Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Don't you think that characters in don't starve need some rebalancing? For Example, Wigfrid, Walfgang and WX-78 are much more powerful than Wendy and Wes. I know that Wes is meant to be weak, yet other characters, like Wilson, Willow, etc,don't have much advantage in late game.

I would like to give some suggestions on rebalancing of Wendy, because she's my favorite character.

Abigail should has larger light radius and won't run from Wendy. Making fight during night easier.

Abigail should be more neutral during daytime, and should retreat on low health. She should be more aggressive at dask and night, and regenerate faster. So that players can be able to manage whether they want Abigail to help or not in a fight.

When examining Abigail, the quotes should be different depending on Abigail's health.

Abigail should also be able to be upgraded using nightmare fuel, making her more useful in late game.

Other characters should also be changed to make them have advantage in both early and late game.

Edited by psych2090707
add tags

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kuirem    195
Posted (edited)

I think DS and RoG characters are fine, SW not so much. They are not balanced but they were never intended to be :

  • Wilson is the beginner friendly character, his beard does just enough to give a small help providing insulation, fuel and easy Meat Effigy and is useful throughout the whole game.
  • Willow can be a bit underwhelming mostly because her main perk (immunity to fire) is accessible through a boss loot. If you use exploits though (like fire farms) she becomes quite strong.
  • Wolfgang is the high damage/high upkeep character. He is strong but I think he is at the right spot.
  • Wendy can mass farm easily thanks to Abigail (Bees, Spiders) and her lower damage compensate it nicely by having harder boss fights. 
  • WX-78 is broken, no argument on that. His vulnerability to rain is easily overcome and only matter with a Spring start.
  • Wicker is strong but I don't see how you could nerf her without making her more boring. Maybe make Sleeping more interesting  (lowering Hunger penalty for instance) so her downside actually matters.
  • Woodie is sort of 'upgraded' Wilson has he has base stats and fairly standard gameplay, just that his perk is harder to use.
  • Wes shouldn't be changed, he is the challenging character.
  • Maxwell is a fine high risk/high reward character. His shadows are a bit weak in DS though.
  • Wigfrid is a bit strong because all good food except Honey are made of meat. Her inability to use coffee really nerf her hard in SW though.
  • Webber is a bit underwhelming because his perks is easily reproduced by a Spider Hat but his ability to eat Monster Meat is still pretty decent. Also his low Sanity make it easy to go insane to farm nightmares.
  • Walani has some decent perks early game but the lack of late-game perk is a shame and her utility plummet in RoG.
  • Warly is bad. His big problem is that all his perks revolve around food and hunger resulting in a character which own upsides are here only to compensate his downsides.
  • Wilbur is bad in SW because his movespeed bonus don't work on boat but he is decent in RoG at least.
  • Woodlegs is really powerful in SW and useless in RoG.

Now for your suggestions. There are enough light sources available in the game for that not to be needed.

Having a smarter AI on Abigail wouldn't hurt yes. But keep in mind that the more complicated the AI is, the harder it is for the player to control it.

You can already see how well Abigail is based on her expression but I suppose you want that change for combat.

I don't think Abigail needs an upgrade, she is good as she is, she is here to kill small threat not to fight bosses.

Edited by Kuirem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Donke60    2,319
17 hours ago, Kuirem said:

Warly is bad. His big problem is that all his perks revolve around food and hunger resulting in a character which own upsides are here only to compen

So he doesn't do anything?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kuirem    195

Pretty much, except adding layer of bookkeeping stuff because you have to keep track of what you ate in the previous 2 days. Oh and also 3/4 of the game food being useless to him. My point was that his strengths add nothing to the game because his weaknesses cancel out any benefit you could get from them.

  • 33% more Hunger, Health and Sanity: Cancelled by his higher hunger drain and his inability to use some easy Sanity/Health food (Mushrooms, Honey, Cactuses).
  • Portable Crockpot: Recipes are underwhelming with the exception of Fresh Fruit Crepes that rely on a rare ingredient. Having a portable Crockpot is pointless anyway because the best game recipes last for 15-20 days.
  • Chef Pouch: Extra storage space is nice especially with added conservation sadly those slots are wasted by all the different foods he needs to keep on him because of his perk that force him to rotate food.

His biggest problem is still the food rotation thing. In my opinion it shouldn't punish the player for not doing it but rather rewards the player for doing it, or something in the middle like Wolfgang with his hunger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Donke60    2,319
4 hours ago, Kuirem said:

and his inability to use some easy Sanity/Health food (Mushrooms, Honey, Cactuses).

  This only truly matters in caves and during boss fight but for boss fights and less you're under ground you can skip it by sleeping so only a really bad problem in the caves 

4 hours ago, Kuirem said:

Portable Crockpot: Recipes are underwhelming with the exception of Fresh Fruit Crepes that rely on a rare ingredient. Having a portable Crockpot is pointless anyway because the best game recipes last for 15-20 days.

They weren't really there to be powerful except for the crapes with you mentioned only there just to  have food variety which is a shame it would be nice if they did something special since they can only be made by him but the why. But that's just wasted potential.

4 hours ago, Kuirem said:

Chef Pouch: Extra storage space is nice especially with added conservation sadly those slots are wasted by all the different foods he needs to keep on him because of his perk that force him to rotate food.

 Are you really going to use six slots I only use two or none and make it as I go.  Honestly you could use a backpack to do the same thing The transporting ice, berries, fish is easier plus hambats.

4 hours ago, Kuirem said:

His biggest problem is still the food rotation thing. In my opinion it shouldn't punish the player for not doing it but rather rewards the player for doing it, or something in the middle like Wolfgang with his hunger.

 oh so he will be like before the Nerf where he was highly spammed  is downsides didn't matter and as long as you had petals or anything you could stuff in your face that was low cost you could eat that crockpot dish and nothing would happen that's stupid really stupid.  We have all this food in the game that no one uses and at least this character can make you use it to some degree without it feeling like a big waste is not the best at it and he could be made better but at the same time I think there's too much food and not enough application to any other character  that to me that reasoning goes down the drain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kuirem    195
17 hours ago, Donke60 said:

  This only truly matters in caves and during boss fight but for boss fights and less you're under ground you can skip it by sleeping so only a really bad problem in the caves 

Health restoration food is still the most effective way to restore health and sanity in bulk while sleeping is the most ineffective way (Take more time to gather resources, huge loss of Hunger which result in extra time cost to gather food, waste of in-game time except if you sleep right before night end).

17 hours ago, Donke60 said:

 Are you really going to use six slots I only use two or none and make it as I go.  Honestly you could use a backpack to do the same thing The transporting ice, berries, fish is easier plus hambats.

Not sure I get what you mean here, if you make food as you go you will need slots to keep raw food so it's the same problem. It's just a slighly better Backpack anyway (it doesn't stop the spoilage of Ice iirc).

17 hours ago, Donke60 said:

 oh so he will be like before the Nerf where he was highly spammed  is downsides didn't matter and as long as you had petals or anything you could stuff in your face that was low cost you could eat that crockpot dish and nothing would happen that's stupid really stupid.  We have all this food in the game that no one uses and at least this character can make you use it to some degree without it feeling like a big waste is not the best at it and he could be made better but at the same time I think there's too much food and not enough application to any other character  that to me that reasoning goes down the drain.

First I never said to bring him back to how he was before patch, he was boring and he was weak already (since the extra hunger from Crock pot dishes was negated by his higher Hunger consumption). As I said the ideal would be something in the middle, maybe reduce the penalty to like 5% but especially give an incentive to rotate food that's not a downside, that's the problem of this character he is all stick and no carrot (To take an other example: Wendy is pushed to use Abigail not only because her own damage are low but also because Abigail is pretty efficient at taking down large group of ennemies).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Donke60    2,319
47 minutes ago, Kuirem said:

Health restoration food is still the most effective way to restore health and sanity in bulk while sleeping is the most ineffective way (Take more time to gather resources, huge loss of Hunger which result in extra time cost to gather food, waste of in-game time except if you sleep right before night end).

Sure sure but cooked green mushrooms aren't really a luxary for Warly and if you want sanity fast its meaty stew+ straw roll not hard to get in the slightiest. you can use taffy and cookies plus tophat but I usually use those during the bossfight to avoid the shadow monsters. As I'm speaking as Warly as a DS and DST character however. since this is DS only as you said yourself you do it at the very end of the day and it is always 75 hunger loss doesn't matter who it is Wolfgang or Wes.  250 out of 75 as you would have probably eaten during the bossfight not a big deal at all.

54 minutes ago, Kuirem said:

Not sure I get what you mean here, if you make food as you go you will need slots to keep raw food so it's the same problem. It's just a slighly better Backpack anyway

All his slots aren't wasted on getting food prep once you have a smallest base I only find myself using have so 3 for food spaces. for fruit.veg and meat anything that requires honey and such is made at base.

1 hour ago, Kuirem said:

First I never said to bring him back to how he was before patch, he was boring and he was weak already (since the extra hunger from Crock pot dishes was negated by his higher Hunger consumption). As I said the ideal would be something in the middle, maybe reduce the penalty to like 5% but especially give an incentive to rotate food that's not a downside, that's the problem of this character he is all stick and no carrot

Understood and I'm for him being made better however that example  seems like you can just keep ignoring him and all this food goes to waste and Warly is a good oppertuinty to use that wasted food. Warly can already eat food 2 with basically no downsides. The only main pronlem with Warly I have seen is he has sanity issues in caves and during long bossfights also spring can become an issue. Thats the main thing I see and i've been caught in insanity loops before with him. not fun "thats what the sleeping was for"

Give him sanity Food and Special food like wickerbottoms books and his already existing downsides will be a natural limiter. He wouldn't be great but he'd be better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now