Player Quality of Life

With too many hours in this game I suggest the following list of quality of life changes.  I'm sure some of them may have already been asked or may be on the docket but I'm adding in the list of improvements I would like to see that I think would improve game play for the majority.

1. Middle Click Cancel - When placing items by mistake it is an a pain when you accidentally add a pipe or block in the wrong place.  Making the middle click cancel only the selected item type being placed removes the need to switch to cancel and choose the type (or accidentally leave it on all and wreck your creation).

2. Disable Disinfect - Add a symbol similar to the disable harvest to the disinfect tool so that you can mass choose to not disinfect tiles.

3. Change Material - You can easily construct wire over old wire of an old type or insulated pipe/vent over regular but replacing the material is not an option for the same type (with the exception of tiles I see has been made). Perhaps make a check box on construction "Replace Existing Material" or something of sorts so that you could say replace igneous pipe with obsidian rather than destroying it making a mess or making it insulated and converting it back.  This would be very helpful for buildings as well that need to be transitioned to lets say gold to reclaim copper in mid game.

4. Raw Metal to Refined Metal Options for buildings - Many buildings require the raw metal version of metal to make and if you have exhausted your copper supplies for example you can no longer create many basic items.  I don't know if that is an intentional limit but it would be nice to have an option to create that same building out of the refined metal as well.

5. Storage Compactor Options - It would be helpful to have check boxes for "Store Only" - Stored materials cannot be used only stored. Possibly another for allowing "Sweeper Accessible".  Also for help with automation allowing the weight of the storage compacter to be calculated on the pressure plate tile would be helpful.

6. Show germs on hover while dig is selected.  If you hover over a tile with the cursor it indicates the germs on the tile, however if you are digging it shows almost the same tooltip minus the germs, very small change to make it show when dig is selected but it would help with the "whoopsies" that happen when failing to differentiate the tooltip.

7. Materials Listing - The materials available to dupes within reach is very helpful but it is very obtrusive. If it could be a movable / re sizable window it would make it a great deal more helpful.  Additionally listing the materials within reach and perhaps the number of those materials that are currently in storage would also be beneficial. A gear cog could be added to the top right of this menu with the ability to sort or filter materials that are displayed.

That's the major quality of life changes I think would be beneficial to everyone.

To add in an idea for expansion however. With the scheduling in the expressive update an interesting idea would be similar to the jobs board would be to have a "Rules" board.  Within the menu have the player able to set rules and conditions for each dupe. Example : [Catilina] [can not] [pick up] [any material] [above 100c] [any time].

Just a rough idea I had in my head prior to the expressive update announcement. It could make for some very interesting and precise builds and behavior manipulations that would be more advanced than just locking things behind doors certain people can't pass.

All of these would be major improvements.  1 through 4 are all things that personally drive me nuts.  Particularly 2--please top disinfecting the natural gas chamber.  Seriously, it can be germy, that's ok.

Agree with most of these. But some could be made into more simpler systems.

One QoL I would like is that you can build 'Scaffolding', which act just like Ladders, except when you break the bottom one, all the ones beneath will break, or connected, rather. Because right now, big buildings are an annoyingly micromanaging proccess.

It would be so great to have scaffolding put up by dupes themself, as they construct blueprints. I know its an old repeated request by forumistas, like requesting an insulated door or a doctor in the game. During the entire game its building ladders, destroying ladders, building ladders, destroying ladders. Right now Im building an oil tank of the size of a screen, please give us automatic dupe scaffolding. Saves me using the god more for cloning.

On 7/26/2018 at 3:48 PM, Alfons100 said:

Agree with most of these. But some could be made into more simpler systems.

One QoL I would like is that you can build 'Scaffolding', which act just like Ladders, except when you break the bottom one, all the ones beneath will break, or connected, rather. Because right now, big buildings are an annoyingly micromanaging proccess.

image.png

I rather enjoy the limitations of the gist of #4 that the ore you have is all there is. But the general idea of not being able to construct a essential building because a lack there of, is ludicrous in my mind. I would have rage quit ten times had I made it that far to find out...guh. However I still like the idea of being able to transmute metals, that's a feature I can live with, and want.

Germs on the dig tool is also splendid!

Rules board sounds intriguing!

Archived