Dupes wont take from nearest storage?

i wonder, has anyone else noticed that dupes seem to want to take material for production from the ground, rather then nearest storage?

i had a storage container a bit from my Rock Granulator, but rather then go to it and grab fossils, they went ALL the way to bottom of map, grabbed some fossil and delivered.

i also had a storage container right next to my metal refinery, and rather then grab from it, they once again went somewhere else in the world to grab it, EVEN if the dupe working on the refinery were the one to grab the metal needed. THE NEAREST IS 4 steps AWAY! why go 150 units of to find the metal!?

3 hours ago, Xadhoom said:

i also had a storage container right next to my metal refinery, and rather then grab from it, they once again went somewhere else in the world to grab it, EVEN if the dupe working on the refinery were the one to grab the metal needed. THE NEAREST IS 4 steps AWAY! why go 150 units of to find the metal!?

Yep. My dude running the steel refinery would keep running up to the surface to grab 25kg chunks of iron instead of grabbing it out of the storage container 1 floor down... Ugh. 

That`s a granulator thing. I remember someone made a thread about it. Even placing a sweeper arm didn`t help since dupes would just deliver stuff themselves right before working.

I think the dupes tend to pick the material that is closer to them rather than closer to the place they need to deliver it so they will pick up stuff from the ground and carry it to the granulator rather than use what`s next to the machine.

Archived