The matrix bug [Developers READ!]

Either the developers for don't starve don't know how to code properly or this bug is in actual fact just ripping off the matrix movie.

For those of you who have experienced the rock lobster overpopulation you are going to get a real kick out of this.

So basically I am calling this bug the matrix bug because it resembles the story behind the matrix so perfectly that I am almost convinced that it was intentional. So basically to sum up the bug for those who don't know:

Rock lobsters are neutral mobs that are found in caves and can be made allies by giving them any type of mineral eg rock, gold, flint, gem etc. They will also eat any and all mineral they can find in their sight.

They have between 1100-1800 health (depending on the size) and they are practically unkillable due to the fact that they turtle up in a rock form when injured which reduces all damage to 0 and allows them to regen health while turtled up.

I think the primary reason for their existance was to prevent caves from getting over crowded with minerals falling from earthquakes which would eventually accumulate to an extent where major frame rate drops would occur.

Now here's the irony in it all. These rock lobster reproduce (not sure if it is a glitch or was intended) but they reproduce faster than rats on heat. Eventually infesting the world completely and causing far more lag than what they solve. If god forbid you make one your ally and take it with you to the surface world I reccomend simply deleting your save and starting over because it will infest your world to the point where every inch of the map will be contested with rock lobsters.

On my world all it took was 1 rock lobster getting up to the surface and now I simply can't get rid of them and I have tried everything (tried making them allies then leading them down to the caves and waiting for the ally to expire so to speak before returning to the surface yet somehow no matter how well I check to see if they are all gone if I come back in a few days there will be another 10-20 roaming the surface) I am certain they are getting out the cave by themselves because I made 110% sure there were none left on the surface when I lead them back in the caves. I also tried killing them by making them hit eachother and using another bug by feeding them as they turtle up to make them unturtle thus being vulnerable to the attacks of the other rock lobsters. Yet still no matter how many I kill the infestation continues.

Now why "the matrix bug" you might ask?

Well like agent smith rock lobsters were created to keep control (Like mentioned earlier they clean up the caves to prevent frame rate drops.) And also like agent smith the rock lobsters have grown out of the control of their creators/developers. They have found a way to replicate themselves infinately and thus have taken over everything. They are seemingly unkillable just like agent smith.

Hence "the matrix bug."

In all seriousness though wtf up with this bug how can you not have fixed this by now. Do you know the problems it has caused in my world! I am on ps4 and stepping foot in a cave literally drops my fps to about 1-3 fps I am not even joking. There are so many rock lobsters I can hardly even move in the cave. I have to constantly every few days go to my cave entrance and heard them back into the cave to prevent them from totally ruining my surface world like they did to my cave world. Somehow a few keep getting out though probably because its so overpopulated down in the cave the game is throwing them out to prevent it from crashing or something. It has caused numerous other bugs as well. Sometimes when I leave a cave chester is replicating himself (probably was enspired by seeing all the other cool kids doing it). In my world I got 3 chesters following me and 2 abigails. All the items in chester also got replicated along with chester.

I'm on day 186 and I just deleted my world because I can't take this anymore. Can you developers please learn how to code. A simple "set mob "rock lobster" limit to eg 30" is all you need

Or at least make a new character called Neo who's ability is he can kill rock lobsters with ease.

This bug is literally game breaking to say the least as a result I deleted don't starve entirely and will only consider playing it again if this gets fixed. It took so long to get to day 186 and I had such an awesome base and world that I created until agent smith, erm I mean rock lobsters showed up.

I agree with everything you say, but insulting them is not the way to get an update. You say they don't know how to code, when they made an entire game.

The amount of frustration caused by this bug and the seriousness of it really has me questioning their programmers. All you need to do for a quick fix is simply limit the amount of rock lobsters that can exist in a world. I really can't understand why a game that has been out for so long still has such a major bug that to me seems extremely easy to fix. And why on earth did they think it would be a good idea to make rock lobsters practically invincible. 100 deerclops vs 1 rock lobster would end up in the deerclops's just smashing the rock lobster for eternity because it would just turtle up.

Come to think of it another way to fix this bug is don't allow them to replicate/reproduce and make it so feeding them doesn't cause them to un-turtle when damaged. In otherwords then they would be completely unkillable. I don't think anyone would mind that because firstly they have no loot of importance and secondly whatever gets rid of this bug would make me happy.

On my world I thought It was a good idea to try plant 8 flesh eating bulbs (I think that's what they are called?) And another 5 spider nests around the cave entrance to try kill the rock lobsters but as expected they just turtle up and are then infinitely attacked by the enemies. After I saw that I gave up and just deleted my world which is really sad because its the first time I ever made it past day 50. Got all the way to day 186. What makes it worse is I built such an amazing base and I badly wanted to explore ruins to try build those last few rare items and also hondius shootus (not sure on the spelling of that thing) but sadly no point when your frame rate drops to 1-3 fps. And when I say drops I don't mean it fluctuates from low fps to high fps I mean it is just constantly at 1-3 fps because of these rock lobsters I mean agent smiths.

I remember reading somewhere that when you bring rock lobsters to the surface, they create an invisible spawn point (similar to the tumbleweed, on the dlc). So no matter how many times you put them back on the caves, they will still reapper.

I know how you feel, i had to use the teleportato in my 500 day world because of these things. But on the cave i never had problems with them, the number of rock lobsters on my caves always is constant.

I remember reading somewhere that when you bring rock lobsters to the surface, they create an invisible spawn point (similar to the tumbleweed, on the dlc). So no matter how many times you put them back on the caves, they will still reapper.

I know how you feel, i had to use the teleportato in my 500 day world because of these things. But on the cave i never had problems with them, the number of rock lobsters on my caves always is constant.

My cave is overpopulated because of all the rock lobsters I hearded down there from the surface

I see, we have a true problem here :/ I got it too... I'll do a mod in which you will be able to craft -Rock Sword-. It will be able to kill ONLY rock lobsters, so if they will overpopulate, you'll just kill them quickly. I won't do custom animations, just use night sword anim to do it.

I had this on one of my worlds too so I had to abandon it and start again. 

I won't be using them again - they move so slowly anyway that I didn't find them any use in the caves.  And above ground I wanted them to help out in a fight but they didn't seem to do anything.  So I'm just going to ignore them next time I explore the caves.

It should be limit for their population:

Surface: 30

Caves: 50

Ruins 30

Caves 50, because that's where they're from Caves and there are multiple places they are at in Caves. And when in Rock form, they should have damage dealt to them still because the rock is themselves and it is illogical if they have 100% protection when just rolled up in a rock. And if some of them die in one place, they would populate again, but up to the limit.

I guess I'll have to use the console for my world, thought I really didn't want to. I also have some Rock lobsters walking on water now... DEVS CHANGE THIS!!!

It should be limit for their population:

Surface: 30

Caves: 50

Ruins 30

Caves 50, because that's where they're from Caves and there are multiple places they are at in Caves. And when in Rock form, they should have damage dealt to them still because the rock is themselves and it is illogical if they have 100% protection when just rolled up in a rock. And if some of them die in one place, they would populate again, but up to the limit.

I guess I'll have to use the console for my world, thought I really didn't want to. I also have some Rock lobsters walking on water now... DEVS CHANGE THIS!!!

Walking on water...

I am legitimately convinced that the rock lobsters hacked their own programming.

Walking on water...

I am legitimately convinced that the rock lobsters hacked their own programming.

Me too hence why I see tham as agent smiths from the matrix. They are almost unkillable, they have found a way to replicate themselves infinitely and also they have found out how to escape their world that they were created to keep control over. Co-incidence? I THINK NOT!

Me too hence why I see tham as agent smiths from the matrix. They are almost unkillable, they have found a way to replicate themselves infinitely and also they have found out how to escape their world that they were created to keep control over. Co-incidence? I THINK NOT!

Maybe they plan to make parodies of movies and television shows and major religious historical events.

Here's to hoping for Lobster Who and his red outhouse!

I've been doing some thinking about how they should fix this bug. Here is a list in descending order starting from best solution.

1. Simply remove the invisible spawn that is found on the surface when taking them as an ally to the surface.

2. 2 days after they reach maximum size make them turn to a stone statue (minable) if out on the surface world. However if there remains eg. 13 unmined rock lobster statues then only 2 regular rock lobsters can roam the surface until the statues are mined thus preventing over population(see number 3) as well as offering a source of rocks and flint.

3. Limit the max amount that can be in the different levels. IMO surface should be 15. Caves 35 and ruins 30.

4. If they get taken to the surface they immidiately go agro because of the sun. This makes them attack anything they come into contact with including the player and excluding other rock lobsters. Pair this with removing the invisible spawn to balance them and discourage players taking them to the surface.

5. Their turtle ability is OP it effectively makes them invincible. Balance it better

6. Simply take away their ability to go to the surface world altogether.

7. My personal favourie, make Neo a playable character so that you can kick rock lobster - I mean agent smith's ass :D

Solutions can be combine and mixed eg solution 2 and 3.

Walking on water...

Rock lobsters seem to go towards the edges of the map, and in my opinion that's because they sense the rocks and flint on the floor on another island and can't go around, and while they're trying to get to them forever, they breed and the new rocklobsters end up walking on the ocean, so things to change are:

Make the amount of Rock lobsters allowed in one place (e.g. 30 on overworld)

Make them walk around stuff to reach rocks and stuff

Make their health lower and make them still vulnerable while rolled up in a stone

Why weren't Rock lobsters changed before anyway?

I found a glitch where when rocklobsters attack beffalos and Go in their ***** sheild mode. U feed them 1 mineral and just stand there being vonerbal being able to be killed. In my world day 500 i put walls around cave entrences :3

They should be at least weaker on the surface, even if it's only in daylight seeing as they are creatures used to constant darkness. Would it be too unreasonable just to have the spawn point become something visible, like the Hound Dens? Then if you want the Rock Overlords you can allow them to keep spawning, but if you don't, just destroy the... Rock Lobster Shell-den. 

They should be at least weaker on the surface, even if it's only in daylight seeing as they are creatures used to constant darkness. Would it be too unreasonable just to have the spawn point become something visible, like the Hound Dens? Then if you want the Rock Overlords you can allow them to keep spawning, but if you don't, just destroy the... Rock Lobster Shell-den. 

I completely agree. There should be thing like this.

I like them as giant defense. But saying Klei doesn't know how to code was uncalled for. Extremely uncalled for.

thats because it is such a simple to fix flaw and the game has been out for so long how could they not fix a game breaking bug like this by now. I have read countless threads like this so obviously it is a big issue. A very simple line of code which limits the amount of rock lobsters allowed to be present would fix this bug for the most part. And this is just one example of a replicating bug. I had 2 abigails on my world and 3 chesters due to them sometimes replicating upon exiting caves. My cave itself most likely has over 5000 rock lobsters in it (possibly more and it causes 1-3 fps. 

thats because it is such a simple to fix flaw and the game has been out for so long how could they not fix a game breaking bug like this by now. I have read countless threads like this so obviously it is a big issue. A very simple line of code which limits the amount of rock lobsters allowed to be present would fix this bug for the most part. And this is just one example of a replicating bug. I had 2 abigails on my world and 3 chesters due to them sometimes replicating upon exiting caves. My cave itself most likely has over 5000 rock lobsters in it (possibly more and it causes 1-3 fps. 

Last I checked, the Chester problem was fixed. I wouldn't know about Abigail though as I don't play Wendy.

Also, if my memory serves me right it's just Seth working on Don't Starve fixes now? He's pretty reliable though, if you contact him without saying he's terrible at his job. 

Which reminds me, I need to ask him if the Bearger's self conscious... 

Even so, such a game is tedious. Imagine getting loads of complaints day in and day out. They have to micromanage every little thing they receive and organize it into sections on what would be more important. As they work on greater content, some things will have to be put on hold. Simple fix or not, hard workers do not deserve to have their skills questioned. If it is really so simple, why not post a discussion on code for fixing it in the suggestions forum? That would be the greatest thing to do, if it really is so simple.

All right then if ur so good go mod it in LUA and come back with a fix mr I can mod u suck

Archived