A possible fix for Depths Worms

So, caves used to be all fine and dandy, and then people are like: yay you can spend winter in a cave and not worry about freezing!!

And so, Klei, you add Depths worms.

And now, everyone doesn't bother with the games because you have to go through two layers of worm-filled depths to make some items that you can live without.

These items would be useful mid-game, but now that there are worms, one would probably be overly paranoid and wait till late-game instead of mid-game to venture into the caves.

I think that instead of them arriving in waves like hounds, which is currently a horrible idea, take one of these actions to change it: 

1) Depths worm colony: Have a biome for depth worms, where the current depth worms are worm guardians, and there are workers or something that are smaller/flee from the player, occasionally popping up. There could even be a worm queen or something. Though, probably too complicated to add right now, with RoG in development and all that.

2) Keep the wave-spawning system...kinda. Instead of spawning several,  just spawn one. No matter what, just spawn one. Make it be treated as a fearful mini-boss one can encounter, like a treeguard or spider queen equivalent. Caves are too safe otherwise. Natural mysterious plants could also spawn, resulting in a worm spawning when a player attempts to pick them.

3) Ultra-nerf or remove worms completely. Nerfing could include reducing hitpoints greatly, while keeping damage, or the reverse: keeping/raising the hitpoints while lowering their damage, OR reducing damage and attack speed/movement speed

I like option 1 and 2. I'd actually prefer the worms to be similar to hounds in deserts right now, like, they spawn in a specific area only and don't move too far out of that area. But having them as a cool miniboss with boss music and all would be awesome aswell. Hell, everything is better than the way it is right now.

Depths worms are good for caves as replacement for hounds, but: they spawn too much and even when you haven't even opened the sink hole! Klei change this, please! It is really annoying and I'd really like to change the amojnt of mobs and stuff there is in the caves not only jn the upper world. Can you please do that? Having 10 depths worms just when you've entered the cave and having extra 6 spawn every 3 days?! That's thw worst threat I've seen and it's bulls***! Most people hate it but they want to explore a lot in the caves so I'd really like this to be changed and may be on average after 150 days there would be 4 depths worms spawning every time it's full moon or so cause they are hard to kill you know. And it's best if they don't go at you unless you're real close to them when they're tempting you with their glowberry. So if you don't come near them they won't attack, else it's impossible to live or even explore for a long time in caves looking at the fact that there sre a lot of other monsters down there and insanity coming close, plus shadow monsters appearing without you being insane, they just spawn. So please change this!!!

Btw, speaking of glowberries, has anyone actually picked a glowberry from the Depths worm while they've baited it to trick you?

I never understood why everyone hates Depths Worms. IMO they're some of the funnest enemies to fight in this game due to their unpredictable attack pattern. Every fight in this game should be like fighting Depths Worms instead of "Let's hit the F button and maybe move back if I feel like it."

Christs sake, they never even spawn that much. And you can always just lure them away or use some minions.

And the way you say "Now no one wants to bother with the caves" is very arrogant. You don't speak for everyone; If this was the case, the forums would be flooded with threads like this.

I like the idea of having a depths worm colony, but not having the worms only spawn there. Perhaps they could act as a "roadblock" to an especially bountiful biome of some kind.

I personally think that if we nerfed everything that offers a challenge, this game would become pretty boring. I only had issues with depth worms the first couple of times I went down in the cave/ruins. I didn't understand why they were attacking on both levels, I was being attacked by shadow creatures and shadow monkeys at the same time, and I thought this was crazy. Then I started noticing some patterns in their attacks, in the ruins nightmare cycles, etc. Then they became rather simple to deal with (rock lobsters are your friends) and I never had issues with them anymore. It's the way things are in Don't Starve in general. You get owned (most of the time) when you encounter something for the first time and you don't know how to deal with it. Eventually, you learn and that nightmare becomes a sweet dream with bunnies all around. Sometimes the bunnies become beardlings, but that's another story =)

I do like going into caves, I do like to go in the ruins. I like the challenge it offers, and the additional constraints in adds to your normal gameplay. I go there during summer, winter, I don't care. When I get bored and things get rather easy, there are always some caves to entertain me and offer me a decent challenge.

I agree with world gen modification, one of my early early cave experience s was almost 200 days in and as soon as I dropped down they were all over me... I didn't visit caves for the longest time after and even then it was only to quickly get resources like rocks or bunny men hutches and Run like he'll back to the surface... This is the first time ever I have spent a long time in the caves 8 days (...I think) and only survived cuz I have a family of rock lobsters to run to

The Main Problem I find with Worms as opposed to Hounds is the cannot be Kited in Groups or Tanked whatsoever. If 3+ Worms attack they is no turn for you to attack. Whilst one does its surface animation, which is your chance to attack, the other two will prevent you from doing so as they'll attack you. And if you decide to just stand there and take it, your attacks get interrupted and your stuck in a loop of not dealing any damage as they are invulnerable or already being aggressive and biting you to death.

You can say you can get Bunnies involved or Rock Lobsters that's great, but why is it harder to deal with three Depths Worms than it is to deal with 10 Hounds by yourself?

I think their burrowing invulnerability should be removed, or made easier to deal with, such as taking 50% damage when under the ground, only having a small amount of their body revealed to target.

Christs sake, they never even spawn that much. And you can always just lure them away or use some minions.

If I stay two or three days on the surface, when I go down there are at least three worms right on the entrance of the sinkhole. Isn't this normal?

Archived