Show Us Your Colony

I totally forgot about water... i was working on making new bedrooms for my little guys becasue they were getting really stressed!

I finally notice i was running out of water, so i starting working on cleaning a load of dirty water that i had next to my base when BAM the whole thing caved in and the cave with the pump just emptied... by this time i was all out of clean water.

All my guys were at 100% stress and started to break the only thing keeping them alive. I gave up and let them die.

no water = no food + oxygen = death

As the last one died i said to myself "who gets so mad they break the very machine that is keeping them alive?

20170217133150_1.jpg

Chasing Coal, Slime and Algae (just a little). Hydrogen gen is really in place not for the power but to filter the Hydrogen out of the base. (The power generation from Hydrogen I think needs to be tweeked as the power to run the gas pump feels like it needs more then the Hydrogen generator produces.) Going to start putting in more electrolyzers.
I also have been only focusing on Dups that are 'destructive'. I absolutely don't let in Dups that stress vomit. They tend to break and re-break the same one to four machines. I have a bunch of fully functional dups at 100% stress because I have learned to leave the machines they break permanently broken. They seem to have stopped breaking crap at this point and I guess you call their stress manageable.

721.jpg

722.jpg

I though this generate is best for me. Too much water, Too much Algae, Much Coal, and find bleach stone not to far from my base.

Ah yes.... with any luck, you MUST paid something for luck trade. Below my base has to much Chlorine Gas and CO2 too!

Oni-good.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mitsuru said:

I though this generate is best for me. Too much water, Too much Algae, Much Coal, and find bleach stone not to far from my base.

Ah yes.... with any luck, you MUST paid something for luck trade. Below my base has to much Chlorine Gas and CO2 too!

Oni-good.jpg

Wow! I've never seen so much contaminate water

3 minutes ago, ElieMorge said:

Mine is still sustentable but i don't know where does carbon dioxide come from? ):

I think the little tip right there says it all, not enought oxygen production. The areas in red are the ones where dupes seem to pass most of their time (beds, manual generators, research station). It's just the dupes consuming all the O2, while there are few algae habitats.

52 minutes ago, ElieMorge said:

Mine is still sustentable but i don't know where does carbon dioxide come from? ):

Duplicates, like humans, consume O2 and breathe out CO2... I thought it's a common knowledge.

But main thing here is that it seems like you are having problem with venting, more than anything else - you need to get CO2 down to bottom of base because it is havier than O2 and it does not move horizontally well (unless its Helium from somewhere). Also those algae piles (forgot name) are very bad for decor, suggest not to put them next to beds, and on bottom of your base, where CO2 should accumulate.

All the co2 consuming machines need to be on bottom of your base to function properly

I don't have screenshot of my colony, but my guys went through a lot ... haha. First it was a CO2 disaster when I realized i need to vent co2 down properly, then helium disaster with electrolyzers and cleanup efforts, then my water below base got magically consumed by vomit (filed bug for it) and I had no water besides one from slime. And now everyoen is stressed out and vomiting all over :D good times

1 hour ago, ElieMorge said:

mundo.png

not enough oxygen consumption and your dupes are breathing out CO2, also if you open a pocket that CO2 is filled in it can causes issues as well, algae plants thet suck up the CO2 will work, but just keep them filled with algae and place them at the bottom of your base since CO2 drops

125 Cycles and counting - very stable at the moment besides the inevitable lack of water.

Couple things I have learned so far:
1) Always be looking for Algae, Slime, Coal, Contaminated Water early on.

2) Chlorine - seriously what is your use?

3) Research - don't go charging down the tech trees because of the massive amount of water you use in the process. If your goal is to survive think again about what the tech is that you 'need'. I haven't done any of tier three and only a handful of tier two as once I turned on tech three my water supply was seriously getting wrecked. None of the tier three techs solve any problems in the game that I can find at the moment. (Example - you get the disease trench stench....wait a few cycles and it goes away. You don't need to fix disease atm.)

4) Dupes with the destructive trait can be wrangled in a way - mine always break the and smallest generators. After breaking so many they tend to stop or seriously slow down breaking stuff.

5) 100% Stress - because I have all destructive Dupes I had to start euthanizing them in a carbon dioxide room. I would use 'move' and constantly hold them in a room until another Dup could come 'close' the door so they would suffocate. I had to kill my starting three dupes because even with a shower, hand sanitizer, permanently assigned massage table, etc they would only briefly come off 100% stress and then be back to breaking stuff.

6) Hydrogen 'Power', think again... - my base as you can see has a hydrogen pump and generator put at the top of the base as the hydrogen off the electioneers will eventually rise up there. If takes more power to operate the pump then the output of power from what I can see. I don't have this as a means of generating power but more as a filtering devise so that I don't have a totally wide open base exposed to the contaminated air that I encounter on the pursuit for contaminated water.

Fun load bug - always check your liquid and gas pumps after you re-load a game. I have often found powered pumps aren't actually push their substance through their pipes. Simply breaking down the pump and replacing it has fixed this so far.

1251.jpg

1252.jpg

This is my first Colony. 18 Hours / 165 Cycles / 14 Death's

Cycle 50: It was made apparent that I made a mistake of choosing a "Vomit Only" crew.

Cycle 100 (1st Image): Everyone had 100% stress and there was Vomit everywhere. I ran out of all the water from the surrounding start area, all the way to the North Edge/End of map. This was very bad for me since I was using Algae Terrariums.

Cycle 127 (2nd Image): So I got the bright idea of embracing the vomit. I turned off anything that used water, Disabled the toilets, Killed Dupes without Vomit and put what remaining water I had into the Mesh tile Research. It took a while to produce enough water from the vomit to finish the Research. But once it did, I quickly started converting my floors in hopes this would be a viable solution to my water problems.

Cycle 156 (3rd Image): I decided to do away with anything that used water, as the Vomit/Pee Theory failed. It just does not produce enough water to do much with. So I replace oxygen production with Algae Deoxidizers and destroyed all terrariums. Everything seemed to start running pretty smooth, so I thought.....

Cycle 165 (4th Image): Things went bad very quickly. My Slime production simply could not keep up with my Algae demand. Now I'm getting swarmed with Co2 and out of most resources. I'm pretty sure this colony is doomed. I might try to save it one day. But for the meantime, I think I'll put this one on the shelf for awhile and start a new Colony!  

10/10

2017-02-16 (1).png

2017-02-16 (3).png

2017-02-17.png

2017-02-17 (3).png

1 hour ago, Elviraa said:

125 Cycles and counting - very stable at the moment besides the inevitable lack of water.

Couple things I have learned so far:
1) Always be looking for Algae, Slime, Coal, Contaminated Water early on.

Agreed. I'm on cycle 83, it has been a while since I last used water at all... Now that I found a decent contaminated water supply I'm purifying it, but I've survived a long time just by using Algae, Coal and building CO2 rooms.

1 hour ago, Elviraa said:

5) 100% Stress - because I have all destructive Dupes I had to start euthanizing them in a carbon dioxide room. I would use 'move' and constantly hold them in a room until another Dup could come 'close' the door so they would suffocate. I had to kill my starting three dupes because even with a shower, hand sanitizer, permanently assigned massage table, etc they would only briefly come off 100% stress and then be back to breaking stuff.

There is, a gas chamber. SAVAGE.

16 minutes ago, QuadThumbs said:

Cycle 127 (2nd Image): So I got the bright idea of embracing the vomit. I turned off anything that used water, Disabled the toilets, Killed Dupes without Vomit and put what remaining water I had into the Mesh tile Research. It took a while to produce enough water from the vomit to finish the Research. But once it did, I quickly started converting my floors in hopes this would be a viable solution to my water problems.

Wow it was brillant ! Nice story ^^

I was lucky enough to start in a place full of water, so I rushed to research hydralizers, and made them my main supply of oxygen... until my entire base was plagued with hydrogen and nobody could breathe. So I tried to fix everything by building lots of air pumps in places that were full of hydrogen,redirecting them all to a single air pipe, separating the hydrogen using the gas filter, sending the hydrogen to a hydrogen generator and the rest of the air back to the base... Even though it did not eliminate the hydrogen completely, it did save my base and secured a steady flow of oxygen in the laboratory/dormitory.

But almost all my air vents exits got "air vent over pressurized problem" (what does it mean? it seems the  air still gets out of the vent, so what does this "over pressurization" do to the air ducts?), it happened probably  because I made all the pumps connect to a single air duct, so I lazily tried to fix the problem by building a "gas valve" to control the pressure and see what happens... but it made almost no difference.

In the end I got an ugly disorganized base, full of hydrogen, with lots of air pumps and some really poorly made decorations (not even a single quality portrait/statue was made)... In the end everyone started to get stressed and vomit everywhere... I think I will try to copy one of the other bases in this topic next time.

CarPXB1.jpg

yCznYAX.jpg

Archived