Insulated Gas Pipe...isnt

So here's how all this started. Short of water so I mined some ice and loaded/unloaded a compactor under water with a tepidizer in it. Well I didn't think that it would heat up the surrounding rooms so much even with the insulated tiles. I lost a bunch of plants so threw a gas pump in the frozen biome and started to pump fresh, cold air to my area. Even with the insulated pipe the gas temperature would rise from around -15° (ambient in frozen) to +29° within 7 tiles of leaving that biome. I know it isn't perfect, but I would expect the insulation to be a lot more effective that it is. If I can't use it for this then what else would I use it for? 

There must be something wrong, a change of 44° shouldnt happen in an insulated gaspipe, even not over longer distancees and NO WAY over 7 tiles , even if you would lead it near/next to magma that shouldnt happen in 7 tiles. I lead mine about 80 tiles and lose about 4-6° maximum difference.

Might you got a part wrong and placed radiant pipes instead of insulated ones?

Same issue with liquids. Abysilitte is not enough.  Must be insulated abysilitte.  Having pipe only in air helps (ie do t touch ladders, tiles or even debris on the floor which avoids the heat transfer behavior in CU)

Here is a picture showing it's all insulated.

http://prntscr.com/jwg4i1

And here is the temperature ONE tile out of the frozen biome separator.

http://prntscr.com/jwg5pj

You can also see that I'm using heavi-wire to run one gas pump which still takes damage because I guess that's just too much for it...this is what happens when you pay someone to beta test for them

- you're showing the temperature of the pipe itself when there's no gas inside. Yes, the pipe will heat up gradually over time.

- insulated sandstone will only do a decent job of maintaining gas temp if the gas doesn't stand inside the pipe for long periods of time, and you're pumping full packets of gas. You need to deliver the oxygen from the cold biome to your base quickly, within a fraction of a cycle, or it will heat up to surrounding temps despite the insulation.

From the way you are describing your problem I'm imagining that your gas vents are over-pressuring causing flow to slow way down. Build more vents and place them in different spots, build some automation to slow down your oxygen generation, something to give your air a chance to move.

Or, I have also experienced a situation where the pressure at my suction (the gas pump) got so low that only very tiny packets get sent. Lower mass = less heat capacity, so the gas will be hot when it gets to the other side. In this case, do something to boost the pressure where you've placed your pumps: dig out around them more so there's less resistance to airflow. Move them closer to your oxygen generators.

4 minutes ago, avc15 said:

- you're showing the temperature of the pipe itself when there's no gas inside. Yes, the pipe will heat up gradually over time.

- insulated sandstone will only do a decent job of maintaining gas temp if the gas doesn't stand inside the pipe for long periods of time. You need to deliver the oxygen from the cold biome to your base quickly, within a fraction of a cycle, or it will heat up to surrounding temps despite the insulation. (From the way you are describing your problem I'm imagining that your gas vents are over-pressuring causing flow to slow way down. Build more vents and place them in different spots, build some automation to slow down your oxygen generation, something to give your air a chance to move)

Yea the wires are broken. Again.

Just now, scaldinghotcarl said:

Yea the wires are broken. Again.

I'd tackle the broken wires issue first. Do you know how to deal with that one? You won't be able to solve your gas problem until you get a working power system.

5 hours ago, avc15 said:

I'd tackle the broken wires issue first. Do you know how to deal with that one? You won't be able to solve your gas problem until you get a working power system.

I've got the auto-repair turned on, but with everything going on they don't have priority so I've been manually setting them to a 9 to get them fixed asap.

Just now, scaldinghotcarl said:

I've got the auto-repair turned on, but with everything going on they don't have priority so I've been manually setting them to a 9 to get them fixed asap.

you need to build a 2nd circuit so your wires won't break.

You've exceeded the capacity that your 1 circuit can handle if you keep getting wire damage.

Should build that 2nd circuit before trying higher power things ie cooling your base.

7 hours ago, scaldinghotcarl said:

Here is a picture showing it's all insulated.

http://prntscr.com/jwg4i1

And here is the temperature ONE tile out of the frozen biome separator.

http://prntscr.com/jwg5pj

You can also see that I'm using heavi-wire to run one gas pump which still takes damage because I guess that's just too much for it...this is what happens when you pay someone to beta test for them

How do you have a normal wire AND a Heavi watt wire in the SAME tile?!

1 hour ago, avc15 said:

you need to build a 2nd circuit so your wires won't break.

You've exceeded the capacity that your 1 circuit can handle if you keep getting wire damage.

Should build that 2nd circuit before trying higher power things ie cooling your base.

I think his wire problem is to do with using wires on heavi watt cables... Somehow got them on the same tile?

EDIT: Just looked at picture again, Building heavy watt wire on top of normal wire :lol:

9 hours ago, Oozinator said:

Sandstone, use abbyssalite, only material you can trust more then 10%

Ceramic works well for insulated pipes also.  Never had a problem using that or abysalite.  Insulated granite or igneous are decent, but you will have temperature changes.  Anything else just doesn't work for insulation.  This includes insulated tiles.

Holy schnikies...thanks guys! Both wires on that tile due to the queue and I'm mostly learning still at this point so these aren't built for long term, but more for short term experimenting. Like college, right? ;)

And yeah the circuits here makes no sense to me. I trashed that village and started again.

Right before my eyes I built a airlock door fed 4 or 5 tiles away from a generator. Now since the door isn't being operated there is no current on that wire. Why was I getting a circuit damaged warning? I watched it damaged itself to the point it broke in roughly 10 seconds. Wire shouldn't do that. It can't do that. I'm assuming now that since the generation is capable of feeding a load that the potential and frequency are the same. (assuming that since everything, save the solar, would produce an AC waveform). Now devs, listen to this part. If there isn't any current draw-there isn't any potential either. Now that is a theory and as we know we don't have perfect conductors so I can let that part slide, but watching static wires destroy themselves without any demand isn't something that I liked to see in real life. Given that the insulated is rated for said voltage.

oh boy...buckle up. Rant ahead. But also some theory. 

Even a pump I have that's 240w fed with regular wire isn't running all the time. That wire is good for 1kw. And the "transformer" isn't changing the voltage, so that's a bit of a misnomer. After that door burnt out those wires I put in a power transformer. Want to know what happened to that? Yup. Destroyed itself too. And the heavy-wire plate the feeds the loads the floor above said generator? Broken. Do I really have to go place a power transformer for every 1kw of load? Why didn't it work in this case?

This is getting to be like prison architect. Where we're doing the beta testing for them, and to make the game more lively, and reduce monotony they set the failure rate of regular items to orders of magnitude too high. When was the last time that a wire broke in your house? How about your plumbing? My front door didn't close this morning properly because the threshold was getting caught on the gasket. All my wiring is fine though. Why do my planters need 20kg of dirt every three days (cycles)? I haven't put dirt in my planters in my yard for years (cycles). How about the stress vomiting? If anyone had that much vomit they should be in the emergency room for something far more serious that stress. The priority for mopping is far higher than that of sweeping those bottles.

I get it though. It's a game and if things were boring then it wouldn't be as much fun. But then again I'd be able to queue work and wouldn't have to wait 3 cycles for it to get done. How about those...I had a deconstruct order going for many cycles and it never got done. All priority 5. Just to see what happened I told them to dig a tile right next to it. They ran down there and did the dig, but left the deconstruct until I set it to a 9. Sweep, or empty, orders on the polluted water jugs right next to a bottle emptier..just empty them FFS! Or let me change the AT to just dump it on my mesh floor.

Sorry about the rant. I'm sure all these ideas have been floated before and everything is in there for a good reason.

I'm not sure what was your problem but for circuits : the max wattage you can draw on a single line depends of the less-good conductor you have on the line. You can have a total of 2KW of wattage (idle) on a regular wire, but if you start everything from this wire and try to draw 2KW wires will take damage. Power transformers are here to separete a main grid with heavy wires with up to 20KW to a circuit that only requiere 1KW or 2Kw depending of the wires you're using. Be sure to plug the main grid at the right place of the transformer. For you orders not beeing executed, prioritizes manually adjusted are behind the prioritizes you set at the top right of the screen. If you want your dupes to run to deconstruct something, be sure to put high prioritize for construction at some dupe. For exemple all my dupes have toggles job at max. When I want to toggle a switch, don't worry I got this covered in seconds. For wires damage, it doesn't matter that this part of the circuit isn't being used. I don't know how they choose which wire takes damage, but what I know is that it can be a wire that leads to an unused power consumer.

Archived