Minimum gems

Hamlet may be linked to ROG or SW, but it seems like you should be able to do most of the stuff that’s possible in the game without leaving. So there should be at least one red gem guaranteed on every map, or some other way to obtain them. I’ve smashed every pot I could find on my map and still no red gem to make a smelter. I can’t make anything that requires a bar of alloy.

3 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Hamlet may be linked to ROG or SW, but it seems like you should be able to do most of the stuff that’s possible in the game without leaving. So there should be at least one red gem guaranteed on every map, or some other way to obtain them. I’ve smashed every pot I could find on my map and still no red gem to make a smelter. I can’t make anything that requires a bar of alloy.

Mine the columns in ruins, these regenerate after a few days and cause earthquakes which occasionally drop red gems.

16 hours ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

Has everyone forgotten about the petrified eggs in the Roc’s nest? They always contain at least one purple, blue and red gem.

This was an excellent suggestion, but unfortunately, when I finally got back to the nest, the petrified eggs only gave me another purple gem. I have four blue gems, two purple, two orange, two green and a whopping 6 yellow gems, but no red gem. I've smashed every pot in every ruin and on the surface, so I feel justified in finally just spawning one in. There is a possibility that there are multiple Roc's nests, but that's just a guess on my part.

I like how in other Don't Starve versions there are place sets that guarantee things like The Ring Thing, which is always surrounded by flowers if I recall. - I like the idea of a guaranteed resource SOMEWHERE on the map, and not necessarily easy to get to or get. Like, if it requires me to kill a giant statue to get that red gem, well then so-be-it.  And if that giant statue is in the deepest part of a dungeon, then so-be-it. I can either hope to find one randomly or go fight that giant... or most likely not know about the giant myself because I don't like spoilers. (Sadly, I'm seeing a few on this forum, people don't hide the spoilers like they should IMO here.)

I made a suggestion a long time ago for stone to be renewable in DST Together, and they made the meteor showers which I now hate, especially since caves can be put in now and I didn't know about petrified trees back then. I believe everything should be renewable, and doable, but I don't believe it should necessarily be easy. Like getting the eyebrella, it ain't easy but its doable.

I love the idea of exploration and discovery in DST. I love the DST games. I'm so excited with Hamlet, just as I was with shipwrecked. Difficult is good. Mysterious is good. Impossible is not good.

Archived