Circuit overloading

In my opinion, have all your plants feed one or two Heavy Watt wire circuits. Then, where you need power, hook up a transformer and 1 to 2kW of devices with a smart battery on the low end shutting off the transformer when the battery is full. 

If I get the kidlet to bed at a decent time, I'll try to post a couple pics to show how I do it if no one else does. 

I agree with @beowulf2010 chain all your power plants on one heavy watt wire circuit with one of more smart batteries to automate the power plants

Then attach the heavy watt wires to a transformer/smart battery/conductive wire setup to make 2kW circuits were you need it.

Here's a pic of the transformer/smart battery/conductive wire setup:20180504110035_1.thumb.jpg.bb395f8e8045ab23adc97cb87b39b735.jpg

Note: set the smart battery to 10% active so your circuit doesn't have a blackout ;)

To add to this: In a new base the first thing I usually research after some of the basic food needs are HW wires and transformers and then shortly after I go for the rock granulator and conductive wires alongside smart batteries.

This allows me to do the wiring in a final/"correct" way as early as possible. I've noticed that you need about 2 to 4 conductive wire circuits (<=2kW) inside a living area base, depending on the size you opt for and the equipment you use inside/close to your base, so you generally want to plan for separating the circuits neatly right of the bat.

The easiest way to prevent circuit overloading is to just make sure that there's no more than 1000W on any circuit using the standard wires. You might be able to get away with more if you're sure that not all of the machines will be used at the same time.

Later on you can start using the more heavy duty wires and transformers to amalgamate your power production, but even then you're going to want to make sure there's still no more than 1000W on the "standard wire" side of each transformer.

I generall I use 1kw wires for the whole base at all, doesnt matter how much energy is produced or consumed, every lil part of the base has its own accumulator as i call it. Just using a smart battery with two automated shut offs. cause filling a battery doesnt count as consumption and overloading the wire, its just a transfer of avaiable energy. when the battery is empty, it connects to the powerplant batteries, drains the energy untill its full (in less then one second), after that it connects to the consumer untill its empty again aso

Screenshot (14).png

Screenshot (15).png

6 hours ago, Sheo said:

I generall I use 1kw wires for the whole base at all, doesnt matter how much energy is produced or consumed, every lil part of the base has its own accumulator as i call it. Just using a smart battery with two automated shut offs. cause filling a battery doesnt count as consumption and overloading the wire, its just a transfer of avaiable energy. when the battery is empty, it connects to the powerplant batteries, drains the energy untill its full (in less then one second), after that it connects to the consumer untill its empty again aso

I like your design, I have something similar that I like and have started using. The only downside with a one battery design is that whatever you're powering will go offline while the smart battery charges back up. If you add in a 2nd battery, even a tiny one, 2 more shut offs and a bit more automation wiring you can have a continuous power feed.

More expensive per "transformer" for certain, but it does allow you to completely eliminate heavy watt wire from your base which can be a nice trade off.

If ONI had a blueprint function like Factorio I'd never build another transformer again.

Most the time the shut down is so short in time it doesnt change something at all of most systems in comparison to direct connection to powerplants. This smart accu build has imo more pros than cons. No decor loss by heavy wires and some independent energy supply if ur powerplant is off, good for fridges for example.

1 hour ago, Sheo said:

This smart accu build has imo more pros than cons. No decor loss by heavy wires and some independent energy supply if ur powerplant is off, good for fridges for example.

I dunno. All of my Heavy Watt lines are outside where decor doesn't matter and I have the same Smart Battery reserve that this battery only automation has. I'm really not seeing any huge advantages either way other than transformers take more raw material (100 per Heavy Watt versus 25 for normal wire) versus automation using more refined material (More Automation wires, the Not gate and possibly all conductive wiring). 

I'm not saying it's a bad way of doing it, I'm just not sure it's better. 

One of the advantages is that if you want to quickly add a circuit separated from your base it is quicker to run 1 KW wire to an off site location. 1 KW wire can also be run through walls as you are setting up your base. If you already have a Heavy Watt trunk set up then obviously it isn't going to do much but if you are setting up a new base it can help ease the requirements for a new power system. 

1 hour ago, Mlah said:

One of the advantages is that if you want to quickly add a circuit separated from your base it is quicker to run 1 KW wire to an off site location. 1 KW wire can also be run through walls as you are setting up your base. If you already have a Heavy Watt trunk set up then obviously it isn't going to do much but if you are setting up a new base it can help ease the requirements for a new power system. 

OK. I can see that. But I go straight from Manual Generators to a power plant trunk line. Which would explain why I can't see myself using this method. 

Archived