Jump to content

4k tranformer


Recommended Posts

The latest update bought us the 4kw transformer.  Using the 2kw wires, if we connect >2kw of utility usage, the wires will blow.

I've read the electricity guide that was posted a few weeks ago, however i'm not sure if that applies to the new transformers.  My question is, how can i connect up to 4kw of utility to the 4kw transformer using the 2kw wires? 

Thanks in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Soulwind said:

In general, you can't.  There are tricks you can do with power shutoffs and automation, but you are

effectively still limiting power draw to 2 KW at a time, just separating circuits.

How do do I use the power shut-off's for this purpose please.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It would make it a lot simpler if the conductive wires just accepted 4kw, I guess that Klei want to make it a challenge for us to make use of them.  It's either that or they lack some common sense...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

It would make it a lot simpler if the conductive wires just accepted 4kw, I guess that Klei want to make it a challenge for us to make use of them.  It's either that or they lack some common sense...

Or you could use heavy watt wires on your consumer side...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Or you could use heavy watt wires on your consumer side...

Yeah, that'd work great for powering the Jukebox and arcade machine in the rec room, the dupes would just love the decor!

This is the approach i'm currently taking for the refinery and aquatuner though.  I even made sure they weren't too far away from the main power line, as not to waste too much metal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Craigjw said:

Yeah, that'd work great for powering the Jukebox and arcade machine in the rec room, the dupes would just love the decor!

This is the approach i'm currently taking for the refinery and aquatuner though.  I even made sure they weren't too far away from the main power line, as not to waste too much metal.

You only need like 1 piece of heavy watt per machine visible if you use joint plates wisely. Run your supply wire through a cavity and it's a non-issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

You only need like 1 piece of heavy watt per machine visible if you use joint plates wisely. Run your supply wire through a cavity and it's a non-issue.

It's still -50 decor - 25 for the bridge and 25 for the wire. Compare that to 0 if you use conductive wires.

In fact, you can use conductive wires with smart batteries ... but in general you don't need a juke box at all? I just tried switching to the expressive update and for now my dupes are relatively alive even without it. Their morale isn't strikingly high, but I am still learning the morale tricks. I think there needs to be a better idea what kind of morale I get from food/buildings. A simple "increases duplicant morale" message is quite insufficient.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For morale in early game, I suffer badly with, to the extent that I start shouting at the monitor.  My massage tables are worn out from over use!

I'm not sure if making use of the juke box, arcade machine and espresso machine is going to help much, they seem to consume a lot of power.  I've just plugged them in and I'm not seeing any significant drop in stress.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Craigjw said:

I've just plugged them in and I'm not seeing any significant drop in stress.

Remember that the dupes need time to use them. It`s best to add an extra square or two of downtime for your most stressed dupes so they can use the machines first, before the crowd gets in the room.

On topic: I still think there should be a 3rd tier of wires that requires plastic and refined metal and can go up to 4kW. The current situation makes very little sense. Maybe in the lategame you would use a 3 step transformer system. Heavi watt -> big transformer -> medium watt -> small transformer -> regular wires.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, martosss said:

It's still -50 decor - 25 for the bridge and 25 for the wire. Compare that to 0 if you use conductive wires.

Again, 50 decor is nothing :p 

You guys seem to enjoy circumventing problems that don't exist :D 

Christ, do you avoid putting airflow/mesh tiles down in your bases too? 

I wasn't advocating it as best practice, merely pointing out that heavy watt wire can be routed/hidden incredibly easily for dupe-accessible areas.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lifegrow said:

Christ, do you avoid putting airflow/mesh tiles down in your bases too? 

I wasn't advocating it as best practice, merely pointing out that heavy watt wire can be routed/hidden incredibly easily for dupe-accessible areas.

 

I try to avoid using many mesh tiles, I use them sparingly, as I haven't gotten to the surface yet, I hear there's lots of Iron up there.

My base has a central column about 14 tiles wide, I route the cable in the center of this.  On most platforms with this column, I place the transformers.  I thought this would help limit the dupes exposure to the Ugly wire.  Placing walls either side of the wire is probably a bit too much overkill at this stage in the game.

All in all, i've got dozens of transformers scattered about the base with many wires, I was just hoping to find a way to limit the use of wires, to make the place a bit cleaner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...