The voidwalking glitch/exploit in Caves

qwertyxavier904
  • Pending

So you can voidwalk(in caves and maybe surface) fairly easily with simply a gate and a fence.

This glitch can allow for players to go to the atruim biome with little to no effort. (Or any notable places in caves.) And you can also skip worm waves too.

(You can also "voidwalk" on water with a different method, but sadly I have no idea how THAT works. If it is possible it would render the sea related things in game to be obsolete.) 

Steps to Reproduce

1. craft a fence and a gate 2. go down to caves 3. find a corner in the caves(mainly a place where there is a huge void) 4. place your fence and gate like the picture is showing 5. now open the gate and walk into it. 6. once you have done that simply close the gate and now you are voidwalking! (or you may have drowned if done on surface)image.png.983fe9900f006ed6c4476573afb1d94f.png

• Like 2
  • Wavey 1

User Feedback

Before fixing void walking I would like to see a way to make proper void (wall?) bridges (similar to docks or boat bridges case). They could be expensive, have limitations of location and/or use, but they have potential to be interesting mechanic. Praying for convenient tentacle location (which is unchangeable on top of that) is not interesting.

For example, condition could be to make 2 special structures (green moonlense-based?) in connection points, and as long as no obstacles (land tiles, etc.) are detected, bridge would form (straight line). With ability to remove it, of course.

Bridge could swag and induce insanity effects the stronger the more time player spends on it, eventually leading to death/teleportation to bridge starting point, thus limiting ability to make and use artificial land while making it usable and interesting.

But it's just example which I didn't think a lot about, surely something more interesting can be added.

Edited by Pig Princess
  • Like 1

Share this comment

1 hour ago, Pig Princess said:

Before fixing void walking I would like to see a way to make proper void (wall?) bridges (similar to docks or boat bridges case).

I agree with this. I don't want this fixed until we get proper wall mining or something to do with caves cause this is the only way of traveling in caves without taking ages to get to places. 
Void walking on water apparently is nearly impossible from what I remember without drowning.

Until there's new mechanics implemented properly I'm fully against this thread.

Share this comment

I think you can voidwalk on water too, but that is a another method that I don't know yet.

Also klei, I forgot about this buttt... you can also cheese bosses like AFW with voidwalking too.

Share this comment

3 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

I agree with this. I don't want this fixed until we get proper wall mining or something to do with caves cause this is the only way of traveling in caves without taking ages to get to places. 
Void walking on water apparently is nearly impossible from what I remember without drowning.

Until there's new mechanics implemented properly I'm fully against this thread.

Klei originally designed the caves to be branched out and hard to traverse. It is intentional design and was meant to be difficult to traverse. I could get behind a rework adding bridges in caves, but for the time being voidwalking was never intended to be a part of the game. Regardless of the addition of caves or not, it was never intended to be a way to traverse caves to begin with, it makes no sense to me to oppose leaving what is purely a bug/exploit in the game 

Share this comment

1 hour ago, thegreatmanagement said:

Klei originally designed the caves to be branched out and hard to traverse. It is intentional design and was meant to be difficult to traverse. I could get behind a rework adding bridges in caves, but for the time being voidwalking was never intended to be a part of the game. Regardless of the addition of caves or not, it was never intended to be a way to traverse caves to begin with, it makes no sense to me to oppose leaving what is purely a bug/exploit in the game 

Your choice entirely how you want to play, but as I said - if there no alternatives, this really doesn't need a fix. Caves weren't changed up much since it launched and had nothing but added new area - lunar grotto and archives. I'd rather wait till cave updates roll in before any immediate changes happens. 

• Like 1

Share this comment

Its a exploit that is very OP that is very easy to do and this bug/exploit really ruins people's experience in the game once they find out that "oh I could just get a fence and a gate and simply walk into (insert noteworthy place here)". 

Share this comment

3 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Your choice entirely how you want to play, but as I said - if there no alternatives, this really doesn't need a fix. Caves weren't changed up much since it launched and had nothing but added new area - lunar grotto and archives. I'd rather wait till cave updates roll in before any immediate changes happens. 

The OP is trying to fix a bug/exploit.

You're trying to find a way to formalize the bug/exploit using non-bug/exploit means that dont exist yet. I'm not sure why the devs would want to formalize the bug/exploit into existence if the exploit was never intended to exist in the first place. 

Share this comment

1 hour ago, PetulantPansy said:

You're trying to find a way to formalize the bug/exploit using non-bug/exploit means that dont exist yet. I'm not sure why the devs would want to formalize the bug/exploit into existence if the exploit was never intended to exist in the first place. 

Ofc I'm normalizing it cuz I find it very convenient as of the current moment. Klei tried to do fixes and all against them and there's possible solutions to that and people modding were able to fix it - but, it's not been fully fixed so... And I remember it was back when ocean was still being developed that sorta issue was being resolved for water walking. I don't think void walking was part of the equation but there were tweaks but never been taken away.

As I've said, until there's cave content to fix that issue and add a new means to have walls or something to traverse, I don't see this as an issue. I don't see why anyone see this as an issue besides the only argument 'dis no make sense' from people. I can respect the fact that people don't like it, but there's no immediate solution to this nor need for what little caves content there is currently. I don't like void walking as being only means to dealing with tiny ledges to get to, but what we gonna do? Imma just hop over and I feel fine about it. Not like it's breaking the game entirely to being unplayable anymore lel.

• Like 1

Share this comment

10 hours ago, qwertyxavier904 said:

I think you can voidwalk on water too, but that is a another method that I don't know yet.

Also klei, I forgot about this buttt... you can also cheese bosses like AFW with voidwalking too.

as a water walker you can but its semi useless apart from mapping the world and thats not super useful if you  know where stuff might be

2 hours ago, PetulantPansy said:

a good amount of things added to games in updates are in fact bugs that were added in a formal way  it like hollow knight you  can hit thru walls and stuff but they left it in (I forgot why bc I forgor)  so i would like to see a way to interact with the void perhaps turn it into a ocean of nightmare fuel   and make lazy explorer let you walk in it i could see there being more cave content if the void was in fact turned into some form of water or something but perhaps instead of using gates and stuff they as i said before make items for this use  there for turning it into not a bug  just the fact is theres a lot of content they could do in the caves but i feel like the void needs to be a ocean or something for that to happen

Share this comment

I use this glitch a lot for ruins and fuelweaver but I don't share it to others except for close friends cause of posts like this. It will probably get patched eventually so best exploit the most out of it while you can. 

Share this comment

3 minutes ago, qwertyxavier904 said:

give one thing in DS/DST that was a bug at first but was turned into a feature.

I forget exactly but ik theres stuff (my 1 brain cell is failing me)

Share this comment

huh it always felt janky but ok.

Give another one.

1 hour ago, JonnyDST said:

I use this glitch a lot for ruins and fuelweaver but I don't share it to others except for close friends cause of posts like this. It will probably get patched eventually so best exploit the most out of it while you can. 

cope.

Share this comment

Void walking can be triggered even the  player didn't mean it. In the atrium, the obelisk can push you on to the Void. (Rescue Me command kind of solves this problem)

Removing this exploit would make this game boring in the late game. For example, if this feature is kept, the players can push all the clockworks in to the Void. Although this might take hundreds of in game days but still adds depth to the game.

Imagine Terraria without the hoik, Minecraft without BUD switch. The game would lose some much depth.

Share this comment

On 12/2/2022 at 12:08 AM, qwertyxavier904 said:

Its a exploit that is very OP that is very easy to do and this bug/exploit really ruins people's experience in the game once they find out that "oh I could just get a fence and a gate and simply walk into (insert noteworthy place 

You don't represent people. My experience wasn't ruined - it was significantly improved thanks to this glitch. And I'm not the only one who thinks so. 

You know what I do when I want to feel immersion and play the game without exploits? I play the game without using exploits.

You can't do the same? 

Share this comment

I want to simply report a exploit that I feel that is going against the design of the caves.

I understand that "oh but its a part of the game dont remove it!" and thats ok.

Im trying get klei eyes on this so they rework caves (like a actual way to go over the void legit and maybe bosses!).

Edited by qwertyxavier904
typo

Share this comment

This is now closed for further comments