Don't you want my money?

Valve owns steam.

Valve is the creator of Steam, the pioneering game platform that distributes and manages thousands of games directly to a community of more than 65 million players around the world.

This is Klei Entertainment! :)

As I wrote here : http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/46472-price-still-high-do-it-require-the-5-€-dlc/?p=586966

it will take us a while to investigate. It's working for 99% of people, so it's an account / steam issue. We need them to reply.

^They are waiting to hear back from steam/valve and are trying to get this straightened out for people!

Quote from: https://twitter.com/klei/status/544646716197064705

:)

While I appreciate the insightful information that Klei Entertainment is in fact, not Valve. You seem to have misunderstood my post. As someone that owns Don't Starve, RoG, and has access to the beta, I cannot purchase the frontier pack to gift to friends.

Oh, I'm sorry. But that's correct, if you own DST now, you can't purchase the Frontier pack as you already own it already. That could be because Steam and Klei chose it like that or just steam, I'm not sure. But yes, steam won't allow it, regardless.

:indecisiveness:

On a plus note if they happen to have Don't Starve already, but not DST they could purchase it! xD

Edit: Well purchase it for only $5.00 I mean.

Just saying in case anyone comes here looking for information.

:spidercowers:

Yeah I am aware my friends could purchase it but I am really hoping Klei will allow me to purchase two giftable keys for however many dollars.

I have friends that for whatever reason won't be able to buy it themselves and would like to gift it, especially around the holidays.

Some sort of bullshit Steam policy is blocking gifting of the frontier pack in this way, unfortunately. Someone said elsewhere that it's a violation of this policy to gift discounted games, which makes no sense seeing as how people buy discounted games for friends all the time during the summer and winter sales.

Some sort of bullshit Steam policy is blocking gifting of the frontier pack in this way, unfortunately. Someone said elsewhere that it's a violation of this policy to gift discounted games, which makes no sense seeing as how people buy discounted games for friends all the time during the summer and winter sales.

Took me a while to wrap my head around this one too.

It's not that they're blocking you from buying a discounted game and gifting it. As you said, Steam sales offer discounts to the public all the time. But this isn't a public discount in a Steam sale, this is more like a loyalty discount - you, as the owner of a prior Klei game, can buy early access to this new game for less than the general public who doesn't already own that prior game.

But you already own the new game, since you received a closed beta key. So what they're doing it blocking you, the recipient of a free game, from buying 2 discounted copies of the game and giving them away to people without the loyalty discount. Or worse yet, selling them at higher prices to others who are desperate and never bought the prior game to receive the loyalty discount.

While I appreciate the insightful information that Klei Entertainment is in fact, not Valve. You seem to have misunderstood my post. As someone that owns Don't Starve, RoG, and has access to the beta, I cannot purchase the frontier pack to gift to friends.

Don't fret PerezDispenser, I have been around the forums for about one day and the only thing I know for certain is that Hellkitty loves to post on things he/she knows nothing about. He has responded to my posts all day with answers that convinces me, that he/she is Cpt. Obvious in disguise. I suggest just contacting Klei directly with your suggestion through e-mail.

Don't fret PerezDispenser, I have been around the forums for about one day and the only thing I know for certain is that Hellkitty loves to post on things he/she knows nothing about. He has responded to my posts all day with answers that convinces me, that he/she is Cpt. Obvious in disguise. I suggest just contacting Klei directly with your suggestion through e-mail.

Aww, that is not fair to say. Kitty is doing good job, eagerly tackling every little steam thread that pops up. Kitty is doing it while being nice and friendly, and deserves some respect.  :cat:

It's not that they're blocking you from buying a discounted game and gifting it. As you said, Steam sales offer discounts to the public all the time. But this isn't a public discount in a Steam sale, this is more like a loyalty discount - you, as the owner of a prior Klei game, can buy early access to this new game for less than the general public who doesn't already own that prior game.

But you already own the new game, since you received a closed beta key. So what they're doing it blocking you, the recipient of a free game, from buying 2 discounted copies of the game and giving them away to people without the loyalty discount. Or worse yet, selling them at higher prices to others who are desperate and never bought the prior game to receive the loyalty discount.

So allow us to gift to people who have the loyalty discount. Not blaming you or anything, but I don't see what's so hard about doing this.

I have been around the forums for about one day and the only thing I know for certain is that Hellkitty loves to post on things he/she knows nothing about.

I'm sorry you feel that way. :frown-new: I try to be as helpful as I am capable, and link people information that seems relevant, even if I do not quite understand. I can misunderstand things from time to time, but hope that by saying or asking things it can get cleared up, and by doing so maybe someone else can help more easily. (If I am confused how something perhaps someone more knowledgeable would be if they come to the post later) I don't try to act like I know everything at all, and definitely can get things wrong like my first post here :)!  When I see something, I like to share what I know with people. And I definitely appreciate people correcting me! :D

As for the buying a Frontier Pack if you already have DST attached to your steam account, Klei made it pretty clear that you already own the game, and do not need to purchase another DST key. I understand this is disliked and people want to complain about it, and I'm not trying to stop anyone from expressing themselves. You can say what ever you like  :) I'll apologize again, for misinterpreting the OP, but it was not clear he had the DST already and was trying to buy more. There's been a lot of posts that involved people not being able to see the right price on their steam store page, and I thought this was similar. He made it clear now though and I'll stay out of it!  :)

:wilson_flower:

@Ridley, Thanks, I appreciate that! :)

Really, because earlier today, Hellkitty tried to tell me and everyone else in a forum thread that our problem we were having with buying the game was not real - we were just to dumb to sign in and try to buy the standalone. *rolls-eyes* I paraphrased, but you get the gist of how I and the others in the forum felt when Hellkitty showed up "Mine works, there must not be a problem" attitude.

PS: I am a mod on many other forums, and when you don't have any clue about a problem (especially when it doesn't affect you) you don't go around pointing fingers, but instead, try to get information about the issue. You also do not copy paste other users responses like it was you that came up with it.

Other than that, I have greatly appreciated all the other forum patron suggestions. 

So allow us to gift to people who have the loyalty discount. Not blaming you or anything, but I don't see what's so hard about doing this.

I agree... the people I would have bought the key for already own DS, and I wanted to get them into DST early to play with me. I dunno the specifics of how Steam/Valve would configure that sort of thing though =(  It seems simple enough to me to do an if-then check, but there are probably many mysterious under-the-hood mechanics that we're just not privy to.

@Rachealica, As far as I have seen Hellkitty has been pretty spot on with all of his replys regarding the current steam confusion.

Somebody make this one a mod already! Hellkitty has gone above and beyond to patiently deal with noobs, whilst those in charge were putting out fires elsewhere. So many props.

The problem I have with this is that many of my friends that I wish to gift a DST beta key to actually have Don't Starve.

They just don't have the money or haven't been keeping up with the updates as religiously as I have so I was hoping to surprise them today with Beta keys. I already had my extra one that I gave away to a close friend and was looking forward to sharing more.

The problem I have with this is that many of my friends that I wish to gift a DST beta key to actually have Don't Starve.

They just don't have the money or haven't been keeping up with the updates as religiously as I have so I was hoping to surprise them today with Beta keys. I already had my extra one that I gave away to a close friend and was looking forward to sharing more.

As a work-around for the time being, you could gift them the $5 for the Frontier Pack? I know, it's not exactly the same as "surprise, you have this cool new game!"... but it's the though that counts, right?

Trying to look on the bright side here =)

My thought is that since this (the Don't Starve Together game) is meant for a standalone for only those who bought the Don't starve base game, Klei is avoiding releasing the standalone as a legitimate standalone. Due to a duplicate discount issue Steam has, you are not able to gift the frontier pack either because you can just go around Klei and distribute the keys yourself again and again at the discounted price. This is just my interpretation.

I hope that made sense. Klei was being really generous in offering keys that could be used by people who had not purchased the base game (I keep saying base game like this is an expansion, but I mean really just the original Don't Starve game). 

As a work-around for the time being, you could gift them the $5 for the Frontier Pack? I know, it's not exactly the same as "surprise, you have this cool new game!"... but it's the though that counts, right?

Trying to look on the bright side here =)

Their issue is that you cannot gift the frontier pack, steam forbids it. That is what he/she is posting about.

Wait, I'm a little out of the loop here, so could I ask something?

Is it possible to buy DST as a standalone game without the base DS? I know someone who really likes to play multiplayer, but never really touches the singleplayer mode of games. I'd like to play with them, but I reaaaally don't want to buy a Frontier Pack because I'm already getting DST (I own DS) and it would be a waste of a copy of DST.

Really, because earlier today, Hellkitty tried to tell me and everyone else in a forum that our problem we were having with buying the game was not real - we were just to dumb to sign in and try to buy the standalone. *rolls-eyes* I paraphrased, but you get the gist of how I and the others in the forum felt when Hellkitty showed up "Mine works, there must not be a problem" attitude.

Hey, I'm really sorry if I offended you or made anyone feel stupid or "dumb". I assure you that was not my intention at all. The thing with what you mentioned is I don't usually sign in through the website, due to the cookies and privacy settings  I'll explain a bit more. When I sign in on the website and I mean not on steam, I have to confirm with my email a code and say this computer is safe etc. etc. For security and it's supposed to be great for me, but it's such a hassle -_-  But that's just my personal take on it. I use the Steam program, but when I linked on my FAQ I used the website links (because I did not see links when using my steam program I have to search through there) and if people clicked on them I wanted them to be aware if they weren't signed in or not and to simply make sure of it. (I forget, I don't save my password for the website, and if people use the Steam program for links, I personally do  did not know how to use website links in the Steam program. - My friend just told me he has a link and showed me it, for some reason it does not show up on my Steam window. Learned something new! :grin: I guess there is some setting for it, that got turned off, I'll figure it out.  I believe what people are saying, I just thought there was a possibility that what happened with me, happened with them.  I really aim to try to make things as clear as possible and understand, even if I don't fully understand at the time, and even though it may not seem like that. I don't think I am above anyone at all, and I am learning all the time myself with things. I'd like to know 100% whats going on and have no confusion about things. So, I try to be as concise as possible, to not only be able to help them but also have them get the help they need.

If I seem offensive at all, I'd love to know and clear that up! It really isn't my intentions believe it or not. And if anyone felt badly about what I said, I did not mean it as an attack on anyone's character at all. I'd sooner say I was the "dumb"ie for screwing that up myself when I was looking at it (with the signing in and the 2 different store pages) it's what made me think of it in the first place hehe :-)!

I know there was a problem, but I was trying to express that it should work in time and this is how it should look eventually, as it worked for me it will eventually work for you and everyone else. I was trying to be more hopeful about it, but I guess that didn't come across and I apologize for that. I'll try not to bother you with my posts from now on.

Sorry for getting off topic.. I'm leaving this topic alone! Promise!

Wait, I'm a little out of the loop here, so could I ask something?

Is it possible to buy DST as a standalone game without the base DS? I know someone who really likes to play multiplayer, but never really touches the singleplayer mode of games. I'd like to play with them, but I reaaaally don't want to buy a Frontier Pack because I'm already getting DST (I own DS) and it would be a waste of a copy of DST.

Currently, the only way to purchase the stand-alone is to buy the frontier pack. By purchasing the frontier pack, when you already own Don't Starve, you get instant access to the Don't Starve Together Beta and an extra key that can then be used to give to a friend to play. Regardless whether or not they have DS, they can play it. So for $5, you get access to the beta and your friend can also play, and they don't have to buy DS or play DS single player.

Hey, I'm really sorry if I offended you or made anyone feel stupid or "dumb". I assure you that was not my intention at all. The thing with what you mentioned is I don't usually sign in through the website, due to the cookies and privacy settings  I'll explain a bit more. When I sign in on the website and I mean not on steam, I have to confirm with my email a code and say this computer is safe etc. etc. For security and it's supposed to be great for me, but it's such a hassle -_-  But that's just my personal take on it. I use the Steam program, but when I linked on my FAQ I used the website links (because I did not see links when using my steam program I have to search through there) and if people clicked on them I wanted them to be aware if they weren't signed in or not and to simply make sure of it. (I forget, I don't save my password for the website, and if people use the Steam program for links, I personally do  did not know how to use website links in the Steam program. - My friend just told me he has a link and showed me it, for some reason it does not show up on my Steam window. Learned something new! :grin: I guess there is some setting for it, that got turned off, I'll figure it out.  I believe what people are saying, I just thought there was a possibility that what happened with me, happened with them.  I really aim to try to make things as clear as possible and understand, even if I don't fully understand at the time, and even though it may not seem like that. I don't think I am above anyone at all, and I am learning all the time myself with things. I'd like to know 100% whats going on and have no confusion about things. So, I try to be as concise as possible, to not only be able to help them but also have them get the help they need.

If I seem offensive at all, I'd love to know and clear that up! It really isn't my intentions believe it or not. And if anyone felt badly about what I said, I did not mean it as an attack on anyone's character at all. I'd sooner say I was the "dumb"ie for screwing that up myself when I was looking at it (with the signing in and the 2 different store pages) it's what made me think of it in the first place hehe :-)!

I know there was a problem, but I was trying to express that it should work in time and this is how it should look eventually, as it worked for me it will eventually work for you and everyone else. I was trying to be more hopeful about it, but I guess that didn't come across and I apologize for that. I'll try not to bother you with my posts from now on.

Sorry for getting off topic.. I'm leaving this topic alone! Promise!

I understood where you were coming from initially, but your post following continued to stress that that was the cause, and it wasn't until someone posted a screenshot did you change your tune. If you go back a read a few posts, you notice that some already frustrated people were getting more frustrated by your posts. Just try and take that into consideration next time, I see that users around here really do value your help.

Archived