Any plans to make chlorine/flammable gases more interesting?

Heya, I'm really impressed by the amount of content that has been added to the game since the last time I played it (about a year ago?).

I just wanted to ask if there are any plans to make chlorine and flammable gases a little more interesting (i.e. deadly >:D). I had an accidental chlorine leak into my base and I was a little surprised at how it was not that big a deal - seems like the biggest danger was it being unbreathable while displacing oxygen.

Perhaps breathing chlorine could cause a malady that limits a dupe's breathing stat until treated (to reflect lung damage). The longer the dupe breathes chlorine the lower the limit goes, until it reaches 0% (which would be lethal).

And of course a leak of flammable gases should risk turning your base into an inferno. Besides having a certain flashpoint temperature/pressure at which various gases ignite, gases could also be set off by damaged wires and certain machines (probably limited to industrial things like crushers and generators, but also the kitchen grill). For gameplay, perhaps operation of the machines could ignite gas only after a certain exposure time (a few minutes maybe) so that there's some leniency and an opportunity for the player to deal with the leak before it becomes a deadly problem.

Any thoughts or other ideas?

7 hours ago, harpyeagle said:

Heya, I'm really impressed by the amount of content that has been added to the game since the last time I played it (about a year ago?).

I just wanted to ask if there are any plans to make chlorine and flammable gases a little more interesting (i.e. deadly >:D). I had an accidental chlorine leak into my base and I was a little surprised at how it was not that big a deal - seems like the biggest danger was it being unbreathable while displacing oxygen.

Perhaps breathing chlorine could cause a malady that limits a dupe's breathing stat until treated (to reflect lung damage). The longer the dupe breathes chlorine the lower the limit goes, until it reaches 0% (which would be lethal).

And of course a leak of flammable gases should risk turning your base into an inferno. Besides having a certain flashpoint temperature/pressure at which various gases ignite, gases could also be set off by damaged wires and certain machines (probably limited to industrial things like crushers and generators, but also the kitchen grill). For gameplay, perhaps operation of the machines could ignite gas only after a certain exposure time (a few minutes maybe) so that there's some leniency and an opportunity for the player to deal with the leak before it becomes a deadly problem.

Any thoughts or other ideas?

Oh yes, I have a topic about new hazards like fire :)

Burn-baby-burn!

My topic about fire here

Yeah I was super surprised after spending hours of game play freaking out about "poisoned" oxygen and other gases leaking in that when it actually happened it wasn't an issue... The dups even run off to breath in poisoned oxygen by the lung full with no side effects, the only reason I bother cleaning it is to stop the possible spreading of germs should any get past my airlocks.

Would love to see some decent side effects from it all, granted they would then need to fix up the path finding for complicated airlock systems (which I don't bother with any more since I learnt you can just use "water locks" on the far side of Atmo suits docks with no penalty).

Archived