So, talking with a friend the other day (the one that got me into DS) I noticed we had very different approaches to exploring the map and starting a base.

He gathers the ingredients for an axe and a couple of campfires and set to find the nearest road. From there, he follows the road until he finds a good place to set a base. So he basically goes through the island/continent/landmass thingie, until he finds a suitable place for a temporary/semi-temporary base.

But, I personally like to go around it. I gather the ingredients for a backpack and an axe, get to the nearest border of the map, and follow it 'till I have marked the whole outside of the map (or a big part of it) gathering as much materials as possible. From there I follow the border of each biome I found and explore the inside of every one of them 'till I find a nice place to set a permanent or semi-permanent base (usually, near a beefalo herd, a big number of beehives or a town of pig houses).

So, basically, he's an explorer while I'm a controlling maniac. :beguiled:

Which one of us are you more alike? Or, if you're not anything like us, how's your technique to explore the ruthless wilderness? :indecisiveness:

I used to be adventurer like you (maybe a bit more extreme... I literally explored the whole map before I decided where to make a permanent camp), however in the latest update I started following the roads because you usually find good stuff. I have plenty of time to explore later, and who knows I might not even need to explore the whole world to survive.I think I like it this way better, I can set up a base sooner.Maybe it's not in a perfect place like it used to be, but hopefully good enough. :)

I used to be adventurer like you (maybe a bit more extreme... I literally explored the whole map before I decided where to make a permanent camp), however in the latest update I started following the roads because you usually find good stuff. I have plenty of time to explore later, and who knows I might not even need to explore the whole world to survive.I think I like it this way better, I can set up a base sooner.Maybe it's not in a perfect place like it used to be, but hopefully good enough. :)

I whas expecting an arrow to the knee joke.

I used to do the circle thing and explore everything as well, until they added wormholes.There is always a wormhole outside/near pigking and beefalo now, and they are right off the road.Another feature is there are stones scattered (enough to build a firepit) all around the wormholes, so as soon as I find one that leads to one of the above I setup my base there. When hounds come I jump through the wormhole to my arena on the other side and deal with them away from my base. It works really well. This new method lets me explore long term and is actually less boring since there is more to do after setting up a base.

I usaully just walk in a random direction until I find a place that makes a decent base. After I have my first base and go exploring I do something similar where for each island I find I walk along the edge of the island until I pull a full circle, and depending on the biomes on the edges of the island I decide if I want to fully explore the inland of the island. Then I move on to the next island and do the samething. Once I explore each of the islands I decide if I want to make a new base somewhere and move my stuff there. Either way I usaully have "sub"-bases spread throughout the islands (usaully near wormholes) with a fire pit and a chest so I can gather supplies from each location and move them back to my main base.