Will we be able to mine abyssalite in the future?

I think the answer might be "no".  Let me explain...

About 6-12 months ago (not sure the exact timing) I decided that abyssalite was completely unfair as-is and ruins the game.  So, I decided to (essentially) stop mining abyssalite ever since.  Beyond just the extra challenge, I always found it aesthetically pleasing to have these large jagged rock formations interspersed with a functioning base.  This undoubtedly meant some colonies were completing fried as I had no access to water or no access to gas (etc.).  Nonetheless, I persevered and built bases with what was provided to me.

Something I might be aware of (and maybe most people are not) is that this restriction has become massively easier to cope with overtime because almost all areas are connected in some way or another now.  Now this could be coincidental (with the introduction of more geysers and buildings) but the result has been that every patch my specific rule change becomes easier.  I can typically get to 90% of the map now having never mined a single square of abyssalite.  This makes me think that it will be impossible in the future and they will introduce something like explosives to provide the ability to get through areas that are entirely closed-off.

Again...Just a theory, but I'd like to know your thoughts.

with new expression update, you can gain infinitive water  by set time to allow dups to go to go piss `10 times per day in lavatory, give bonus polluted water, then boil them for personal use. (water sieve cost sand, which is pretty bad if you have limited resources). 

abyssalite does not ruin the game, it is needed to separate different area before you ever explore to them, also it allow lots of cool mechanic to be built, so you dont have to rely 100% on machine (only result less or about 50% the maximum mass it can be produced), but you can do that by pure physic instead. (for 100% efficiently, actually require brain to play)

Ceramic could be the new replacement for abyssalie, but then, they still not so insulated compare to vacuum tiles.

Abyssalite is not "breaking" the game it`s just unbalanced as an insulator available early in the game. It would be perfectly reasonable if you couldn`t build from it until later in the game, lets say the same tier as plastic and similar difficulty of setting it up. That said we only have ceramic as an alternative and getting enough of this stuff to build something more than a few walls takes a lot of time. You think you got a lot of it and it`s all gone for pipes when you decide to set up electrolizers in the ice biome.

What i think will happen is abyssalite becoming a material that you can`t build out of early (but still mine it). Then there will be a later tech that makes a super powerful insulator out of abyssalite and something (plastic? sulfur? lime?). Along with this change there woould be a lot new insualtive materials introduced and maybe insulated tiles/pipes change allowing them only to be constructed out of the new materials (and ceramic).

But your post doesn't even give one reason why klei would prevent abyssalite mining  in the future.  You said that you think the answer might be no but you gave no evidence to back up your answer.   I can refuse to mine obsidian and play the game just fine but that does not mean that obsidian is going away.

5 hours ago, greggbert said:

But your post doesn't even give one reason why klei would prevent abyssalite mining  in the future.

I appreciate your response.  Just to be clear, I am not providing a thesis and then deducing evidence.  I am observing changes over time in the game and then inducing a conclusion.  In other words, I could speculate why Klei would remove abyssalite mining, but that would just be speculation.

In terms of why I am inducing a conclusion, the central point is that previously I could only explore (roughly) 30%-50% of the map without mining abyssalite but now I can explore 80%-90% of the map.  Your analogy about obsidian is interesting, but it is limited in applicability because it doesn't have the same observation that I have made about abysallite.

Some lessor considerations are:

1. There are many more POIs that breech abysallite than before.  BlueLance speculated above that this is a bug that will be fixed.  That could be the case, but it is really easy coding so it makes me feel like it is left there on purpose.
  2. There are many more areas of "thin" abysallite.  Abysallite used to almost always be around 4 thickness but now there are sections all over the map that are only 2 squares thick.  I am pretty sure this is a change in the last couple of months alone. 
  3. There are more "caves".  What I mean by "caves" are areas that are connected with only 1 to 3 clearance even without a POI.  This rarely ever happened in the past.  My current map has 3.
  4. Abysallite is no longer "required" because insulated walls and pipes now work properly.

Listen...I could totally be wrong.  However, with these observations I wonder if they are making the underlying changes required to turn-off abysallite mining in the future.  I hope this better outlines my thinking on the subject.

8 hours ago, tranoze said:

with new expression update, you can gain infinitive water  by set time to allow dups to go to go piss `10 times per day in lavatory, give bonus polluted water, then boil them for personal use. (water sieve cost sand, which is pretty bad if you have limited resources). 

abyssalite does not ruin the game, it is needed to separate different area before you ever explore to them, also it allow lots of cool mechanic to be built, so you dont have to rely 100% on machine (only result less or about 50% the maximum mass it can be produced), but you can do that by pure physic instead. (for 100% efficiently, actually require brain to play)

Ceramic could be the new replacement for abyssalie, but then, they still not so insulated compare to vacuum tiles.

Oh does that work?  Clever. I’ll have to test that out and maybe have some water dupes. 

Id like to be able to get abyssalite from rocket missions. You can get diamond so that may be enough to farm the fancy shine bugs. 

6 hours ago, 0xFADE said:

Oh does that work?  Clever. I’ll have to test that out and maybe have some water dupes. 

Id like to be able to get abyssalite from rocket missions. You can get diamond so that may be enough to farm the fancy shine bugs. 

Those water dupes will need to run the hamster wheel since time limited so they need hamster wheel next to lavatory, next to a feeder.

I suggest you do this to new printed dupes (instead of one dupes for his/her entire life) for several dozens cycles so they can train their athletic before they can equip exosuit.

They provide 66.6 kg per day so i think it enough to run farms for their food and O2 + H2.

Mass produce them will be bad since it cost your performance a lot, unless you have a super computer to play.

12 hours ago, badimo said:
  1. There are many more POIs that breech abysallite than before.  BlueLance speculated above that this is a bug that will be fixed.  That could be the case, but it is really easy coding so it makes me feel like it is left there on purpose.

There are lots of things that are easy coding, but right now they don't cause any problems to playing the game so they don't need to fix them. The devs already said they will be going back and revisiting the updates and fixing all the problems etc.

Archived