Compressor - How we actually move heat

The idea would be to create a compressor and a radiator.  Due to the game not actually having the heat of vaporization cost, (making a liquid a gas absorbs TONS of heat energy), you could hide the absence of that mechanic in a building and allow for HVAC.

The best way to look at it would be like your heat pump at your house.  You pump a gas refrigerant to the outdoor unit, (that big outside box with the fan in the middle of it) and it compresses the gas into a liquid.  Doing this forces the heat out to make it a liquid.  You then pump that cooler liquid into the indoor unit, and it goes through a radiator that allows the liquid to become a gas, sucking all the heat out of the area around it.

The "Compressor" would create heat, and the radiator, or "indoor" unit would remove heat.  You would have two sets of pipes, one would be for liquid, (moving from the compressor to the radiator) and then you would have a gas line, (moving from the radiator back to the compressor.

This is how we move heat in real life and it is much more intuitive to move it this way.  You would just set your temperature change for each different chemical.  However you would need to make a refrigerant for the game.  Maybe freezing cold ammonia geysers!!!!!  It would need to be a chemical that can transfer between liquid and gas in a realistic range.  (why we use chemicals call refrigerants to move heat)

This would be an entirely new mechanic added to the game. It would require altering transistion temperatures based on the pressure. It`s a lot of work at this stage of the game and i`m not sure if the devs will go this way. Either way it would make the game more realistic.

As for now we got machines to move heat around without transitioning between phases so we have to work with that.

I think it would be nice if vaporization energy and melting energy were simulated in the game, since it would make the thermal physics a lot more realistic and should not be too hard to implement. For example, it would cause melting to happen a lot more slowly. A pile of 20 tonnes of ice will gradually melt instead of releasing its entire contents as liquid all at once.

Your implementation sounds really unlike ONI physics and would probably be hard to implement.

Still, having something like gas tuner that doesn't break when it liquidizes a gas, but outputs it into a liquid pipe, would be cool and useful. I assume Klei has some reason not to implement it, though. Could be a problem with things like sour gas, ie. two different output types (and phases).

On 10/12/2018 at 10:42 PM, smithdl said:

..."You then pump that cooler liquid into the indoor unit, and it goes through a radiator that allows the liquid to become a gas, sucking all the heat out of the area around it."...

So basically allowing a liquid to gas state change with the games pipes. Probably for simplification, game logic and performance reasons Klei decided to not allow a state change within a pipe.

This does not mean Im for or against a state change within the games pipes. I got common in building radiators and pumping fluids or gas through dedicated pipes in the game.

On 10/12/2018 at 10:42 PM, smithdl said:

..."You would have two sets of pipes, one would be for liquid, (moving from the compressor to the radiator) and then you would have a gas line, (moving from the radiator back to the compressor."...

Mhh, thats what Im doing in the game. Maybe Im missing something next to the state change request within a pipe and us currently building dedicated fluid & gas piping, building our own radiators in the game ?

Something else as we are talking of state changes and such:

Pump, Copper at -185 Celsius. Find it funny that we have got heat damage but no freezing up of visual moving parts. Probably it has a nip of Whisky every now and then to keep warm. Cheers !

Wishing everyone a good week :)

image.png.95711ba9cc99dea4c60a884d0f141165.png

I don't want to add this mechanic, I simply want to hide its power in a building.

You simply have a compressor building.  This compresses the gas down to a liquid and off puts all of the heat coming out of it.  So, you dont ever change state of matter in the pipes, you let the building hide that.  You still just need gas and liquid pipes.  Then you have a coil somewhere that converts the liquid back to a gas and gets very cold.

It would all be set out puts like a hydrotuner.  The only variable would be the temperature of the gas coming into the compressor as the higher the temp the longer it would take to compress.

So, you pipe gas to one one building, it puts out heat and that same gas as a liquid.  The liquid goes to a coil where it changes the liquid to gas and absorbs heat.  That is basic HVAC with no new game mechanics.

1 hour ago, babba said:

Mhh, thats what Im doing in the game. Maybe Im missing something next to the state change request within a pipe and us currently building dedicated fluid & gas piping, building our own radiators in the game ?

We can not force the heat out of a gas by compressing it.  That is what I am proposing.  A building that takes a gas, takes the heat out of it enough to turn it into a liquid, and then drops that heat on the environment around it.   The outdoor unit to your HVAC system or your compressor to your refrigerator. 

1 hour ago, babba said:

So basically allowing a liquid to gas state change with the games pipes. Probably for simplification, game logic and performance reasons Klei decided to not allow a state change within a pipe.

No.  I want the state of matter change to happen IN a new building.  Think your indoor unit of your HVAC, the one your fan blows air over and cools your house.

You wouldn't build a radiator with pipes, it would be a building that takes a liquid in and puts a gas out.  It would also absorb all the heat energy to do that in the environment around it.

+1

Ah, now I understand - Gas/Liquid Compressor building/station/machine. Now I get you my dear friend. I've just put the coffee machine on *handing over a nice hot coffee to you* ! Perhaps this compressor idea can also be used in terms of hydraulics power, an hydraulic compressor and air/oil distributor to run hydraulics machinery. In terms of environment pressure, the game already creates increasing pressure - The higher a stack of gas or fluid is.

Pressure related recent post of mine - Diving.

BTW Has anybody ever used the Hydrofan ? Its the only item I use 0% on my maps.

Human always understand visuals, well most times :D

You know, there is people which buy a stand alone single unit aircon and then have the hot hose laying in the room. Makes me think of an friend of mine, which read "The manual" before putting the pizza in the oven.

Archived