More endgame.

Raeku

First off, I must say that I LOVE Don't Starve in all of it's many iterations. Unfortunately, in every DLC I quickly hit a wall where I have nothing interesting to do.

I explore the entire map, build an epic base with all relevant farms, stock up on weapons and armor, kill all the bosses and then...... uh.... build ANOTHER epic base on the other side of the map? Watch my food rot? Troll the forums?

Obviously one will eventually master any game and have to move on, but I feel like Hamlet could be the DLC to, if not break the cycle, at least extend it.

I would love to see some long term goal which takes many in-game years to attain. Maybe even make it worth doing more than once!

Here's my best shot at an example with absolutely zero forethought...

Spoiler

Every year, on the first day of temperate season, a random snaptooth somewhere in the world will mutate into a Snaptooth colossus. This boss will slowly grow, consuming nearby mobs, trees, etc to feed it's unending hunger. To defeat the colossus, the player will have to fight their way through it's tentacle-like vines and brambles, make their way the the head and allow themselves to be consumed.

Once inside, the player will navigate the creature's interior, making their way through a sprawling, hostile terrain, to find and destroy the creature's heart. 

Having defeated the colossus, the player will have prevented the creature from consuming the entire island, including the player's own base. In addition, the player will recieve various other rewards, including a handful of Shimmering Nectar, which can be used to fertilize a Magic Flower (grown from the water obtained from the Fountain of Youth). When fertilized, the flower will grow ever so slightly taller, losing it's newfound height after ressurecting from the flower.

The player can repeat this process (perhaps with added difficulty based on the height of the player's flower to keep this process from becoming a boring chore), slowly growing the flower to more impressive heights after each kill. After fertilizing the flower [insert completely arbitrary number here] times (which will take many in-game years), it will become a Magic Beanstalk, which the player can climb to gain access to a new realm, which the player can explore to find the ultimate boss of Hamlet, the.... uh... Big Boss Guy. After defeating the Big Boss Guy (which will be quite difficult, taking many in-game days and widowing many a pig-guard's pig-wife), the player's magic beanstalk will be destroyed.

Naturally the Big Boss Guy will drop some pretty amazing loot, but not an awesome peice of armor or epic weapon. It will have to be something that the player will want more than one of. Something that can be farmed indefinately for greater and greater benefit.

I've been typing for a long time and don't really want to think about what that reward may be. Any ideas?

Again, I made this all up on the fly and I'm sure it has many flaws, but I hope it helps to get my point across.

At the very least, something like this may serve to break up the monotony of gathering resources for your day 5,000 mega-base.

Bit of a random rant, and I'm sure it's all been said before, but it's just something I hope Klei will consider in order to make a great game even greater.

I would love to hear your thoughts!

P.S. What if this end-game activity required the player to merge all three single player DLCs to complete? Now that would be cool.

P.P.S. I'd love to hear your ideas for a hyper-long-term endgame!

The snaptooth boss is a pretty good idea but you lost me when it came the magic beanstalk. Although I do like the idea of something that you have to use all 3 world to do. Maybe using oil from shipwrecked and... something from rog to bring the iron hulks together and make a boss that drops... something 

1 hour ago, cannonball 594 said:

The snaptooth boss is a pretty good idea but you lost me when it came the magic beanstalk. Although I do like the idea of something that you have to use all 3 world to do. Maybe using oil from shipwrecked and... something from rog to bring the iron hulks together and make a boss that drops... something 

I probably explained it poorly, I know it gets pretty wordy. Anyway it's not too important. 

I like the idea of oil from shipwrecked needed as a component to start an epic boss fight. I would say it could require drops from all the ROG giants, but those are already for sale in the Sty. I can't really think of any other ROG, specific items atm...

Random side note, has anyone found a Hamlet specific use for those items (Deerclopse Eyeball, Dragonscale, etc.)? ATM, they seem to just be junk/collectables as you can't use them to craft their awesome items...

1 hour ago, Raeku said:

I probably explained it poorly, I know it gets pretty wordy. Anyway it's not too important. 

I like the idea of oil from shipwrecked needed as a component to start an epic boss fight. I would say it could require drops from all the ROG giants, but those are already for sale in the Sty. I can't really think of any other ROG, specific items atm...

Random side note, has anyone found a Hamlet specific use for those items (Deerclopse Eyeball, Dragonscale, etc.)? ATM, they seem to just be junk/collectables as you can't use them to craft their awesome items...

You say you can't think of any other RoG items? *cough* Guardian Horn *cough**cough* Glommer Flower *cough*

1 hour ago, Raeku said:

You say you can't think of any other RoG items? *cough* Guardian Horn *cough**cough* Glommer Flower *cough*

You say you can't think of any other RoG specific items? *cough* Guardian Horn *cough**cough* Glommer Flower *cough*

Also, why does it have to be stuff from the RoG bosses? You keep forgetting about the Shark Gills, the Quacken Beak, the Turbine Blades and the Magic Seal.

5 hours ago, Raeku said:

Anyone else have an idea for a long-term (multiple in-game years) goal that could be implemented?

I'm bored at work and would love to hear some ideas :)

I mean, not everything is in the game at the moment.

I'm pretty sure the Aporkalypse will be interesting. However I fear that we may be hyping it up too much.

But I mean the Ancient Herald does look pretty interesting:

Spoiler

ancient_spirit_ancient_spirit_appear_TMP__063.png.94349c147681d5724b2c13ed13c47616.png

Archived