Am I mistaken, or is there an infinite source of sand in this game?

My info could be completely out of date here and they've updated it since... but I've seen people say that you can run out of sand in this game.

I just took a look at the wiki, for materials. Some of them can change their nature when you overheat them.

Well...

Geysers can supply the infinite amount of water to turn into oxygen / natural gas. > Morbs can turn oxygen/natural gas into polluted oxygen. > Pufts can turn polluted oxygen into slime. > Slime turns into dirt at 125 degrees. > Dirt changes into sand at 326 degrees.

I'm not sure yet how to manage it, but doesn't that mean we can build bakeries to create sand?

I believe the situation as it stands is this:  Build an infinitely/sustainably operable bakery that operates at 330 Celsius, and sand will be infinite.  Until you or someone builds it and makes it publicly known, sand is considered finite.

If you build such a bakery, fertilizer is an easier to produce candidate for transformation into sand.

2 hours ago, Risu said:

Considering steam geysers are a source of both clean water and oxygen, why bother with getting more sand?

You could use it for the air deodorizer. From my observations all polluted oxygen emitting sources (polluted water, slime) tend to over run areas not at max pressure to the point there's no where to pump all of it since everywhere is full of the stuff.

I also feel they should make thimble fibre a filtration medium or part of a recipe for a filtration medium. You could make sand an early game source and then make thimble fibre late game source. It would give it more of a purpose other than clothes and also make you manage your supply which provides an element of challenge. 

Have any of you ever actually tried to create sand legitimately? It's incredibly inefficient for a remarkably small yield. If you go sparingly with your sand and use it solely for air deodorizers (if you must!) then the resources in your map will last you way beyond your 2000+ cycle aspirations. 

As @Risuso rightly said - you have pure water, so you have pure oxygen. You also have gas pressure and pumps. A simple base pump/filter setup can rid you of the pesky yellow stuff, so you don't really even need sand :) 

38 minutes ago, jigggy2000 said:

You could use it for the air deodorizer. From my observations all polluted oxygen emitting sources (polluted water, slime) tend to over run areas not at max pressure to the point there's no where to pump all of it since everywhere is full of the stuff.

I also feel they should make thimble fibre a filtration medium or part of a recipe for a filtration medium. You could make sand an early game source and then make thimble fibre late game source. It would give it more of a purpose other than clothes and also make you manage your supply which provides an element of challenge. 

Polluted Oxygen can be cleaned out by tufts though...

I was talking theoretic anyway. Theoretically, Sand can be infinite.

Practically, the rest might be right.

45 minutes ago, Merauder said:

I was talking theoretic anyway. Theoretically, Sand can be infinite.

Practically, the rest might be right.

This is incorrect, until you can provide a design for a bakery which operates at 330 degrees Celsius infinitely.  As I've already said, this is a necessary part of the process, before you can declare Sand to be even theoretically infinite.

7 hours ago, Trego said:

This is incorrect, until you can provide a design for a bakery which operates at 330 degrees Celsius infinitely.  As I've already said, this is a necessary part of the process, before you can declare Sand to be even theoretically infinite.

It will take me a while, but I'll attempt it when I'll have the time!

I saw the liquid C02 cooled tepidizer and worked on it a bit, and while I could often get it to melt itself completely as wolframite and produce useful amounts of tungsten, I was unable to get the tepidizer to be cold and the space it was in to be hot.

edit: I was so excited I necroed...

oops.

Archived