I'll help you a bit but I don't want to spoil too much.
1. Work on making a science machine and it's upgrade alchemy engine. Both are very handy to make items so it's easier to survive. Weapons, armor, ect.
2. I highly recommend that you make a crock pot, there are a lot of food recipes but some are very easy to discover and are great. Trust me when I say that when I was new I neglected making it and regretted it when I found how great it was.
3. Every creature in the game has a 'kiting' pattern, practice and you won't really have health or maybe even hunger issues
4. Might be obvious but play the character you are comfortable with, playing with a character that fits your playstyle will make it easier to survive. One character gets stronger the more full he is or weaker than everyone else if he is starving, if you can't manage food well I recommend not playing him and similar stuff yada yada.
5. Need health? Eat butterflies. Yummy. Not available during winter however.
6. Don't over-fuel your fire when not needed. During winter or a battle during the night is when you want to though.
7. Speaking of fires make a fire pit, it lasts longer and is permanent.
8. Need sanity? Making a top hat will help a bit or eating cooked green mushrooms.
9. Beefalo are neutral until mating season, they have red bums (avoid!).
Sorry this was kinda long but I hope this helps you!