What is the point of Mandrakes?

Are mandrakes really that useful? I've never really actively picked them, or used them to make other things than Pan Flutes I suppose.

They do provide a lot of health and hunger, but isn't that lost due to the fact you're sleeping?

And since they've got a limited use and are non-renewable, wouldn't the same logic as most video game items follow?

"Useful, therefor never used"

Am I missing something? Can Someone tell me what are the pros of gathering mandrakes?

I definitely agree with this: "Useful, therefor never used". 

Even when I have 7 pan flutes I still never dare to use even 1/10 of one because they are so unbelievably rare. Making them renewable would be pretty amazing tbh. Much like any other resource. 

Personally I use mandrake as food more than for Pan Flute (since I prefer Sleep Darts)..
You can make it into mandrake soup which is really great...

In RoG, I just keep moving to next world with Wooden Thing the moment I have got all the mandrakes, build enough and gather enough resources
as I never really fancy to make a huge mega base or anything~

Pan flute is 'get out of jail free card'. You can carry one with you all the time, uses up item slot but will save you. You can just put all the hounds to sleep and kill them one by one. Fire hounds may be a problem, but hounds spawning inside base are a problem anyway, fire or not.

As people said, panflutes are easily renewable - trawling in SW or just buying dead mandrakes in Hamlet. Green gems come in play only if you want to create living mandrakes (deconstructing pan flute spawns alive mandrake).

In very bad situations a pan flute can be very handy, but very hard to renew without the use of dlc or teleportato as green gems are insanely rare. I suppose using the soup when you are in a tight spot can be good too rather than loosing a game you have worked on for a long time.

28 minutes ago, The Noon Fish said:

relogging the game changes all the gems on the ruin statues, so you wouldn't really need to do anything but just relog a few times to get the green gems.

I just keep track of how many of each gem I got from mining statues on a piece of paper and when I'm done I just remove these gems and decide how many orange, yellow and green gems to spawn. Of course I spawn same total amount I got from statues.

It's kinda cheesy but it's just saves my time, that's all. Not even in-game time saver, only skips all the loading screens that are quite long on my bad PC.

Archived