Let us select what to build with the number hotkeys, also add a Pick Block key

Right now, I can press 1 to open the Base building selection but I still have to click on what I want to build.

I suggest that the following be implemented:

Pressing 1 would open the Base building selection. Pressing 1 again would select the first item in the upper left. Successive numbers would select the next item, going from left to right, top to bottom. Want to build a pitcher pump really fast? 5, 4 would select it for building. Farm tile? 4, 4. Admittedly, this would only work for the first 10-12 items, but it would save a LOT of time.

Edit2: Yes, this system would mean that what key builds which item would change over time as stuff gets researched. The numbers would still be consistent with the grid, though.

For example:

0stetp3.png

Edit: Why, yes, I am a long time player of Dwarf Fortress. The building hotkeys are one of the best features of that game. Once you know what keys select what, you can be a virtual fiend of construction.

Secondly, please add a Pick Block key. I suggest this key default to Q or Middle mouse button. It would select the block under the mouse cursor for building. Mouse over a ladder and press Q? It would select the ladder block for building, using the material of that ladder. If multiple buildings are in the same block space, select the topmost one, or if an overlay is open, select the block most relevant to that overlay. Pipe for plumbing, Gas pipe for oxygen / Ventilation, etc.

I'm sory but I have to ask, why ? 

This isn't a RTS or any sort of competitive game where speed is needed to give you an advantage over a opponent . It's not a skills/reflex based game where speed is of the essence.  And you can even pause the game anytime if you want t oplan your constuction out. Its not even like the menus are that hard or long to navigate either, they are petty big and straightforward.

So what woud hotkeys really bring here ?

It makes it faster for the user. Sure we aren't competing against each other but I still value my time and would like to be able to get more out of it. Also it is just convenient. If you are building a lot of different things in an area it gets annoying swiping the mouse back and forth between the building menu and the work area. The game is already half way there with hotkeys for most things, it just needs to be expanded.

That being said one problem I see is a conflict with priority controls. Currently the number keys that aren't in used can be used to set the priority of whatever task you are setting. I really like this behavior and would love to see it preserved so maybe using letter hotkeys would work better.

On 6/13/2018 at 11:55 AM, Mlah said:

That being said one problem I see is a conflict with priority controls. Currently the number keys that aren't in used can be used to set the priority of whatever task you are setting. I really like this behavior and would love to see it preserved so maybe using letter hotkeys would work better.

The number keys would still work to set priority when the priority dialog is active.

I wanted to suggest something similar, but I wanted to just be able to pick a few favourites that would be assigned to buttons.
This for me would be tile/wire/water pipe/gas pipe, being able to select these just by pressing a button would be a godsend.

Another option would be to have hotkeys like M for Musher, G for Grill, P for Planter Box and so on. that way they might not repeat + you can quickly select another section without having to press escape. If you make those hotkeys custom(in the controls section) that would be even better.

Actually what bothers me more isn't selecting the thing, as choosing the material ... a bit later it becomes kind of important - if there's igneous rock around you you want to build using that instead of sandstone ... or choosing the right material for isolation purposes  ... currently scrolling through them is a pain.

Archived