[Fixed!] Question about Wes?

So I just started playing this game a few days ago on my PS4. I have 95% completion just need the wes trophy but after attempting adventure mode many times and searching the internet I cannot find any solid information about what world Wes spawns at. 

Most people say he only appears in world 3, others say that was only in the earlier versions of the game. The wiki says he can spawn in any of 4 worlds. There is just no solid proof anywhere. I dont mind farming this trophy but I need to know where exactly im supposed to farm. 

So, does this guy only spawn in world 3? Has anyone seen him in other worlds? 

Thanks!

[EDITED: Please see the update here: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/31002-fixed-question-about-wes/page-3#entry411024]

I am inclined to not help you because you're only trophy hunting and I find that to be obnoxious.

However, I will anyway, because I have pizza and am in a good mood.

Wes can appear in A Cold Reception, Archipelago, The Game is Afoot, and The King of Winter regardless of which number world it is.

That's because there isn't any. 

Fun here?

Oh wait, I might be derailing. 

Seriously then, Wes has a 1% chance (the same chance of Krampus' Sack spawning) of spawning in Adventure Mode (in the first four worlds.) From the DS Wiki:

In one of the adventure mode worlds (A Cold Reception, The King of Winter, The Game is Afoot, Archipelago) a structure may appear, which will have two chambers with a Maxwell Statue in each one, and a third one with Wes on the middle. This stucture does not always spawn when you play adventure mode, so don't expect you will find it your first try....

...The chance of trapped Wes spawning in Adventure Mode is a low 1%, so it makes it a rough challenge unlocking him. 

Enjoy unlocking the character and hope you do it more than the accomplishment.

Wes is Hardcore, but if you learn to play all the other characters (especially WX78 and Wendy without her Ghost in combat,) he doesn't seem that hard anymore.  

I'm certain that 1% chance thing is misinformation.  He can be hard to find, but not THAT hard.  The difficulty in finding him mostly comes from the time spent scouring each map to make sure you don't pass him by.

I have that kind of luck. Even so, I will vouch it *is* 1%. You just forget you have multiple (4) worlds to see him in unlike (say) Krampus' which has a one scenario 1% chance before having to wait (in-game) days before trying again.  

I have that kind of luck. Even so, I will vouch it *is* 1%. You just forget you have multiple (4) worlds to see him in unlike (say) Krampus' which has a one scenario 1% chance before having to wait (in-game) days before trying again.  

Didn't forget about anything, I just took it at face value since the tidbit doesn't say 1% per map, but rather 1% chance of spawning in all of adventure mode.  I still find 4% hard to swallow.  I could believe it if the chance was 1% per map task though.  Just for my own peace of mind, which file details his spawn rate?

Hi! After spending 3-4 hours of reloading Adventure maps and Wes not spawning, I gave up (about 1 reload every 2-3mins). The chance is extremely low and given the variance of probability you can try 1000 times and still not see him. This means the only factor that affects unlocking Wes right now is pure luck, which is too bad since it was supposed to be more like a challenge not an exercise into futile.

So I checked the game files to see if I can find the code that affects spawning the event. It was easy. So for anyone looking the unlock Wes the 'legit' way and check out the encounter you can try this:

[install path]\dont_starve\data\scripts\map\levels   --> adventure.lua (can open with notepad)

Look for the first four instances of ' ordered_story_setpieces ' and add ' "WesUnlock", '

It will look something like this:

ordered_story_setpieces = {
"TeleportatoRingLayout",
"TeleportatoBoxLayout",
"TeleportatoCrankLayout",
"TeleportatoPotatoLayout",
"TeleportatoBaseAdventureLayout",
"WesUnlock",
},

Have fun!

I didn't get the chance to play the event yet, but I'll report here later to let you know how it works.

Just to confirm this, it works. Played through one Adventure map earlier and unlocked Wes. Didn't encounter any problems.

He will still spawn even after you unlock him, but if you don't like it you can just revert back to the original 'adventure.lua' file after the unlock.

So I have a question, my world 3 is always Two Worlds, I have tried everything to try and fix this bug but no luck. Should I just leave this Wes guy alone for now? Or can he still be obtained in worlds 1 and 2? Is there a way to fix this bug myself (on ps4)?

From what iv read this bug has been going on for awhile and even on the ps4 version which is the one im currently playing. Its one thing that klei laughs at trophies and adds a rediculous luck based trophy but its a whole different thing that they dont bother to fix this bug among the many random errors that have been happening for months. I just wish they cared more about their players and their game.

When I played Adventure mode I had Two Worlds map on World 3 also. Don't worry, on World 4 you will still get a map that can spawn Wes.

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Adventure_Mode

He can spawn on Worlds 1-4, all except "Two Worlds".

Or, after you finish/die Adventure mode, you can restart (by dying) World 1 over and over again until you get him. It's faster that way, rather than going through all Adventure mode, if your goal is to get Wes.

The thing is, even by restarting World 1, if you're unlucky, you are looking at tens of hours, maybe even hundreds, just to get an achievement.

Good luck.

If it really bugs you, you can see if (in Sandbox Mode) building the Telepportato with the Five Things (The Wooden Thing in the Chess Biome) makes a difference or not on a new World's Adventure Mode door.

But Tenshin did explain it best, should that method not work and PS4's platform appears "hardcoded" for World 3 (it's not on the other platforms.)

I'd also (should it persist) mention it here as new Thread.

And after all that (reporting the Bug) IF they should happen to respond it cannot be fixed simply, then the Suggestions and Feedback thread suggesting changing it (even if not a simple thing) can be used.

I've found out that many things after coding/porting are simply not known by Klei and they can work on patches for it once they do find out (case in point: the syncing of the above ground world and caves caused the Teleportato not to reset the day count in a new world, but it was restored after reporting it even though the day count could have been kept ongoing as a unexpected new feature thanks to our feedback everywhere.) 

Klei is Legendary for its response to user feedback, and it's certainly looking to include console gamers as well! (They want you to suffer have fun with an Unlocked Wes no matter what the stance is on trophies, trust me! :-). ) 

But unlocking him is just a pain in the ass (if don't want to cheat) and I think I won't ever play the game again once I unlocked him... 

Already done 200+ Wes runs and nothing...

I hate it that it's just luck based!

Is it a 1% chance each time a chapter is generated or I start adventure mode? because the wiki stated the latter...

We're not even sure of the 1% thing.  It's an oft stated but so far unsupported claim to the best of my knowledge.  Either dev confirmation or locating his spawn chance in the files would tell us for sure.  So far best I've been able to find is a list of the maps he can spawn in and which map tasks he is able to spawn in, but no probability of him spawning.

I'd actually been under the impression that he always spawns in one of the worlds each full adventure mode run-through, up until you unlock him, but so many people are saying they scoured the maps that I have to rethink that.  I must have simply been lucky when I tested and saw him in two consecutive run-throughs before I decided to unlock him.

But unlocking him is just a pain in the ass (if don't want to cheat) and I think I won't ever play the game again once I unlocked him... 

Already done 200+ Wes runs and nothing...

I hate it that it's just luck based!

Full runs or are you checking a map and then restarting?

This extremely low chance of Wes, has really no meaning, other than Klei hates its customers. I mean the developers who probably are beaten back to their homes by their wifes or boyfriends, decided to punish their fan base instead by leaving something to pure luck... Even in national lottery you have more chances to win than this...

And please... stop with these stupid things about Wes is the hardcore mode of the game. Difficulty has to do with skills, and luck is not a skill.

Full runs or are you checking a map and then restarting?

As I'm playing on PS4 I have to do full runs... There is no console option to uncover the map or check the paramters which were set when creating the world...

It's just luck and has nothing to do with skill and I'm not a very lucky person it seems...

Archived