Ben Crux Field Journal

I'll Share all my findings here to keep myself from creating lots of threads lol. That said!

Bunny Trap Experiment:

OBSERVATION:

After placing a couple of traps to capture rabbits for food in my newest play through. I noticed that a rabbit was caught in my empty trap that wasn't set with a carrot because I ran out.

EXPERIMENT:

Step 1: I went and found a carrot, then came back to a place that was heavily covered in rabbits and set up 4 Empty Traps in an arch that covered all of the directions that the closest set of rabbits would be coming from.

Step 2: I set up 1 Baited Trap behind the 4 Empty Traps.

RESULT:

1 carrot snared me 5 meats to cook once it gets to dark to move and I can just cook and eat to pass the time.

CONCLUSION:

There's enough materials to make yourself 5 traps at the start of the game. Gather + Building of Traps, an Axe and collecting enough wood to make a camp fire and set up traps. It's also the best way to gather food to start yourself off the first 2 days. At least this is the conclusion I've come to.

You know that you can just kill the rabbits without making a trap? It saves on time and supplies!

That makes sense yes, but here's my thinking. IF I can set up those 5 traps 5 times each time only requiring me to set up 1 carrot before it hits can't see will die darkness. It'll give me time to gather other materials while trying to scout out the island and occationally returning to reset up these traps, in between dropping off supplies in my chests. by the time the sun sets again I'll have 10 meats ready for cooking while I munch on the previous days catch. That at least is my line of reasoning.

The other reason for the traps is at the start it'll take you til close to half your day wondering around looking for more flints. To craft tools an axe + 3 traps to start make for a great first day add 2 more to that set and you'll never starve.... unless you forget to eat like I do sometimes... haha! *sigh*

It's much faster and more efficient to kill the rabbits yourself. Once you get the hang of it, you can catch two or three rabbits with your bare hands in the time it would take to gather the materials and make and set one trap. I think the only thing traps are useful for anymore is spiders (and I guess birds Soon). If you approach the rabbit from the side his hole is on, he will run right into your hungry arms.

Also, if the area you're trapping is densely populated, you don't need any carrots if you place the traps in the areas the rabbits frequent. They will stumble into them because they are dumb. The bait just helps guarantee. But again, your fingers are more effective and cheaper.

It's much faster and more efficient to kill the rabbits yourself. Once you get the hang of it, you can catch two or three rabbits with your bare hands in the time it would take to gather the materials and make and set one trap. I think the only thing traps are useful for anymore is spiders (and I guess birds Soon). If you approach the rabbit from the side his hole is on, he will run right into your hungry arms.

Also, if the area you're trapping is densely populated, you don't need any carrots if you place the traps in the areas the rabbits frequent. They will stumble into them because they are dumb. The bait just helps guarantee. But again, your fingers are more effective and cheaper.

LOL! I could imagine Ben Crux Rabbit Wrangler! lol... this is to funny not to try!... I'll let you know how that goes haha

Actually, I would prefer that the Art & Lore science threads to be in-character. Your individual journals for personal experiments works well here where you can better discuss your findings.

I had considered making a "Science!" subforum, but I think it works better to keep it in general discussion.

Actually, I would prefer that the Art & Lore science threads to be in-character. Your individual journals for personal experiments works well here where you can better discuss your findings.

I had considered making a "Science!" subforum, but I think it works better to keep it in general discussion.

Sure thing, leaving this hear is fine