Interesting observation on dupe and critter pathing

Ever wanted to stop dupe or critter movement but didn't want to mess up you base design with big blocks of doors/tiles?

Here's an interesting observation. Place two screen doors like this and dupes/critters cannot path across them if there is at least two tiles to the floor below.

At the same time dreckos can move across the screen door on the underside but cannot path to the level above.

image.thumb.png.4c2e1943af782a0cf41b84aa8c6b355f.png

21 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

That is really unusual, I wonder why that happens, does the same happen if it were normal tiles on the left and right and just two or more vertical doors? Can dupes even climb on top of a vertical door usually? I have never tried.

If you lock the doors they can climb over them. It does not matter if it's regular tiles. If there is only one door dupes can move across as well. If you place the screen doors one tile higher the dupes can climb on top on them, regardless if they're locked or not. If you place them one tile lower dupes can move across them as well.

Note it's a property of the screen doors only, not other doors.

They cannot path across vertical airlocks either if they are in the ground.

door.thumb.png.8d135e3146477562f2d534f4cb0b8999.png

There are ways to automate the accessibility (although I don't really like how it looks).

door-automated-2.thumb.png.cb15be1723dd8d766085aab927212c64.pngdoor-automated.thumb.png.9ec1c8f1a9574440e8209451df819e4c.png

What I would find useful is a simple automatable one-way passage. I've come up with this one. Upper door is set to grant access to the right only.

one-way-airlock.thumb.png.cae871a0ed6faa58815f52038a9a668b.png

one-way-airlock-2.thumb.png.87f521366f7cc2c9a1005780c5d37eae.png

I'm pretty sure it's a bug.  I first encountered it trying to create a bathroom setup with a deodorizer on a vertical door that leads down to water sieves and compost (pre-expressive).  The worst part is I couldn't deconstruct it because they couldn't interact with the lower tile.

Spoiler
6 hours ago, Mariilyn said:

They cannot path across vertical airlocks either if they are in the ground.

door.thumb.png.8d135e3146477562f2d534f4cb0b8999.png

There are ways to automate the accessibility (although I don't really like how it looks).

door-automated-2.thumb.png.cb15be1723dd8d766085aab927212c64.pngdoor-automated.thumb.png.9ec1c8f1a9574440e8209451df819e4c.png

What I would find useful is a simple automatable one-way passage. I've come up with this one. Upper door is set to grant access to the right only.

one-way-airlock.thumb.png.cae871a0ed6faa58815f52038a9a668b.png

one-way-airlock-2.thumb.png.87f521366f7cc2c9a1005780c5d37eae.png

Couldn't you do that automation with the basic door automation?

54 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Couldn't you do that automation with the basic door automation?

True there is not much benefit in using this version. The last one is something I was looking to do but it turned out to be very simple and not even using the aforementioned door property.

3 hours ago, Mariilyn said:

True there is not much benefit in using this version. The last one is something I was looking to do but it turned out to be very simple and not even using the aforementioned door property.

The last one is major simplification and size reduction of my design, that were essentially two corridors one anove the other.

This might explain some of the bizarre pathing issues I noticed many, many patches ago, places they should have been able and were able to path before, became unable, and it seemingly made no sense.

I will probably not remember reading this topic in an hour and will be equally as confused as prior to reading it. netSd69.gif

Archived