Webber Fixes?

People are already fairly aware that Webber is at a huge disadvantage with this update, and considering he's the only character I really play, I quickly found out specifics. There is a major bug I found that his spiders can't really be placed because interacting with items/mobs on top of the placed nest causes the game to crash (I sent all instances in with reports), but there's also some other things that could possibly be changed so he's at least playable for the moment?

The major thing is being able to destroy Watchtowers. All the civil pigs running away isn't the worst as they don't attack, but the guard pigs make trying to get into sell or buy items difficult (especially trying to run in while poisoned to get an antivenom...). Really, I wouldn't mind that if you had the ability to destroy their spawn house, then kill them so they don't respawn and you can duck in and out when needed. Currently you can only hammer the towers down to rubble, and from there you can't destroy them. You can either hammer them again to rebuild them, or a Builder pig will do it over time. Which means the guard pigs never stop spawning. You also can't light the tower on fire, or anything like that.

For the moment, I'm having to try figure out minor modding just so I can change Webber's "Monster" status and not be attacked on sight, considering no other mobs in the game see him as one. Other things I would try change if I had the ability to would be specifically the guard pigs attacking you. If they just ran away like the rest, there wouldn't really be an issue.

I just played Webber for the first time in Hamlet and got killed by pogs, too funny.  

For interacting with pigs, seems like it makes sense that Webber be able to craft a special hat/disguise so s/he can interact in town without getting killed by guards.  

A craftable mask or something might be neat, though otherwise I don't really mind playing with the disadvantage. I think if Webber's spiders were fixed that would be a good start, considering you can easily use them to farm or protect yourself (Super Secret Anti Pig Spider Village :P), but at the very least some help with the pogs would be good considering they never really stop following or attacking you as Webber, even if you manage to sneak in and feed them.

I mean I don’t want to be that guy but, I’m going to be that guy. Just don’t play Webber... I mean every character has their strengths and weaknesses, and Webber is DEFINITELY not a good character for Hamlet. I mean you don’t see a character like Woodlegs being played outside of Shipwrecked, despite the fact that he is an incredibly good character, at least in SW. The same applies for Webber, he is only good in certain scenarios.

Personally, I just think new content/DLC shouldn't remove the ability to play a character. I've happily been working on bending the game around Webber's playstyle, and am now up to an easy day 12 and continuing on. I've also solved the watchtower issue-- if you destroy it, then wall or fence the remains off, the builders can't get near enough to fix it, instead just running into the wall. I'm slowly wittling down the towers this way and then can start killing the guards and can have free reign of the town, minus the mysterious stranger who isn't really a Webber only problem, so.

I find it weird the shops are willing to sell to Webber at all, considering the rest of the townsfolk's reactions to his monster-ness. Though, it is kind of funny that Pogs attack him, of all things. And spidermonkeys not being friendly to him, a fellow spider, seems more like an oversight than an actual thing. Having them be neutral towards him would probably be better, maybe they only get angry if he starts chopping down their cocoons. It'd make for an interesting relationship at the least, and serve him some protection if the local guard just won't let up the chase.

But Webber's always been more...antisocial than the rest of the crew. Just something you have to work around, he's going to be one of the hardest characters for this DLC. But not impossible. If you wear the thief hat you can sneak by the guards easier as well, same with any other character who's managed to anger every guard ever.

I main Webber and have made it to an easy day 50, wall off the towers so they cant be rebuilt, leave one open for farming guards, buy a house and plant a nest in the house for a spider farm

With the guard AI, if your careful, even herds of 3-4 guards can be kited

While Webber is by far my favorite character he definitely is not the best character for Hamlet. You can make him work for sure but there isn't really much benefit in playing him in Hamlet. Spidermonkey's should be neutral and potentially tameable like normal spiders. 

SacredScout gets it haha, there's nothing wrong with playing an antisocial character and the extra challenges, but there's just clearly some almost 'bugs' that need to be fixed or tweaked so at the very least he appears to fit into the gameplay, even if it's on the other side of the board. I think spidermonkeys having some sort of connection to him would be neat, but I don't know if they should be entirely neutral. They're like... a lot more "aggressive" and "primal" but maybe just have them neutral to Webber unless he spends too long on their nest? Right now they chase him even if he's nearby.

Archived