Wild critter egg laying ?

You can see the egg incubation status in the mouseover and tooltip of any wild/tame egg, but any detailed information on wild critters is hidden. A rule of thumb for wild critters is they usually lay an egg around 80% of their maximum lifespan, and the egg typically hatches just before they die.

It's a bit odd that wild creatures don't actually need food, but it would be a bit unfair for most all of the wild critters to be dead of starvation before the player ever even found them.

1 hour ago, crypticorb said:

A rule of thumb for wild critters is they usually lay an egg around 80% of their maximum lifespan, and the egg typically hatches just before they die.

I have yet to witness this.  Yes, wild critters lay the egg not that long before they die.  But then they die and the egg takes upwards of 10 cycles after that to hatch, at which point it's a baby and effectively non-functional for a while longer.  Which usually results in them starving before they can create a new egg again.

21 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

I have yet to witness this.  Yes, wild critters lay the egg not that long before they die.  But then they die and the egg takes upwards of 10 cycles after that to hatch, at which point it's a baby and effectively non-functional for a while longer.  Which usually results in them starving before they can create a new egg again.

Wild critters don't starve

1 minute ago, Neotuck said:

Wild critters don't starve

Then I don't know how to explain the behavior I've been seeing since Mk2.  Particularly with Shine Bugs, but also very noticeable with Pacu.  The initial world spawn individuals will make 1 egg, then die.  10 to 20 cycles later, that egg will hatch.  But the new critter will not survive until it makes a new egg.  So I get extinctions anywhere I have line of sight.

Archived