How to get dirt the easy and fast way?

38 minutes ago, psusi said:

How do you figure that?  I have never even seen a PW geyser. Cool steam vents produce plenty of water for bristle berries.  On my current world, I've been growing 6 of them for some time just off of some of the clean water coming out of my toilet sieve loop.  I did grow 5 pinchas for a while from the toilet water and it was using up more than the toilets produce ( the extra water from recycling in a loop... could use fresh water from the steam vent to make more if needed ), but before long I had a ton of nuts and stopped growing them and have just been coasting on that stockpile for quite some time.

guess I should have elaborated on this

I was referring to late game colony which I doubt only 6 bristles can support

Cooling the water is the main issue depending on your power grid sure you can use steam geysers to supply water to bristles and sleet wheat but most players would rather use the 2 cool steam geysers on the map to supply electolizers and oil wells.

I suppose it's possible to make more PW from generators (natural gas and petroleum) but the output will be inconsistent due to an effective power grid involving smart batteries

20 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Yes and no

Cooking will turn the dirt into tiles which will require dupe interaction to dig them up, also resulting in a 50% loss

Dirt can be delivered to and from compost piles with sweeper arms BUT it still requires a farmer dupe to till the pile for composting

What's the conversion rate  If using only 20kg (from the auto sweeper dropping method).   If it becomes a tile.  is the til 20kg of dirt  digging gets you only 10kg back?

Or is the tile actually more than 20kg

I'm just wondering if it is a net positive somehow to cook it still

26 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

If using only 20kg (from the auto sweeper dropping method).   If it becomes a tile.  is the til 20kg of dirt  digging gets you only 10kg back?

bingo, there is not net positive to cooking dirt

1 hour ago, onlineous said:

And if you could get it to convert while being dropped? Perhaps dropping it through hot oil / petroleum? Does it become a tile in mid-air  / mid-water as well?

I did a quick test after reading your comment, I dropped 100kg of pdirt, slime, and algae into molten gold. 

1.png.85cb2f0829636c2bb0b25ced7807350f.png2.png.7b0f9fc13317d268846e1b9cd7f6c07b.png 

The slime and algae turned into 100kg dirt tiles mid drop while the pdirt sank to the bottom were it reached over 1700C before turning into molten glass

3.png.2bf6005ba20529b479ccf1a746d05436.png

Apparently you can't cook pdirt into dirt

6 minutes ago, goatt said:

You can also cook fertilizer. 65 dirt can turn into 120g. Plus you always have unlimited PO2 and phosphorus. 

Cooking is easy. Regnolith falling from sky has the proper temperature.

Let me get this straight 

Use 65g dirt with a synthesizer to turn it into 120g fertilizer

Use heat from regolith to turn 120g fertilizer into 120g dirt tile

Dig the dirt tile get 60g dirt

............... why :confused:

1 minute ago, Neotuck said:

Let me get this straight 

Use 65g dirt with a synthesizer to turn it into 120g fertilizer

Use heat from regolith to turn 120g fertilizer into 120g dirt tile

Dig the dirt tile get 60g dirt

............... why :confused:

Oh I never tried lol. I just thought about it. I forgot cooking halves the amount.:D

17 minutes ago, UziMaster said:

What about tiles broken by meteors? Do they drop the full amount or the halved digging amount? Or even pressurized liquids?

I haven't tested it but if the objective is to to be more effective than composting I doubt waiting on meteors or water pressure to break the tiles is very effective

The yield would be 35x the amount of Pdirt per Pwater than sieves give you, so it would be worth checking out at least. Maybe meteors and liquid pressure is super slow to break them, I haven't tested, but dirt is a soft material isn't it? Should break fairly easily under these forces.

Well it's a mute point now, I tested it by breaking with water pressure and the mass was reduced by half 

4.png.1a58ceef245bfa203e086001dbd323ea.png5.thumb.png.073654b262aa3599bb2de7675084e457.png

33 minutes ago, UziMaster said:

Should break fairly easily under these forces.

not really, even with over 20000kg water pressure it almost took 2 cycles to break 100kg dirt

How unfortunate, no doubt meteors must halve mass as well then. There's a number of things I had in mind to increase throughput,, but no use even thinking about it if mass is still halved.

I don't understand why you only get half mass from tiles in the first place... seems so odd to me.

17 minutes ago, UziMaster said:

I don't understand why you only get half mass from tiles in the first place... seems so odd to me.

game physics ;)

If you don't mind me asking @UziMaster what were you planing to use the dirt for?

Even if it were possible to double your dirt using synthesizers only thing useful  is mealwood and you should be upgrading to better food long before you run out of dirt from the start location.

If you plan to use it on sleet wheat then it also seems pointless as you could double the dirt or use the fertilizer to cut the growth time in half.  Ether way you get the same outcome except one yields a faster harvest

11 hours ago, Neotuck said:

game physics ;)

If you don't mind me asking @UziMaster what were you planing to use the dirt for?

Even if it were possible to double your dirt using synthesizers only thing useful  is mealwood and you should be upgrading to better food long before you run out of dirt from the start location.

If you plan to use it on sleet wheat then it also seems pointless as you could double the dirt or use the fertilizer to cut the growth time in half.  Ether way you get the same outcome except one yields a faster harvest

Problem is, you need mealwood flr glossry dreckos

37 minutes ago, jfc said:

Problem is, you need mealwood flr glossry dreckos

Yea, but not much.  I've been keeping just two plants to sometimes feed one glossy that I only sometimes groom to get to lay eggs and keep 2 or 3 glossys in the hydrogen room to be sheared, and don't worry about feeding or grooming those ones.

1 hour ago, psusi said:

Yea, but not much.  I've been keeping just two plants to sometimes feed one glossy that I only sometimes groom to get to lay eggs and keep 2 or 3 glossys in the hydrogen room to be sheared, and don't worry about feeding or grooming those ones.

Guess i should do that, i have 8 mealwoods in their room

Archived