adventure mode the games determines all 4 chapters before the Darkness...

Is it the same for Wes? So does the game at the start of the Adventure Mode set a variable which states that Wes will spawn in one of the maps or is Wes put in the world when they are individually generated?

Each of the maps that are able to spawn Wes will spawn him, regardless of him having spawned in any of the previous worlds. 

However, if you end up with Archipelago and Two Worlds as two of those three worlds, then you would have only had one chance to find Wes. Anybody who were to ONLY look for him in the 3rd would would be even less likely to find him. 

From our testing today, we were consistently able to find Wes in one of those three worlds.

So something is not right here. I have done a ton of adventure mode runs and have gotten all of the combinations you could possibly get many times and I have been searching Worlds 1,2,3 fully so for me it is impossible to ",miss" him if he did spawn. Still have yet to find Wes. I have been working on getting this guy for almost 2 weeks now and that is a lot of time wasted just looking for this guy and not being able to play the game like I want to. I know a lot of other people who have over 200 worlds fully searched in other forums and they have not found Wes either. 

With all the people posting and updating that they cant find Wes there is probably more than 1000 worlds searched in total so does that sound like "he spawns more frequently than originally intended"? I think not. With every update that I read from the Klei people they just keep contradicting themselves by saying things like "he spawns in world 3" yet people find him in world 2. They say "it is working as intended" yet it clearly isnt. They are clearly and fully aware that there are bugs in the game yet they still havent fixed them, is anyone else bothered by this?

I just want to say to the Klei people that you guys need to do more tests. Do a lot more tests because obviously you dont believe us. Go into adventure mode and beat the game until you unlock Maxwell then using the same sandbox that you found the door in farm adventure mode over and over until you find Wes. Try making new saves and using different characters to see if Wes will spawn on them all and farm adventure mode over and over til you find Wes. Try changing sandbox modes by gathering the things and going into adventure mode without changing saves. Have done all that? I have. Many have. Hundreds of times. Still no Wes. 

So why is he working as intended for you guys? And not us? Many of the people who have found Wes on PS4 have done so within the first few attempts. So will I have a better chance at finding Wes if I keep doing the process of Delete all dont starve data -> sanbox -> adventure mode -> world 1-3 repeat, or maybe new save -> sandbox -> adventure mode -> world 1-3 repeat, or maybe sandbox (using the things everytime)->adventure mode -> world 1-3 then repeat, or maybe (in the same sandbox) adventure mode (farm)  -> world 1-3 repeat? Or maybe even new character -> sandbox -> adventure mode -> world 1-3, repeat. 

Does the above process even matter? Since he doesnt only spawn in world 3, since there are bugs preventing him from spawning frequently (your words), since Two Worlds can replace world 3 should we look in world 4 also? Please give us more information and tell us the right way to find Wes. 

But how many people who claim to have run hundreds of adventure runs were exaggerating?  And how many actually searched every inch of every map, and aren't just claiming they did?

and how many more found him that never thought about posting about it or thought that it was pointless? This might be a case of a vocal minority. Also, just to be clear, 1% chance doesn't mean that after 99 times, that 100th time will definitely unlock him.

but JoeW said to report if it's not the case, so he's going to get a lot of reports on this "technically could never happen" scenario.

Well guys after 2 weeks of farming I finally got Wes. All I had to do was delete all of my dont starve data, start a new adventure mode with wilson and there he was in world 3. First try. A few other people have also tried this method today and it worked for them, first try also.

We have found the secrets of Wes!

Whatever game people play there is a part of it that it going to be tough, or even frustrating, however there is a point when a game can have such a high level of frustration that it looses the pleasure of playing it. Finding wes is in that catagory. If anyone from KLEI reads this could they please explain just what made them think that a 1% spawn would make the game attractive to play, as a ps4 player I have no access to any of the cheats that I have seen being suggested. All this game has done for me is make me want to avoid games by KLEI, and I know from the endless forums I have looked at others feel the same way, KLEI, you need to make wes more accessable to PS4 players or you will lose a lot of future followers.

Whatever game people play there is a part of it that it going to be tough, or even frustrating, however there is a point when a game can have such a high level of frustration that it looses the pleasure of playing it. Finding wes is in that catagory. If anyone from KLEI reads this could they please explain just what made them think that a 1% spawn would make the game attractive to play, as a ps4 player I have no access to any of the cheats that I have seen being suggested. All this game has done for me is make me want to avoid games by KLEI, and I know from the endless forums I have looked at others feel the same way, KLEI, you need to make wes more accessable to PS4 players or you will lose a lot of future followers.

Seriously, is nobody reading anything but the FALSE claim that there's a 1% spawn chance?

Archived