What's the point of traps and lures?

I get that different creatures would require different capture techniques, but honestly what's the point of traps and lures for slicksters, shinebugs, and pufts?

It is easier, cheaper, and in many cases faster, to simply wait for them to lay an egg in the wild and steal that. 

It's easier and cheaper than building a trap that can't take the heat of the one creature you need a trap for.

It's easier, cheaper, and faster, than building a lure chain that you need to micromanage to get them to move along and even when you successfully pull it off it can still fail if they decide to path wrong.

Can't we just give the different tiers of wrangler tiers of wrangling (hatch wrangling, slickster wrangling, flying wrangling) and be done with it?

18 minutes ago, Dukeofdummies said:

I get that different creatures would require different capture techniques, but honestly what's the point of traps and lures for slicksters, shinebugs, and pufts?

Somewhat agreed. Latest upgrade rendered those obsolete.

They either have to tweak wild critter's survival rate/egg laying or to change traps prices to make them at least a little more attractive. By the time i get to plastic i have 3-4 ranches full and thriving.

58 minutes ago, Dukeofdummies said:

It's easier and cheaper than building a trap that can't take the heat of the one creature you need a trap for.

For slicksters, this adds something of a challenge to wrangling them, having to cool the surrounding environment to be able to use plastic traps. I don't think it's terribly unbalanced, though the 200kg of plastic per trap is rather steep.

59 minutes ago, Dukeofdummies said:

It's easier, cheaper, and faster, than building a lure chain that you need to micromanage to get them to move along and even when you successfully pull it off it can still fail if they decide to path wrong.

This I wholeheartedly agree with. Lures are currently completely USELESS. The way they should work is instead of a 15 tile effective radius, they should lure anything within the entire open space currently containing the lure, with something of a maximum range of 50-100 tiles.

By the time you have plastic for lures, odds are you already have egg ranched the flying creature anyways, and set up an effective ranch.

5 minutes ago, crypticorb said:

For slicksters, this adds something of a challenge to wrangling them, having to cool the surrounding environment to be able to use plastic traps.

It's not a challenge though, it's an annoyance.

Wanna move your slickster ranch? Gotta use traps or wait for eggs.
Accidentally hatch a squeaky puft that you kinda wanna keep? Gotta lure or wait for eggs.
Wanna put a shinebug in your mess hall and name it Larry? Gotta lure it, or put an egg in an incubator, (or halt your egg cooking, or close off the mess hall)
Drop a trap with two ice blocks to cool. Golly gee I hope this slickster moves to the right in the next four cycles before this ice melts.

It doesn't take skill or planning, it's just a hoop you need to jump through. If slicksters die below 40 degrees that would take a specialized pen, planning, effort, and time to make it self sustaining. That's a challenge.

200 KG of plastic (every time) just to move one? That's an annoyance.

2 hours ago, Dukeofdummies said:

200 KG of plastic (every time) just to move one? That's an annoyance.

Traps are perfect for emergency situations, when alien spacecraft hits asteroid and atmosphere is sucked into galaxy!

Archived