Dupes open door to get through but then freeze for about 10 seconds

SchlauFuchs
  • Branch: Preview Branch Version: Windows Fixed

Hi, 

I am observing dupes opening a door but then do not step though but freeze. This fixes itself after a while, but it is irritating. I have seen this most often when two dupes want to pass through a door at the same time, the second dupe then has the problem. It also happens when the activity the dupe wants to do is very close to the other side of the door. In such a case I see them do their task while frozen.

Insiders Joke Cycle 486.sav

Steps to Reproduce

it's something that seems to occur randomly.

• Like 1

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

I have the same problem on all doors regardless of type, I have already left your save but the problem has not yet been fixed. The only thing I can say that the error is not always and very often on the newly built doors. After a while an error with freezing passes. And after a while it appears again.

Share this comment

I'm also randomly experiencing this issue. Most often when a task is close to the other side of the door. They freeze before they go though. Very annoying. Not sure how to reproduce. 

Share this comment

I am seeing this bug as well. Often when a task is close to the other side of the door, such as mining or building ladders, the dupe freezes but the work continues, albeit more slowly.

I have also seen where the dupe just stops completely for 10 seconds or so, no work is accomplished, and then the dupe leaves.

It does not happen consistently, but is common enough to affect gameplay.

Edited by Eli Astronomic
Added video

Share this comment

They apparently do that when they open the door and start doing some action like mining or collecting something on the ground. They still do the action in the end, but visually they get stuck behind the door.

Share this comment

38 minutes ago, Foxmanx7 said:

They apparently do that when they open the door and start doing some action like mining or collecting something on the ground. They still do the action in the end, but visually they get stuck behind the door.

In the video posted by Eli you can see the stairs being constructed behind the door

Share this comment

I've seen this a lot in my builds. What seems to be happening is the door closing interrupts the dupe's task animation, but allows their task to complete, but fail on completing, causing the dupe to then redo the task through the closed door without an animation or progress bar. The end result is dupes appearing to just stand there and taking twice as long to do their task.

This is happening still on the current preview branch (467765) and also on Linux (I use Linux, lshw output and Player.log attached).

Player.log lshw_output.txt

• Like 1

Share this comment

This bug occurs constantly and is really annoying. Things take longer, and sometimes dupes get actually entombed in automated doors where they suffocate unless another dupe sets the door to open. That occurs mostly with unpowered airtight doors.

I currently have no mods active whatsoever.

Share this comment

I keep experiencing the same bug. As this is clearly a case that can be handled in multiple ways, maybe it is an idea to give some opinions on how we think it should be handled?

1. Dupes perform tasks through closed doors without opening them. To me this feels like something easily exploited, and I don't like it.
  2. Dupes hold the door open while performing the task. Annoying to have a leak of gas for a long time. In my opinion only suitable when there is no space for the duplicant to move through the door, for instance door on the top of a cliff or right next to terrain/walls.
  3. Dupes walks through and perform the task on the task's side of the door. My preferred option, with fallback to 2 when not possible. Smart dupes would also choose option 2 if there is only a short task, for instance delivery, and the total door open time will be longer if they have to walk through and back.

• Like 1

Share this comment

I think I have a very similar sounding bug, but for me, it's new as I've been playing the game (and this save) for years and I've not seen this before the latest patch.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/282741876224688128/875409244294365284/unknown.png

Two people stacked on top of each other waiting near this door in the save below:

door delay bug.sav

Edited by eobet

Share this comment

This is still happening even after the latest update, and is getting really annoying.  When are we going to see a fix for this?

One interesting aspect of this is that sometimes it is obvious that the intended action on the other side of the door is completed while the duplicant is standing waiting to get through.  Other times, the duplicant will drop what they were carrying and give up.  

Note that this is not a 2-duplicant problem as described in the original post.  I see 1 duplicant get hung up all the time.  Interestingly, on many occasions, I have seen 1 duplicant hung up, and another walk right through without issue, while the original duplicant remains frozen.

Edited by Misca
  • Like 1

Share this comment

Seems this is still not fixed. I have the same thing happen in my game. Its especialy annoying if you have to transport much stuff from one side to the other. Basicaly half of the day in total the dupes are just standing there doing nothing. 

Edited by G315t

Share this comment

Just tried the new update... did they fix this? I didn't see the behavior anymore in the latest patch (which is great), but I also do not see any mention in the patch notes, and the thread is still open...

Share this comment

On 12/3/2021 at 4:28 AM, EricKlei said:

Changed Status to Fixed

Fixed in public testing.

Still exists in build 497575

Edited by scav
edit posting quality

Share this comment