Frogs VS Dragonfly

Soooo, hello, y'all!

I was playing in a private server, no worldgen tweaks. it's almost end of spring and I want to take a crack at the dragonfly.

I did my preferred strategy - taking along 120 pieces of stone, some pigskins, a hambat, a panflute and a prebuilt firepit, and some fuel. Also, some food and heals, of course.

My plan was to make a full rectangular enclosure using stone walls where i could kite - I usually did this because 1.) i don't know how to make a proper Dfly wall (if anyone could teach me, please do tell me, thanks :D ) and 2.) i just want to make sure that i'm fully protected in case of forgotten hound attacks.

Everything was going swimmingly well... that is, until the rain started.

"Huh, just some rain..." I though carelessly as I put on my trusty Eyebrella.

And then the disgusting, slimy sounds of a frog rain began to make themselves known, followed by two or three frogs falling near the walls.

"Ugh, this is making placing down things worse..."

But as i jog to the northern patch of my pen, i see this... spectacle begin to ensue:

20181002202508_1.thumb.jpg.0e8c4bd21fb31e45e279dc635a287b7e.jpg

WHAT.
I decided to stick around some more... and then there were so much frogs, the Dragonfly began to spawn Lavae. The fight got closer to me at this point:

20181002202640_1.thumb.jpg.5d2df2d44918cdfab6c8e69ecc336f26.jpg

LOOK AT THAT DAMAGE. I HAVEN'T EVEN SMACKED THE DRAGONFLY AT ALL. NOT ONCE.

And still the utter spectacle continues... For some reason, the Fly didn't enter Rage mode, it just went off to spawn more Lavae. I just kept running around, diverting the lavae, and fruitlessly placing down wall segments when i wasn't, while the frogs went to town on the Dragonfly.

20181002202842_1.thumb.jpg.2122e340a2d6df7e81213b832ddde2bd.jpg

THAT. DAMAGE.

They came pretty close to killing him indeed... that is, until...

20181002202847_1.thumb.jpg.48df70e22161e9fe24be44485b257e15.jpg

Right after finally applying the right tactic to get rid of the frogs, the Dragonfly turned its' attention to me. Suffice to say, with my bad reflexes and general surprise, not to mention the fact i wasn't armored, all it took was one hit to take me down. RIP. 

Sadly, i couldn't screenshot that. I immediately rollbacked in panic, am currently on the moment the frog rain starts (right in the morning, yes), and am very much willing to see frogs slaughter one of DST's raid bosses. I'm just going to panflute the thing if it rages, allowing the frogs to wreck it, in theory. Screw the enclosure for now, 'tis a sight i have to see!

So, what do you guys think? Any advice?

i once played with two other persons, and we decided that we wanted other characters (day 1), and we had just found the dragonfly dessert
so instead of immidiatly regenerating the world, we decided to tank the dragonfly (Wolfgang, wigfrid and Maxwell). we do it, and Maxwell (me) and Wolfgang dies, while wigfrid runs from dragonfly. we (the ghosts) tell wigfrid to just tank the fly, and wigfrid does, near a pond. after she dies, the frogs start attacking dragonfly.
unfortunately there wasnt enough frogs, so dragonfly left after killing 3 players and 8 - 15 frogs.

On 02.10.2018 at 4:13 PM, GetNerfedOn said:

So, what do you guys think? Any advice?

It would probably work, since all you need to kill dfly is a pans flute. Can even fist her to death if you don't need your time.

I reccomend assisting frogs a little though since that will yeild you some extra scales.

On 10/21/2018 at 11:46 PM, Diaboliko said:

It would probably work, since all you need to kill dfly is a pans flute. Can even fist her to death if you don't need your time.

I reccomend assisting frogs a little though since that will yeild you some extra scales.

noted, though through the frog fight i never saw her stunned, ever, for some reason...?

Retrying... sans the frogs...

I should really learn how to make the DFly wall. I saw one which used burnt signs to block the maggots, but still unsure if it works... for now i'm still enclosing myself in my dumb enclosure XD

Brought too less heals on the first try:20181027214819_1.thumb.jpg.a5efd51166b80099527dfe9c94b3d993.jpg20181027215151_1.thumb.jpg.fb2192b38258cc44ef2fd0b6b5093005.jpg

20181027215451_1.thumb.jpg.21e82ef4038a675809a31b89c15141f1.jpg
OOoof.

Rollbacked, got some more heals, and now good to go for try number two. Also planning to enlarge my dumb enclosure.

3 hours ago, BOT Tuja said:

Frog rain can kill a boss, but not one that can attack multiple enemies at once.
Also, If you are still struggling with dragonfly, I can show you how I killed it.

The dragonfly can only attack one target at a time when it's not enraged in DST to make raiding it fair. It gains AOE when it enraged, so that's where a Pan flute comes in handy.

reset the world after so many tries, prepared some more in the new one...

and i managed to finally build a proper wall and kill the beast, thanks to an excursion into a pub server which did so. Huzzah!

(posting pics later. Thanks everyone for the help!)

On 10/30/2018 at 3:14 AM, BOT Tuja said:

Frog rain can kill a boss, but not one that can attack multiple enemies at once.
Also, If you are still struggling with dragonfly, I can show you how I killed it.

This is why Goose gets absolutely obliterated by frog rains, and why frog rains are OP.

But yeah, showing how much damage all those frogs did to dfly before she enraged just shows that frog rain needs some kind of nerf, at least against bosses.

Archived