Suggestion: Cheap Hayfever Reduction Item (akin to whirly fan in DST)

I think hayfever is a difficult hazard to manage, even when you know what you need ahead of time. I was thinking that maybe some kind of cheap item could be crafted without the need for an alchemy engine to help deal with it just a little bit, like how the whirly fan is cheap and available from the start in Don't Starve Together to help combat overheating.

My idea was for perhaps some kind of hypoallergenic tissue, maybe just single use, maybe a small bundle of them with five or ten uses, made from papyrus and aloe. It could delay the sneezing effect of hayfever for a short time, similar to when you put on the breathing mask and take it off again. Or perhaps it's just a soothing tissue, again made of papyrus and aloe, that would restore a couple sneezes' worth of sanity when the hayfever leaf/flower effect is on the screen, so that you can't use it during other seasons to get easy sanity. I would also perhaps suggest a handkerchief that does the same thing, but maybe with more uses, and crafted from cloth instead.

It wouldn't need a fancy new animation or anything, either. Could be just like when you use a healing item, just instead of healing health points, it heals sanity. Or delays the sneezing, however it might work.

Let poor Wilson blow his nose when he's suffering from allergies!

55008d211a2f3-kleenexlotionaloe-xln.jpg&

You have quite a few options with hayfever season. First off, there is "whirly fan" of sorts. Its called an oscillating fan, cost a gear, two electical doodads, and two alloys with an alchemy engine. In its range, hayfever is gone. The second option is the gas mask under dress for 4 peagawk feathers, one pigskin, and one cloth (which you can easily get by hammering the balloon). All you need to do is put the mask on for a few seconds when hayfever shows up and then wait for like 30 seconds before putting on and off again.

Or you can do what I did during my first encounter with it, which was live with it. I used that time to farm nightmare fuel b/c nightmare fuel = $$$. It's only an issue if you can't kill nightmares. Other than that, hayfever wasn't a threat for me.

Oh. Maybe if it were a little clearer what nettles did, I wouldn't have sneezed myself crazy and died in my first hayfever season. ^o^;>

EDIT: And also if nettles were obtainable during hayfever season, I think you can only pick them the season before. I think. I could be mistaken. The tissues or whatever other item would be a replacement if you run out of nettles or never got any when they were in season. Because if you're in hayfever season and have no nettles and don't have everything for the more expensive items that help, you're kind of stuck. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Because the thing about the whirly fan is that it's made with materials you can get easily all the time. I think nettles might be something like ice, which you have to get the season before you need it, and if you don't, there are other means of dealing with heat, like the fan and the endothermic fire.

Or maybe hayfever is meant to be the big challenge of this world, and it's supposed to kick your butt if you haven't properly prepared well in advance. In which case, it's doing its job quite well. XD

Archived