I like the idea of tenured scientists acting as geologists for our colonies.  I would like to see that function expanded through terraforming.  A late-game research could unlock terraforming, allowing tenured scientists to improve geysers, vents, and volcanoes.  I think it should be a slow process (taking at least as long as it does to survey a geyser), and marginally boost the geyser's output or reduce its dormancy (or both) when completed.  It could be repeatable (with max and min values where appropriate, for the sake of balance), significantly extending the usefulness of scientists into the later stages of the game.

So basically Fraking the geysers.  That normally requires acid (something I've recommended adding to the game), and Sand.

Perhaps Geysers could be a bit like Vespian gas (You require More of it!) in StarCraft, they have a finite amount and then 'collapse' and produce only 1/4th as much, then you can come in and Frak them to get about half the original output.

If this were to happen, they would need to make it that you get more of a sludge of materials than just the material it originally gave, or making acid hard to produce, I would hate for them to be broken afterwards so I am kind of against the idea I like the outputs as they are atm 

14 hours ago, ImpalerWrG said:

So basically Fraking the geysers.  That normally requires acid (something I've recommended adding to the game), and Sand.

Perhaps Geysers could be a bit like Vespian gas (You require More of it!) in StarCraft, they have a finite amount and then 'collapse' and produce only 1/4th as much, then you can come in and Frak them to get about half the original output.

Hydrochloric acid can be made from acid water (H3O+) and  chlorde (HCl) , so I guess in game a 'chem vat'  uilding where one ofthe recipe would add water, hydrogen and chlorine to makehdocholric acid would be a nice enough aproximation. (Would give a use for cholrine as ingredient, which would be nice.)

Would be nice if terraforming could e used for oher things like soil enrichement, a way to turn certain raw mineral into dirt.

I wouldn't mind being able to tweak the numbers as long as the end total's the same.

For instance, making a volcano erupt more often, but producing less each eruption as a consequence (rationalized as building more channels for the liquid?)

This is not exactly what I was thinking about when I saw the thread title. When you say Terraforming (as the word implies) I think of creating natural looking landscapes by putting dirt, rock and plants back into the world for your dupes to relax in and/or for critters to live in. Which would be a great feature to have imho if the game can give us a reason to do it.

Boosting geyser output is just another step in resource exploitation. I do agree with the goal of extending the use of scientists beyond unlocking the tech tree though. Reducing the dormancy of geysers with scientists seems like an interesting option, because some geysers have really long dormancy periods making them unreliable without huge storage backing them.

What would be cool is if you could block them, causing pressure to build up and release it in one go, For instance, right now the pressure magically dissapears, in real life iot would just explode through the weakest point. 

18 hours ago, BlueLance said:

If this were to happen, they would need to make it that you get more of a sludge of materials than just the material it originally gave, or making acid hard to produce, I would hate for them to be broken afterwards so I am kind of against the idea I like the outputs as they are atm 

To clarify, yes acid would require accessing the Caustic biome at a minimum and is more dangerous then hard to make because its made when ever Hydrogen and  Chlorine gas meet below a certain temperature.  It will burn Dupes and melt metal buildings if its spilled, Glass and Ceramics are immune.  Sulfuric acid as a byproduct of Coal burning is also possible.

I was imagining that Geysers naturally run low and their output declines (maybe dormancy gets longer?), then your Fraking partially repairs them.  Not that the Fraking itself is causing them to break.  This means more late game challenge from resource constraints, and hoops to jump through, but keeps the early production plentiful.

I wouldnt be against the geysers going through a period of waxing and waning, but outright running out would make the forum explode in rage XD

Personally I would enjoy the challenge, but they would need to make it that if it is overpressured etc that it doesnt still shorten its lifespan.

I would be interested to see a man made geyser which uses fracking to get a resource. For instance you can pick a spot and set up a building and Frack the tiles, you won't know what material you get or maybe you get a bunch of materials etc. Once fracking commences you can not build over the tile even after deconstruction, The output is based entirely on how much acid you can supply it with?

On 6/21/2018 at 7:57 AM, Sevio said:

This is not exactly what I was thinking about when I saw the thread title. When you say Terraforming (as the word implies) I think of creating natural looking landscapes by putting dirt, rock and plants back into the world for your dupes to relax in and/or for critters to live in. Which would be a great feature to have imho if the game can give us a reason to do it.

I can't find the thread, but I once proposed just that.  Such a mechanic would allow us to plug gaps in abyssalite veins, stopping heat from bleeding from one biome to another.  It would give us the option to construct natural and aesthetically pleasing builds if we wanted to.  And it would allow us build natural tiles in our hatcheries, giving our hatches a place to sleep (not that there's any actual benefit to doing so).

13 hours ago, BlueLance said:

I wouldnt be against the geysers going through a period of waxing and waning, but outright running out would make the forum explode in rage XD

I personally wouldn't want to see geysers permanently exhausted.

Archived