Descriptions for game settings and presets

When starting a new world there's an overwhelming amount of options to set. And for a new player they don't make any sense.

I'm not a new player myself, not by any means, but I did gift a copy of the game recently.

And you don't really understand what the cloud with some weird looking snow is untill you get killed by the rain of frogs. THEN you learn what it is.

I just think that having a mouse-over description would be better than just an icon.

Also I dislike having to go to wiki to learn what less, normal and lots means for every single item, as it really depends on context.

Finally game would benefit of having more presets

Like:

Easy

Casual

Normal

Hard

Casual for example would have short summers, no frog rain, giants set to less, or maybe none for summer and autumn one. And manageable hounds, even after day 180

Easy would have no summer, or at least longer dusk, and more of resources and no giants, no rain of frogs, less lighnting, less hounds and so on...

You get the idea.

it would also help new players

It's counter intuitive that you have to have deep knowledge of the game just to set the options.

I just think that having a mouse-over description would be better than just an icon.

THIS. Even a simple name would be helpful. The presets sound brilliant too, though they all seem "against" Klei's policy of No Hand Holding.

Maybe an option somewhere to hide/show the description? For those who want to know what the icons mean?

And you don't really understand what the cloud with some weird looking snow is untill you get killed by the rain of frogs. THEN you learn what it is. I just think that having a mouse-over description would be better than just an icon.

But that could spoiler new players.
Also I dislike having to go to wiki to learn what less, normal and lots means for every single item, as it really depends on context.

You can just try it out yourself.

But that could spoiler new players.

And seeing pictures of monsters you've never encountered before is not a spoiler?

You can just try it out yourself.

Like invest many many hours of my life into trying out settings in game just to see what will make it more enjoyable for me?

I'm not a teenager or a student any more. I don't have time for that. And even if I did - I would not want to spend it that way.

Like invest many many hours of my life into trying out settings in game just to see what will make it more enjoyable for me? I'm not a teenager or a student any more. I don't have time for that. And even if I did - I would not want to spend it that way.

But thats what the game is about when you start it,
spend hours to learn how all the stuff works. If you
don't wanna do this, you can go to the wiki and
have fun by spoilering yourself.

But thats what the game is about when you start it,

spend hours to learn how all the stuff works. If you

don't wanna do this, you can go to the wiki and

have fun by spoilering yourself.

I think you missunderstood me.

When I know already what things are, like I know what a frog rain is - I still don't know how often will it fall if I put it on "less".

And hounds - I read this on wiki actually. It's realy counterintuitive how the settings work.

It's "none", "less", "default", "more" and "lots"

It turns out - even "lots" is an improvement over "default" as default gets punishingly difficult over time, while lots remains below that number and is constant. But from settings it would seem that even "more" is worse than "default" when in truth it's MUCH easier! (ffor a player with even a little bit of experience)

Nowhere it says that sliding reeds to "lots" will not just affect how dense they spawn in the swamp but will make them spawn in other biomes too.

Picture of rain, and setting to "lots" does not immedately ring a "it will rain CONSTANTLY, FOREVER!" bell.

It's like even tweaking the game options is ment to be a trial for the player...

I think you have a point with this idea.  I know that I wished for tooltips when I first started playing.  I eventually accepted that this game is about exploring and learning how things work, even at the worldgen part of the game.  Perhaps new players would benefit more from more explanation then they would lose from having things spoiled for them.

I'd like the ability to "unlock" customizability, so you can only edit each worldgen parameter once you've encountered it. Haven't played through each season? No season options for you!

Standard difficulties might be pretty cool, but they'd also take some work to make, so I'm not sure Klei should focus on that. As for you personally, maybe you can get some tips on the in-game threats that you have the most trouble dealing with? There's generally a few of smart ways of dealing with just about anything in Don't Starve. That's the genius of the game: you always feel like everything is against you but if you make good decisions you'll always persevere.

Yep, you can use it on your Steam version of Don't Starve. I didn't find it on the Steam workshop, but that shouldn't matter. You can install it standalone, you'll just need to keep an eye on the mod here on the forums for updates from the author.

Just download, unzip, and place the mod folder here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\dont_starve\mods\

Archived