General Development

debugman18

Beholder_by_Hungrysparrow.jpg

So pretty.

(I'll stop)

Somehow, I never expected this discussion to turn into this... :3

Anyway, on topic, I agree with keeping both the Bug Tracker and the Testing. I nearly suggested a merger, but thinking it through, I decided against it, as they are actually quite different and both necessary.

Edited by ArcticFox789

I have a proposal, but it's gonna be annoying to do:

Can't we hide/archive threads? Because we could just start over. We still have the Recap of the Day thread to look back on the past few days, which will start when I'm badged. And then we can start up the new threads with a proper OP (which explains what the thread is about, meaning we don't have 3 threads that become virtually the same thing), and organise them correctly. Simply because most of the threads have gone at least slightly Off-Topic.

Also, we can sort out what we currently have, and do it properly.

This is what we have:

My Suggestions are in brackets, italic-ed and bolded. 

"When in doubt, use brute force - Testing Discussion" - OPer - simplex ("Up and Away - Testing Discussion" - OPer - Simplex)

"Moth Lamp - Bugs go Here!" - OPer - simplex ("Up and Away - Bug Tracker" - OPer - Simplex)

"Up and Away - Artwork" - OPer - Lord_Battal ("Up and Away - Artwork" - OPer - lifemare?)

"Up and Away - General Development" - OPer - debugman18 ("Up and Away - General Development" - OPer - Debugman18)

"A Thread on Lambdas and other Epsilons" - OPer - simplex ("Up and Away - Coding Discussion" - OPer - Simplex or Debugman18)

"Discussing the Removal and Addition of members" - OPer - debugman18 ("Up and Away - Membership? (not sure on the name for this)" - OPer - Debugman18?)

"Up and Away - Suggestions" - OPer - Lord_Battal ("Up and Away - Suggestions" - OPer - TeoSS69?)

"Roadmap Brainstorming" - OPer - simplex ("Up and Away - Roadmap Discussion" - OPer - lifemare?)

"Animation Nation" - OPer - TheDanaAddams ("Up and Away - Animation - OPer - TheDanaAddams)

"Up and Away - Videos" - OPer - KidneyBeanBoy [REMOVE THIS THREAD UNTIL PUBLIC ALPHA/BETA?]

"Writers' Nook" - OPer - Luggs ("Up and Away - Writing" - OPer - Luggs)

"Subforrm Test" - OPer - JoeW [REMOVE THIS THREAD]

"Welcome Collaborators" - debugman18 [REMOVE THIS THREAD]

("Up and Away - Recap of the Day" - OPer - ArcticFox789)

I'd quite like some feedback on this.

So... no more clever thread titles? :(

About thread hiding, this is something JoeW said we could do, but it seems we can't. I don't know if he ran into technical difficulties when implementing that or if he'll just get back to it later.

But I agree we should do some cleaning. And remove the "Developer only" tags from everything. I approve of your suggestion. Except for the "Up and Away - " prefix in thread titles. We're already in the Up and Away subforum. :razz:

Currently, yes. But I still envision them as being separate, and useful at that. I see the Testing one as the place to discuss general testing things, including the reporting of possible bugs. Once a bug gets confirmed, it'd be posted in the Bugs one, where feedback on it would follow.

Great idea (as usual), Arctic!

If that's indeed possible with the moderator's current powers, it would solve a great deal of annoyances and make everything a lot less confusing.

I agree with simplex, though, on the "Up and Away" prefix. This is the U&A sub-forum, no need to spam that, as proud as we may be of having a sub-forum ;^P

How about keeping the original titles, but prefixing their function:

"When in doubt, use brute force - Testing Discussion" - OPer - simplex ("[Mod Testing] When in doubt, use brute force" - OPer - Simplex)

"Moth Lamp - Bugs go Here!" - OPer - simplex ("[bug tracking] The Moth Lamp" - OPer - Simplex)

"Up and Away - Artwork" - OPer - Lord_Battal ("[Artwork] Eye-Candyland - OPer - present)

"Up and Away - General Development" - OPer - debugman18 ("General Development" - OPer - Debugman18) i still think this should be merged with the megathread for the time being. Until we have an actual Development Plan, General Development is what the megathread is for.

"A Thread on Lambdas and other Epsilons" - OPer - simplex ("[Coding] A Thread on Lambdas and Other Epsilons" - OPer - Simplex or Debugman18)

"Discussing the Removal and Addition of members" - OPer - debugman18 ("[Members] Fellowship of the Bean Recruitment - OPer - Debugman18?)

"Up and Away - Suggestions" - OPer - Lord_Battal ("[suggestions] Teo should pick the title" - OPer - TeoSS69?)

"Roadmap Brainstorming" - OPer - simplex ("[Roadmap] Objectives and Worldviews Towards Alpha" - OPer - present)

"Animation Nation" - OPer - TheDanaAddams ("[Animation] Nation - OPer - TheDanaAddams)

"Up and Away - Videos" - OPer - KidneyBeanBoy [REMOVE THIS THREAD] nah. i say keep it, it already has a few nice posts. [Videos] Mod in Motion - OPer:Teo? volunteers?

"Writers' Nook" - OPer - Luggs ("[strings] Writer's Nook" - OPer - Luggs)

"Subforrm Test" - OPer - JoeW [REMOVE THIS THREAD] agree

"Welcome Collaborators" - debugman18 [REMOVE THIS THREAD] agree

("Up and Away - Recap of the Day" - OPer - ArcticFox789) [Daily Recaps] pick a clever title Arctic!

EDIT:

I'm glad you agree with me on removing the tags Simplex. The gift of a new sub-forum might prove to be a poisoned apple for the collaborative spirit if we start putting up "developers-only" signs everywhere.

Edited by lifemare
  • Like 2

I like the prefix idea. Very clean.

I'm glad you agree with me on removing the tags Simplex. The gift of a new sub-forum might prove to be a poisoned apple for the collaborative spirit if we start putting up "developers-only" signs everywhere.

I think being able to have developer only threads is good for organization, but so far they've done more harm than good, and duplicating threads into developer only and otherwise will only hinder organization. Threads like "Discussing The Removal And Addition Of Members" really should have it, but otherwise they should be gone.

• Like 1

Roadmap Brainstorming should be Developer Only too.

Seconded. In the case of those 2 threads it would actually be weird not have the tag. I'd just ban its use anywhere we don't want to scare people away from contributing. And we definitely don't want that in here.

What do you say to being OPer of the threads Arctic suggested?

What would you call the Suggestions thread?

Should we keep this thread and lock the megathread, or should we merge them?

Since the ability to make these changes has not yet been granted to moderators, should we summon Joe, for that, simplex?

... with our deepest apologies for making such a mess of the room. We'll help clean it Joe, just tell us where the vacuum is!

(Though we should probably wait for a few more people to be in agreement with this)

What do you say to being OPer of the threads Arctic suggested?

What would you call the Suggestions thread?

Should we keep this thread and lock the megathread, or should we merge them?

Yeah, if no one else wants to, i can keep the Cauldron of Ideas going. 

I'm all up for archiving the old collaboration thread, and keep the discussion going here.

• Like 2

Wait, so are we flushing away everything and remaking threads, to get new OPers and suchalike, or are we just renaming threads? Personally my vote goes on hard reset, and we lock/hide everything bar the megathread and start again according to decisions made here tonight. Remember that we have the Recaps of the Day.

Oh, and I'd appreciate someone saving them before we do any locking and hiding. I'm on a Phone and can't save them, or I'd have done it myself. Cheers.

Are we going to do Winnie? Cause I'd rather not write any more quotes until I know we are making her.

Given the amount of work that you and Sukoushi put into it, and considering it was an idea offered to be included in U&A and was so unanimously well-received, Winnie is as much ours as it is Lord_Battal's. And we have every right to continue work on her.

I'd like it very much if Battal actually told us that himself and made it clear if he's going to work on that, or giving it up. And we'd just have to figure out who'd be willing to continue coding it.

But in case he decides to keep Winnie as his own project (don't you dare dude!), which is his prerrogative, i think we'll just have to rename her and think up some different aspects for her that weren't in Battal's original idea...

Edited by lifemare

Wait, so are we flushing away everything and remaking threads, to get new OPers and suchalike, or are we just renaming threads? Personally my vote goes on hard reset, and we lock/hide everything bar the megathread and start again according to decisions made here tonight. Remember that we have the Recaps of the Day.

Oh, and I'd appreciate someone saving them before we do any locking and hiding. I'm on a Phone and can't save them, or I'd have done it myself. Cheers.

I don't think we need to do an hard reset, Arctic.

Renaming them and assigning new OPers, who'll then edit the OP to better suit the thread's new name, is enough for organization sake. It would be more confusing to have so much and such recent content locked in so many archived threads.

Nothing that's been said in them, apart from the General Development/Megathread/Suggestions trio has really been completely off-topic or useless. And Suggestions/General threads usually suffer a little overlapping.

I'd only hide/delete the threads you mentioned. Maybe start the Video thread over, since there's only a few good posts in there. I'd even keep the Members thread with all its posts, despite it being filled with weirdness, it was still on-topic, and has some interesting posts in it. Other than that, all is good, apart from titles.

EDIT:

There's a few posts scattered around, discussing the creation of the sub-forum and the purpose of the new threads, that are indeed a little untidy and could be left out, now that we're on the verge of coming to a solution to this. But then 90% of threads in all forums wouldn't exist, if all the things said in the process or reaching a conclusion were deleted...

EDIT2:

An alternative to locking the megathread, since we don't seem to be getting any consensus there, would be to make this General Development one into [Moderation] Fellowship of the Bean Internal Affairs, or something like that. And then making an OP describing what matters should be discussed there (forum structure, member orientation, and all sorts of issues that relate to the team, more than the mod)

Edited by lifemare

Since the ability to make these changes has not yet been granted to moderators, should we summon Joe, for that, simplex?

... with our deepest apologies for making such a mess of the room. We'll help clean it Joe, just tell us where the vacuum is!

(Though we should probably wait for a few more people to be in agreement with this)

I think so. But we already asked him for most of it, so... who knows.

Yeah, if no one else wants to, i can keep the Cauldron of Ideas going. 

I'm all up for archiving the old collaboration thread, and keep the discussion going here.

Yes, archive the mega-thread.

Are we going to do Winnie? Cause I'd rather not write any more quotes until I know we are making her.

I think everyone here likes the idea of Winnie. But she's not a priority, since there are more core concerns to be dealt with. It was only because Battal offered to work on her that we started working on her so soon. So if I were you I'd wait before jumping back into writing quotes for her, since much could change on the long run. 

Renaming them and assigning new OPers, who'll then edit the OP to better suit the thread's new name, is enough for organization sake. It would be more confusing to have so much and such recent content locked in so many archived threads.

Nothing that's been said in them, apart from the General Development/Megathread/Suggestions trio has really been completely off-topic or useless. And Suggestions/General threads usually suffer a little overlapping.

I'd only hide/delete the threads you mentioned. Maybe start the Video thread over, since there's only a few good posts in there. I'd even keep the Members thread with all its posts, despite it being filled with weirdness, it was still on-topic, and has some interesting posts in it. Other than that, all is good, apart from titles.

I think we should avoid hard resets whenever we can. Just the threads by KidneyBeanBoy or Battal should be recreated (or not at all).

EDIT:

There's a few posts scattered around, discussing the creation of the sub-forum and the purpose of the new threads, that are indeed a little untidy and could be left out, now that we're on the verge of coming to a solution to this. But then 90% of threads in all forums wouldn't exist, if all the things said in the process or reaching a conclusion were deleted...

EDIT2:

An alternative to locking the megathread, since we don't seem to be getting any consensus there, would be to make this General Development one into [Moderation] Fellowship of the Bean Internal Affairs, or something like that. And then making an OP describing what matters should be discussed there (forum structure, member orientation, and all sorts of issues that relate to the team, more than the mod)

It's just that most of the posts are off-topic and a bit untidy, but I'm fine with reassigning OPs/recreating threads.

I don't know when we'll be able to make these changes, but when we do:

Since i'll be taking care of the Roadmap thread, do you want to take the artwork one Willette?

I'm fine with managing it (i'm not big on topic-starting, so i have vey few under my wing), just thought you might be interested - if you're not too busy with other threads of your own.

PS: Just had an idea for your Daily Recaps thread title ArcticFox789: FoxNews :^P

Edited by lifemare
  • Like 3

Recap of the Day (so far) - [15/09/2013]:
(Weekdays seem to be a lot shorter than Weekends, but that's to be expected really).
Please note that things in descriptions with a question mark are up for debate. 
This will continue to be updated until 10PM, so please check back often.
On weekends, these will be out at around 11-12AM (GMT). On weekdays, it will be more like 5PM. (Yes it's late today :3)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FotB Membership:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former Members:
- Lord_Battal has confirmed that he will continue his work on Winnie.
Creatures:
Artwork:
- Lionant artwork has been modified.

lionantanimation2.jpg

Suggestions:
- Hawk & Falcon - Attacks and kills other Birds and Frogs.
- Vultures & Ravens - They eat Food left on the floor.
- Insect hunting Birds - Eat Skyflies and Marshmallow Bees
- Roc - Carries Sheep off to it's nest. 

Gameplay:
- The volume of the Sheep's bleating is to be tweaked.
- The Storm Ram's light aura has been removed.
General:
Artwork:
- Loading screen artwork has been finalised. It will use some elements of both submitted ideas.
Sub-Forum:
- A clear-out and clean-up will begin as soon as we have the correct powers. Waiting on JoeW for that.
- The idea is to make the thread titles clearer, and keep the threads more On-Topic
- We also hope that the owner of the thread will act as a moderator, so threads are being assigned to a person who will be able to watch over them.
- Only the Roadmap thread and the Addition and Removal of Members thread will be given the 'Developer only' tag. We hope people will respect this.
- We will create a special thread for these Recaps. "[Daily Recaps] Fox News" - Thanks lifemare!
Behaviours:
Decisions:
- Cloudberry Bushes will NOT be replantable.
- The Shopkeeper explodes and causes Lightning to rain down if you attack him.
- Golden Eggs will be a heat source. (How rare should they be?)
- Fire drain is 10x faster in the Cloud Realm. This makes Night Lights more appealing.
Animation:
Tutorial:
@TheDanaAddams put together a guide for everyone about Spriter!
Bugs:
Current:
- Periodic stutter - Every 3-4 seconds. This is a bug, and is being worked on.

Fixed:
- The Moose no longer lays two Eggs at a time.

All I've got for today. Surprisingly short, wasn't it? :grin:

Edited by ArcticFox789
  • Like 4