For sure PvP is not where I think anybody wants it....

However, PvP is just one part of the whole thing, and first and foremost we are working to get everything going, then make improvements.

I have talked a bit about griefing in the past, but there is definitely work to be done with legit PvP as well. There are things all over the place that we will be addressing. And we are going to approach them in incremental changes through time. First we are going to make a few changes with ghosts that we feel will help out some of the problems there, and we are talking through some of the PvP elements we plan on changing soon as well. Much of it based around base building/protecting and combat (at first then we will see where we want to go from there).

I can't really get down to specifics because we have to see how it plays out on our end, change things up and then we can let you know the direction we are going to go.

Suffice it to say that all of your feedback is completely valuable to us, but I would appreciate it if everybody could remain constructive and polite while discussing the topics, even when they can be frustrating or even down right broken.

We do not like to hide behind the "this is beta" excuse, but it really should be taken into consideration that we are well aware that it's not where it should be, and the focus should be providing the feedback that we all need to discuss how to get there. =)

The thing with Don´t Starve is that it requires so much time, that bugs like these are just frustrating as hell. I understand that the game is still in Beta and I suppose I´ll return once everything has been fixed.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my complaint.

Then stay away from pubs. Public Servers are mainly chock full of one of the various types of people:

1.) New Players

2.) Experienced Players (varies)

3.) Jerk Experienced Players (varies)

4.) Jerk New Players

5.) Admins (if you know anything about the types of hackers in real life, that would apply to admins).

6.) I like the number 6

@JoeW, I like how you acknowledge all of these issues with DST and are working to fix them. Dev teams like the one you are on (and basically all of Klei) are very uncommon in today's world. Just asking, will one of the "changes" include with re-tweaking Willow?

I have had bad experiences with admins as well, spawning items and such...Cough* DamselInDistress Cough*

But hey, lesson learnt, don´t attack admins...Cause they´ll come back in a minute with a load blow darts and armour that they mysteriously didn´t have before...

-.-Can we all just take a moment to acknowledge that this guy is using the bullshit command?  

Are you really ranting about the disable movement prediction command?
Can we take a moment and search out what this particular command does when it's input from a client's perspective? I feel like I need to explain this in multiple ways for you to understand why it isn't a cheat. I'll start with the most simple explanation that I can create.

The "bullshit" command trades smoothness with chopiness. Movement prediction was created to help and polish the gameplay, to make your motion all pretty and fluid. How does this work? When you enter it in the console, it switches between your stategraph as a client (which was set up with the prediction function) with the server's; basically, everything you are going to see it's your actual location, the actual motion that everybody else sees. So rubberbanding is out of the game (essentially).

How does this help in PVP? The potential of viewing your location on the server and registering your actions without being blocked by the smoothness makes the overall experience feel more like LAN parties, therefore local multiplayer. Why? Because your vision is now server-sided, therefore lag is less noticeable.  Sort of. That's why it's not bullshit.

Is this command flawless? Not at all. There are cases in servers with highping and such in which the time the server allocates to enter your actions is very delayed, making it really hard to control your character since you have to see 20 seconds in the future to know exactly what you are doing. But is it really that bad in comparison with the "intended" gameplay lag design? It's well worth it.

Want to improve your chances now? ThePlayer:EnableMovementPrediction(false)
(The command was available since October 4th 2014 btw, where have you been?)

I have had bad experiences with admins as well, spawning items and such...Cough* DamselInDistress Cough*   But hey, lesson learnt, don´t attack admins...Cause they´ll come back in a minute with a load blow darts and armour that they mysteriously didn´t have before...

*cough cough* http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/55481-player-server/

Well, mister Squirrels, I really didn't wanted to remind myself (or you) about any of this, but next time when you want to leave past to the past, just do it okay? I really don't want to ban you permanently or anything like that, but I also don't want to get involved in your posts and stories anymore.

P.S. I'm glad your mixed feelings are back, I almost started to feel very depressed.

By better, you mean he had this cheat console command thing...I´ve lost to people before, and that´s fine, but this guy has attacked me plenty of times and not ONCE can I get a hit on him before he does. Statically, that´s impossible considering the amount of times I´ve encountered this guy, even if he is the best of the best as you say. Also, the guys he fought before killing me also could not get a single ******* hit on the guy...So I´m sorry, but you can call me a sour loser all you want, but something is clearly wrong here.  

You can't get a single hit in on anyone if they're beating you to death. That doesn't make them a cheat.

I have had bad experiences with admins as well, spawning items and such...Cough* DamselInDistress Cough*

But hey, lesson learnt, don´t attack admins...Cause they´ll come back in a minute with a load blow darts and armour that they mysteriously didn´t have before...

What happened to leaving the past in the past? Your bad experience is not her fault. Admins have the ability to spawn in items....and it's pvp. People are suppose to attack you. I think you're just angry about what happened. Hope you're feeling better today.

*cough cough* http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/55481-player-server/

Well, mister Squirrels, I really didn't wanted to remind myself (or you) about any of this, but next time when you want to leave past to the past, just do it okay? I really don't want to ban you permanently or anything like that, but I also don't want to get involved in your posts and stories anymore.

P.S. I'm glad your mixed feelings are back, I almost started to feel very depressed.

Hey, I said I was over it and that it´s in the past, I didn´t say it didn´t happen...

Seriously, it´s fine, everything is cool...

You can't get a single hit in on anyone if they're beating you to death. That doesn't make them a cheat.

What happened to leaving the past in the past? Your bad experience is not her fault. Admins have the ability to spawn in items....and it's pvp. People are suppose to attack you. I think you're just angry about what happened. Hope you're feeling better today.

I didn´t just stand there. I don´t think you understand. Nobody could get a hit on him. He would always hit first. It was impossible to attack him, and it´s because of this ThePlayer:EnableMovementPrediction(false) that the guy above just explained and apparently you HAVE to have to be able to even stand a chance. 

Are you really ranting about the disable movement prediction command?
Can we take a moment and search out what this particular command does when it's input from a client's perspective? I feel like I need to explain this in multiple ways for you to understand why it isn't a cheat. I'll start with the most simple explanation that I can create.

The "bullshit" command trades smoothness with chopiness. Movement prediction was created to help and polish the gameplay, to make your motion all pretty and fluid. How does this work? When you enter it in the console, it switches between your stategraph as a client (which was set up with the prediction function) with the server's; basically, everything you are going to see it's your actual location, the actual motion that everybody else sees. So rubberbanding is out of the game (essentially).

How does this help in PVP? The potential of viewing your location on the server and registering your actions without being blocked by the smoothness makes the overall experience feel more like LAN parties, therefore local multiplayer. Why? Because your vision is now server-sided, therefore lag is less noticeable.  Sort of. That's why it's not bullshit.

Is this command flawless? Not at all. There are cases in servers with highping and such in which the time the server allocates to enter your actions is very delayed, making it really hard to control your character since you have to see 20 seconds in the future to know exactly what you are doing. But is it really that bad in comparison with the "intended" gameplay lag design? It's well worth it.

Want to improve your chances now? ThePlayer:EnableMovementPrediction(false)
(The command was available since October 4th 2014 btw, where have you been?)

Let me get this straight...I´m an idiot for not going into the game files and inserting some kind of code that would enhance my PVP skills...Rather than just playing the game normally.

WHAT?

1403.gif

I didn´t just stand there. I don´t think you understand. Nobody could get a hit on him. He would always hit first. It was impossible to attack him, and it´s because of this ThePlayer:EnableMovementPrediction(false) that the guy above just explained and apparently you HAVE to have to be able to even stand a chance. 

I understand how frustrating it is to fight him. I couldn't get a hit on him the first few times either. But after watching how he fights and learning when to hit and when to back off it became a lot easier. I never use that command on pvp servers and I've been able to land hits on him. He has a pattern and If you fight the way he does you both exchange hits. With or without movement prediction.

I understand how frustrating it is to fight him. I couldn't get a hit on him the first few times either. But after watching how he fights and learning when to hit and when to back off it became a lot easier. I never use that command on pvp servers and I've been able to land hits on him. He has a pattern and If you fight the way he does you both exchange hits. With or without movement prediction.

Until this is fixed, I´m done. Good on you for figuring some kind of strategy, but really, this is too much. If you really need to insert a code into a game to be "good", then honestly, no, just no. It´s like a free micro-transaction. **** that noise. 

Let me get this straight...I´m an idiot for not going into the game files and inserting some kind of code that would enhance my PVP skills...Rather than just playing the game normally.

WHAT?

If that's all you understood... then fine. So be it.

JoeW pretty much nailed it; wait for some content updates. Knowing Klei, they will surely try their best even if this game wasn't designed for character relation, but rather gamestyles, as the former said!

Hi, I am the player that killed him, He is leaving out he part where he had also killed me once earlier in that very same server. I didn't want to add anymore fuel to the fire, but this guy has a single track mind and I just want to shed some light.

Hi, I am the player that killed him, He is leaving out he part where he had also killed me once earlier in that very same server. I didn't want to add anymore fuel to the fire, but this guy has a single track mind and I just want to shed some light.

The only reason (we) were able to kill you was because you were lagging and you just stood still. You said it yourself. You were lagging. 

You then came back saying "swiggity swooty i'm coming for that booty" like an *******, spawned as Wigfred and somehow killed three players in a row, who all had better armour, weapons, etc, and none of them could even hit you...Odd.

If that's all you understood... then fine. So be it.

JoeW pretty much nailed it; wait for some content updates. Knowing Klei, they will surely try their best even if this game wasn't designed for character relation, but rather gamestyles, as the former said!

You people are something else...

PVP in Don't Starve Together

slap-fight-o.gif

Except one somehow always manages to hit you first, like he has some kind of invisible force field.

I admit, I did say Swiggity Swooty, and yes I wont lie; I came for that booty

Edit: it also helped that you had tusks and tams on the ground as well as spikes and gold... kinda made it easier for me :)

I left that part out because you stated yourself in the server´s chat that you were lagging and that was the only reason you could not hit back, so I didn´t think it was worth mentioning. 

Of course, you left that part out in your little comment....One-track mind much? Nice selective memory there.

Archived