Interest & Skill levelling

I'm not convinced that the interests that a dupe has effect how dupes master jobs.  I routinely level up my dupes across different job and have noticed no difference in the speed at which the jobs are mastered, regardless of whether the dupe has an interest in the job that they are doing or not.

Two dupes, both with skill of 0 in cooking, one with an interest in cooking and the other without.  I make these two dupes Cooks and prioritise both dupes to only cook, both on the same schedule.  both dupes seem to level the cooking job at the same rate.

Does the interest effect how they level up their skill in a particular job perhaps rather than their job training progression.  So for the above example, while both cooks would master the cooking job at the same time, the dupe with the cooking interest, after mastering the cooking job would have a skill of 7 cooking, while the other dupe would only have a skill of 5?

That's

22 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

I thought it just meant they level it faster

I thought that too, but i'm wondering if it's either not working or if it's levelling the skill value rather than the job progress.  On the other hand, I haven't tested this at all for all the jobs, I have only noticed it on certain jobs such as cooking and tidying, and perhaps it is working fine some jobs, just not all.

Just ran a test with 2 brand new dupes. One with an interest in digging, one without. Both with digging attribute of zero. After being made apprentice miners, they both received passive job experience at the same rate. Once they started digging, the one with an interest in digging gained job experience slightly faster than the one without. Interestingly, the one without an interest leveled up their digging attribute (not the job) before the one with an interest in digging.

This leads me to believe that passive job experience is the bulk of job experience that dupes gain. Depending on the job, the task completed experience gain may be so comparatively minor that an interest in that job has little noticeable effect.

The takeaway is don't concern yourself with interests when choosing a dupe. First look for any deal breaker traits then starting attributes.

3 minutes ago, wachunga said:

the one without an interest leveled up their digging attribute (not the job) before the one with an interest in digging.

You might need to redo the test with them digging through the same material, it could be that different materials give different "Experience" when mines, or if it is the same exp but takes longer to mine then that dupe will have mined less blocks resulting in less experience

8 minutes ago, wachunga said:

the one without an interest leveled up their digging attribute (not the job) before the one with an interest in digging

Did they have the same value in learning ? High learning should accelerate stat leveling (not job leveling).

6 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

You might need to redo the test with them digging through the same material, it could be that different materials give different "Experience" when mines, or if it is the same exp but takes longer to mine then that dupe will have mined less blocks resulting in less experience

I used debug to make a corridor of 2 tile high sandstone for each dupe to dig through. They completed digging each block at the same rate. 

3 minutes ago, Djoums said:

Did they have the same value in learning ? High learning should accelerate stat levelling (not job levelling).

I need to have a higher learning attribute as that was the problem. Good call.

Derp.

Archived